The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

2 posters

back to school night

emilylitvack

back to school night Empty back to school night

Post  emilylitvack Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:59 am

Back to School Night
    By Emily Litvack, Fundraising Co-Chair

On Thursday, September 10 the hallways on campus were abuzz with the sound of parents in good spirits, ready to hear their students’ teachers discuss the year’s curriculum—that is, if they could navigate J Building, and find classrooms encompassed by remnants of the pre-remodeling Arcadia High School. With the help and guidance of our own Senior Men and Women, most parents managed to make it to class before the bell marked them tardy, after a seven-minute passing period. Kris Mathison, parent to freshman Trent Mathison, said the night was “crazy” and “like a zoo.” Clearly, the night resembled any weekday at Arcadia High School, insofar as the contained chaos is concerned.
    After receiving a copy of their student’s schedule in the North Gym, parents were dismissed to first period. When they sat down in class—some, if not most, stealthily lingering in the back until told to come to the front—they were welcomed warmly. Math teacher Ms. Kim Sobieck teaches Algebra I during fourth period. She introduced herself to the parents thusly: “I’m the crazed Algebra teacher. Have your kids told you about me yet? Well, I’m sort of silly but it helps keep them awake!” The parents laughed. Her charisma and clarity while detailing the syllabus and class rules seemed to comfort parents, who asked questions like “Do you review the homework in class?” and “Where can we purchase a copy of the textbook?” When the ten minutes of fourth period came to a close, Ms. Sobieck reminded parents, “Encourage them to help me help them. You know, that’s what I’m here for.” The verdict? A winning presentation in Ms. Sobieck’s G-11 classroom.
    But what would Back to School Night be without students? The Apache Pow Wow was an ubiquitous group on campus. In fact, Pow Wow staffers were selling refreshments, collecting donations and distributing the paper across campus. Leaders of the pep squad were in attendance as well. One, junior Hannah _______ came to talk to parents about the program with advisor Ms. Erickson. So in essence, the night was a veritable collision of parents, teachers and students and definitely a strong start to the school year 2009-2010.
    debbiejong

back to school night Empty Re: back to school night

Post  debbiejong Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:54 pm

EDIT 1

Back to School Night
    By Emily Litvack, Fundraising Co-Chair

On Thursday [night], September [Sept.] 10[,] the hallways on campus were abuzz with the sound of parents in good spirits, ready to hear their students' teachers discuss the year’s curriculum—that is, if they could navigate J[-]Building, [delete comma] and find classrooms encompassed by remnants of the pre-remodeling Arcadia High School [AHS]. With the help and guidance of our own Senior Men and Women [members], most parents managed to make it to class [within the seven-minute passing period] before the bell marked them tardy., after a seven-minute passing period. Kris Mathison, parent to freshman Trent Mathison's father [Kris is a male name right?], said the night was “crazy” and “like a zoo.” ["crazy [and] like a zoo."] Clearly, the night resembled any [a typical] weekday at Arcadia High School [AHS], insofar as the contained chaos is concerned.

After receiving a copy of their student’s [child's] schedule in the North Gym, parents were dismissed to first period. When they sat down in class—some, if not most, stealthily lingering in the back until told to come to the front—they were welcomed warmly. [When they sat down in class, most parents stealthily lingered in the back until warmly welcomed to sit in the front.] Math teacher Ms. Kim Sobieck teaches Algebra I during fourth period and she introduced herself to the parents thusly: “I’m the crazed Algebra teacher. Have your kids told you about me yet? Well, I’m sort of silly but it helps keep them awake!” The parents laughed. Her charisma and clarity while detailing the syllabus and class rules seemed to comfort parents, who asked questions like “Do you review the homework in class?” and “Where can we purchase a copy of the textbook?” When the ten minutes of fourth period came to a close, Ms. Sobieck reminded parents, “Encourage them [the students] to help me help them. You know, that’s what I’m here for.” The verdict? A winning presentation in Ms. Sobieck’s G-11 classroom.

But what would Back to School Night be without [the] students? The Apache Pow Wow [The Apache Pow Wow] was an ubiquitous group on campus. In fact, Pow Wow [Pow Wow] staffers were selling refreshments, collecting donations and distributing the paper across campus. Leaders of the pep squad were in attendance as well. [Pep Squad leaders were there as well.] One, junior [Junior] Hannah _______ [?] came to talk [talked] to parents about the [Pep Squad] program [along] with [their] advisor[,] Ms. Erickson. So in essence, the night was a veritable collision [successful gathering] of parents, teachers and students and definitely a strong start to the school year 2009-2010.

Last edited by debbiejong on Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:09 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : more edits to add)

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:17 am