The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

2 posters

Passing of Jim Ellsworth

alexethridge

Passing of Jim Ellsworth Empty Passing of Jim Ellsworth

Post  alexethridge Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:52 pm

The end of a glorious era, rich with victorious celebrations and fond memories, was sadly marked by the recent passing of beloved former football coach Jim Ellsworth. After a long and valiant battle against small-cell cancer over the course of several decades, Ellsworth passed on Thursday, Feb. 19 surrounded by friends, family, and loved ones. A small service will be held on Feb. 27 at Our Savior Lutheran Church, followed by a luncheon and graveside services.
    After successfully beating lung cancer in 1966, Ellsworth retired from coaching football in 1995 when his cancer returned. Following treatments, he was pronounced cancer-free up until 2006, when the cancer appeared once again. Through all of his chemotherapy, blood transfusions, radiation treatments, Ellsworth notably kept up his cheerful disposition to the very end.
    To those who knew him, Ellsworth was a tough and passionate leader that many students, and even looked to for guidance and support. Alumnus Forrest Reed, who was coached by Ellsworth during his high school football career, commented, “There are so many ways to describe Coach. I think the best thing about him was his honesty, though. He always told you how it was and made all of [his] players play better. I will always remember Coach Ellsworth and everything he taught me.” Jon Dimalante, AHS’ current football coach and Ellsworth’s replacement 15 years ago, said, “Friendships are meant to be cherished. I will forever cherish my friendship with Jim Ellsworth.”
    Ellsworth’s admirable bravery in the face of personal conflict will always be a major part of his unfading memory in the hearts of all Apaches. Through his larger than life personality, he has made a lasting impact at AHS. And so, in memory of the gentle giant who made us laugh, cry, and believe in what we can achieve together, we say, “How ‘bout that Ellsworth?”
    christinexu

Passing of Jim Ellsworth Empty Re: Passing of Jim Ellsworth

Post  christinexu Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:34 am

The end of a glorious era for Arcadia Football, rich with victorious celebrations and fond memories--one of which was of a 2000 victory in the Pacific League Championship--was sadly marked by the recent passing of beloved former football coach, Coach Jim Ellsworth. After a long and valiant battle against small-cell cancer over the course of several decades, Coach Ellsworth passed on Thursday, Feb. 19 surrounded by friends, family, and loved ones. A small service will be held on Feb. 27 at Our Savior Lutheran Church, followed by a luncheon and graveside services.
    After successfully beating lung cancer in 1966, Coach Ellsworth retired from coaching football in 1995 when his cancer returned. Following treatments, he was pronounced cancer-free up until 2006, when the cancer appeared once again. Through all of his chemotherapy, blood transfusions, radiation treatments, Coach Ellsworth notably kept up his cheerful disposition to the very end.
    To those who knew him, Coach Ellsworth was a tough and passionate leader that many students, and even looked to for guidance and support. Alumnus Forrest Reed, who was coached by Coach Ellsworth during his high school football career, commented, “There are so many ways to describe Coach. I think the best thing about him was his honesty, though. He always told you how it was and made all of [his] players play better. I will always remember Coach Ellsworth and everything he taught me.” Coach Jon Dimalante, AHS’ current football coach and Coach Ellsworth’s replacement 15 years ago, said, “Friendships are meant to be cherished. I will forever cherish my friendship with Jim Ellsworth.”
    Coach Ellsworth’s admirable bravery in the face of personal conflict will always be a major part of his unfading memory in the hearts of all Apaches. Through his larger-than-life personality, he has made a lasting impact at AHS. And so, in memory of the gentle giant who made us laugh, cry, and believe in what we can achieve together, we say, “How ‘bout that Ellsworth?”
    Note: Please join the Arcadia faculty in collecting to funds to help Coach Ellsworth's wife Carol Ellsworth cope with her loss. A card and box for much-appreciated donations will be available in P-22 this week only

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 pm