The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

4 posters

Bullying

andrewchang

Bullying Empty Bullying

Post  andrewchang Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:43 pm

On September 28th, students at Arcadia High School from all grade levels attended a presentation in the North Gym regarding bullying in the teenage sphere. Teen Truth Live, a program comprised a speaker and a video, introduced a poignant look into the ramifications of bullying: both in the real world and online.

As the crowd of students crowded into the gym-turned-auditorium, people were struck by the image that hung above their heads. Unlike other representations of bullying, the figure was holding a gun—illustrating clearly the serious face of bullying as opposed to the stereotypically (and expectedly) juvenile side of it. The room quieted as the film started, and the class watched in awe and horror as they viewed terrible and heartbreaking truths: ones that they realized they had to deal with everyday. The film delved into a variety of issues, such as speaking out, connections with other people, and violence and hate in schools every day. Some people were on the verge of tears while others were horrified when the film portrayed the 911 call from the infamous shooting at Columbine High School in 1999.

“I went into the auditorium without high expectations, but by the end I was thoroughly moved,” remarked sophomore Farihah Chowdhury—and her disposition regarding the presentation seems to be representative of the viewpoint of the school as a whole. Despite the seemingly frivolous topic of bullying, the end result was a very topical discussion of an issue poignant and furthermore relatable to each and every student at the school.

–Interview with coordinator of Teen Truth Live, to be conducted ASAP-

Teen Truth Live, as a whole, was an unexpectedly insightful look into the minds and hearts of bullies and the bullied: and the impact on the students was undeniable. Sophomore Wendy Huang put it best when she explained, “It made a huge impact on my life that I never expected to happen from a video.”
    reginaliu

Bullying Empty Re: Bullying

Post  reginaliu Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:05 am

On September 28th [Sept. 28], students at Arcadia High School from all grade levels attended a presentation in the North Gym regarding bullying in the teenage sphere. Teen Truth Live, a program comprised [of] a speaker and a video, introduced a poignant look into the ramifications of bullying: both in the real world and online.

As the crowd of students crowded into the gym-turned-auditorium, people were struck by the image that hung above their heads. Unlike other representations of bullying, the figure was holding a gun—illustrating clearly the serious face of bullying as opposed to the stereotypically (and expectedly [expected]) juvenile side of it. The room quieted as the film started, and the class watched in awe and horror as they viewed terrible and heartbreaking truths: ones that they realized they had to deal with everyday. The film delved into a variety of issues, such as speaking out, connections with other people, and violence and hate in schools every day. Some people were on the verge of tears while others were horrified when the film portrayed the 911 call from the infamous shooting at Columbine High School in 1999.

“I went into the auditorium without high expectations, but by the end I was thoroughly moved,” remarked sophomore Farihah Chowdhury—and her disposition regarding the presentation seems to be representative of the viewpoint of the school as a whole. Despite the seemingly frivolous topic of bullying, the end result was a very topical discussion of an issue poignant and furthermore relatable to each and every student at the school.

Teen Truth Live, as a whole, was an unexpectedly insightful look into the minds and hearts of bullies and the bullied: and [;] the impact on the students was undeniable. Sophomore Wendy Huang put it best when she explained, “It made a huge impact on my life that I never expected to happen from a video.”
    evandelgado

Post  evandelgado Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:04 am

On Sept. 28, students at AHS from all grade levels attended a presentation in the North Gym regarding bullying in the teenage sphere. Teen Truth Live, a program comprised of a speaker and a video, introduced a poignant look into the ramifications of bullying: both in the real world and online.

As the crowd of students crowded into the gym-turned-auditorium, people were struck by the image that hung above their heads. Unlike other representations of bullying, the figure was holding a gun—illustrating quite clearly the serious face of bullying as opposed to the stereotypically (and expectedly) juvenile side of it. Whereas bullying has traditionally been portrayed as something trivial, and furthermore expressed though adult actors who made the entire concept of bullying into something unrelatable and external, the Teen Truth presentation illustrated bullying for what it was: a potentially dangerous issue afflicting everyone. As freshman Andrew Kwok put it, “"The video for Teen Truth was different from all the rest because it was made by kids, not merely incorporating them."
    The room quieted as the film started, and the class watched in awe and horror as they viewed terrible and heartbreaking truths: ones that they realized they had to deal with everyday. The film delved into a variety of issues, such as speaking out, connections with other people, and violence and hate in schools every day. Some people were on the verge of tears while others were horrified when the film portrayed the 911 call from the infamous shooting at Columbine High School in 1999.

Teen Truth Live, as a whole, was an unexpectedly insightful look into the minds and hearts of bullies and the bullied; the impact on the students was undeniable. Sophomore Wendy Huang put it best when she explained, “It made a huge impact on my life that I never expected to happen from a video.” The movie demonstrated to AHS students what they could do to improve the quality of life for others, as well as their campus and their community. And in the same way, we all have to remember that a kind word can go a long way, and that making someone feel included can change someone’s life.
    reginaliu

Post  reginaliu Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:11 pm

On Sept. 28, students at AHS from all grade levels attended a presentation in the North Gym regarding bullying in the teenage sphere. Teen Truth Live, a program comprised of a speaker and a video, introduced a poignant look into the ramifications of bullying: both in the real world and online.

As the crowd of students crowded into the gym-turned-auditorium, people were struck by the image that hung above their heads. Unlike other representations of bullying, the figure was holding a gun—illustrating quite clearly the serious face of bullying as opposed to the stereotypically (and expectedly) juvenile side of it. Whereas bullying has traditionally been portrayed as something trivial, and furthermore expressed though adult actors who made the entire concept of bullying into something unrelatable and external, the Teen Truth presentation illustrated bullying for what it was: a potentially dangerous issue afflicting everyone. As freshman Andrew Kwok put it, “"[delete one quotation mark]The video for Teen Truth was different from all the rest because it was made by kids, not merely incorporating them."
    The room quieted as the film started, and the class watched in awe and horror as they viewed terrible and heartbreaking truths: ones that they realized they had to deal with everyday. The film delved into a variety of issues, such as speaking out, connections with other people, and violence and hate in schools every day. Some people were on the verge of tears while others were horrified when the film portrayed the 911 call from the infamous shooting at Columbine High School in 1999.

Teen Truth Live, as a whole, was an unexpectedly insightful look into the minds and hearts of bullies and the bullied; the impact on the students was undeniable. Sophomore Wendy Huang put it best when she explained, “It made a huge impact on my life that I never expected to happen from a video.” The movie demonstrated to AHS students what they could do to improve the quality of life for others, as well as their campus and their community. And in the same way, we all have to remember that a kind word can go a long way, and that making someone feel included can change someone’s life.
    michellechien

Post  michellechien Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:19 am

Cut to around 240 words

On Sept 28, students at Arcadia High School from all grade levels attended a presentation in the North Gym regarding bullying in the teenage sphere. Teen Truth Live, a program comprised a speaker and a video, introduced a poignant look into the ramifications of bullying: both in the real world and online.
    As the swarm of students crowded into the gym-turned-auditorium, people were struck by the image that hung above their heads. Unlike other representations of bullying, the figure was holding a gun—illustrating clearly the serious face of bullying as opposed to the stereotypically (and expectedly) juvenile side of it. The room quieted as the film started, and the class watched in awe and horror as they viewed terrible and heartbreaking truths: ones that they realized they had to deal with everyday. The film delved into a variety of issues, such as speaking out, connections with other people, and violence and hate in schools every day. Some people were on the verge of tears while others were horrified when the film portrayed the 911 call from the infamous shooting at Columbine High School in 1999.
    Teen Truth Live, as a whole, was an unexpectedly insightful look into the minds and hearts of bullies and the bullied: and the impact on the students was undeniable. Sophomore Wendy Huang put it best when she explained, “It made a huge impact on my life that I never expected to happen from a video.”
    andrewchang

Post  andrewchang Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:14 am

On Sept 28, Arcadia High School students attended a presentation in the North Gym regarding bullying in the teenage sphere. Teen Truth Live, a program comprised a speaker and a video, introduced a poignant look into the ramifications of bullying: both in the real world and online.

As the swarm of students crowded into the gym-turned-auditorium, people were struck by the image that hung above their heads: a figure holding a gun—illustrating clearly the serious face of bullying as opposed to the stereotypically (and expectedly) juvenile side of it. Delving into a variety of issues, the video touched upon issues such as speaking out, connections with other people, and violence and hate in schools every day.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am