The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

2 posters

AFOB 09

eileenchow

AFOB 09 Empty AFOB 09

Post  eileenchow Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:54 pm

No, it is not the Rose Parade. It’s not as big as Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade either. However, Arcadia’s very own Arcadia Festival of Bands (AFOB) is not your typical high school parade performance. Featuring 36(?) visiting bands from all over southern California and a field show that displays the impressive skills AHS’ band and colorguard, AFOB definitely classifies in the category of “extraordinary”. Sophomore colorguard member Vaishnavi Balendiran expects “our AHS band and colorguard to give a stellar performance, no different than in the past, impressing all those attending, including visitors from other schools.”
    On the morning of Nov. 21, AHS band and colorguard will march down Baldwin Ave at 9:00 am(Or 8:45?), starting off this year’s 56th annual AFOB performance. AFOB is “a band review, meaning a parade, as well as a field show tournament” with “[AHS], First Ave, Foothills and Dana Middle school [as] the hosts of the parade and [AHS] is the host of the Field Tournament,” said senior colorguard captain(?) Katherine Chin. “It's a major Southern Californian event in which bands from all over the region come to compete,” said sophomore colorguard member Johanna Gunawan. AFOB’s theme for this year is “Saluting Community Service” to bestow thanks upon the first responders and community members who have helped make Arcadia a better place. AFOB marks the last official band performance of the year. “Since it’s the last competition the band will be having this year, and the last competition for me forever as an Arcadian...I hope we'll do extra well,” states senior band member Katie Lee.
    Being the hosts of AFOB, AHS band and colorguard initiated the start of the performance line-up with their performance of the “Rifle Regiment” by John Philip Sousa. Band and colorguard are then followed by performances of Arcadia’s three middle schools, First Ave, Dana, and Foothills Middle School, respectively. Numerous high school bands perform afterwards, “including Rancho Bernardo and Riverside King, two of our main competitors in the season,” informed sophomore band member Alison Fu. Following the band review will be the percussion performance and parade award ceremony at AHS’ Salter Stadium. The field show tournament starts in the evening at Citrus College in Glendora. For their field show performance, band followed their Egyptian theme that was based off of a National Geographic feature. “We’re playing the Opener, Floodplain / Spices, Perfumes, and Toxins, and the Finale. The Opener and Floodplain are written by Sam Cardon; Spices, Perfumes, Toxins is composed by Avner Dorman [and] The Finale is an arrangement of excerpts from Symphony No. 7 Op. 60 by Dmitri Shostakovich,” Cynthia Tong, sophomore band member revealed. For the field show, colorguard “perform[s] dance routines, as well as spin, toss, and perform routines with flags, rifles and sabers, all the while moving according to the music and the drill all over the football field,” said Vaishnavi.
    Both band and colorguard has been toiling endlessly to make their routines flawless. Band has been practicing all season for AFOB through with regular rehearsal schedule that consists of morning practice, on the football field or the marching through the streets, from 7:40am until the end of 1st period. Mondays are dedicated to woodwind sectionals, Tuesdays for Brass; Wednesday night rehearsals on Wednesdays and every so often, band has parade block rehearsals on Thursdays/ Fridays. Additionally, the band directors or section leaders frequently call for extra practices. Says sophomore band member Jenny Earnest about band practice “The schedule can get pretty rigorous, but band really teaches kids time management.” Every Tuesday from 5-9 pm, colorguard works on their dance routines and choreography for the field show. Wednesdays are allotted for drill formations with band from 5:45-9 pm. “For AFOB, colorguard is definitely cleaning our routines and working hard to perfect them in order to show everyone our progress this season and to present to everyone what Arcadia is all about,” said Katherine
    “I'm looking forward to performing in front of the thousands of people at Citrus College. Our audiences are usually not nearly as large so it's always exciting to see more support in the stands,” quoted senior band member Mandy Chan. Everyone is looking forward to performing in AFOB; junior band member Kane Li agrees with Mandy, saying she is “looking forward to...the field show competition. A lot of our rival bands come to AFOB so it's fun to watch their field shows. Band teacher, Mr. Tom Landes is also excited “to see[ing] some memorable performance by some of the finest bands in Southern California.” Senior band member Katie Lee is delighted about the fact that “the alumnae come to visit us [during AFOB]! This is one of the only competitions that I know alumnae come back to because it’s right at home.” Freshmen band member Davina Nguyen exclaims how excited she is to performing in AFOB “because when [I was] in middle school, [I] used to always admire the high school marching band, and now that [I am] a part of it, it just seems unreal.” Fellow freshmen band member Ryan Tsao feels the same way, saying how “its a great honor to be able to represent Arcadia Marching Band during AFOB, and getting the chance to show the people of Arcadia, exactly what Arcadia Marching Band has been doing the past few months.”
    AFOB promises to be a sight to behold this year. “I expect this year to be much more rewarding since we put in so much effort for this year’s show...everyone is looking forward to doing their best,” said junior band member Angela Liu. “I'm really proud of this band, not only for its large size, but also because we're so dedicated to excellence,” says Cynthia. With band and colorguard performances and appearances from numerous other high schools, AFOB will be a parade of grand proportions. As Jenny so rightfully puts it, “This year's AFOB is going to be super epic!”
    hanarudolph

AFOB 09 Empty Re: AFOB 09

Post  hanarudolph Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:21 pm

No, it is not the Rose Parade. It’s be consistent with your contractions! not as big as Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade either. However, [change to But] Arcadia’s very own [delete very own] Arcadia Festival of Bands (AFOB) is not your typical high school parade performance either. Featuring 36(?) [get it checked~~ Smile] visiting bands from all over southern California, and a field show that displays the impressive skills AHS’ band and colorguard [always use proper name when first mentioning PA group on campus, and capitalize~], AFOB definitely classifies itself in the category of “extraordinary”. [period INSIDE end quote mark!!] Sophomore colorguard member Vaishnavi Balendiran expects quotes are always in the past tense. give a quick explanation why you have a quote of someone BEFORE the experience, and try to find someone who's willing to give you a quote in the past tense, haha.] “our AHS band and colorguard to give a stellar performance, no different than in the past, impressing all those attending, [you can't change the diction, but you can change the punctuation-- instead of doing all commas, try to vary up with hyphens, colons etc. in quotes so that it at least looks more interesting. Smile]including visitors from other schools.”
    On the morning of Nov. 21, AHS band and colorguard will march down [you gotta write in the past tense... cuz it'll be published a couple days later.] Baldwin Ave at 9:00 am(Or 8:45?), starting off this year’s 56th annual AFOB performance. AFOB is “a band review, meaning a parade, as well as a field show tournament” with “[AHS], First Ave, Foothills and Dana Middle school [as] the hosts of the parade and [AHS] is the host of the Field Tournament,” said senior colorguard captain(?) Katherine Chin. “It's a major Southern Californian event in which bands from all over the region come to compete,” said sophomore colorguard member Johanna Gunawan. Don't have so many quotes back to back!! It gets annoying to read a clump of quotation marks. The first quote isn't really quotable material; you can easily say the same thing in your own words so take it out. The second quote is the same; you want to use quotes for interesting, really perceptive, opinionated info, not factual, technical info. The third quote is the same way.... but it's okay I guess.] AFOB’s theme for this year is “Saluting Community Service,” to bestow thanks upon the first responders [? what does this mean?] and community members who have helped make Arcadia a better place. AFOB marks the last official band performance of the year. [change to colon] “Since it’s the last competition the band will be having this year, and the last competition for me forever as an Arcadian...I hope we'll do extra well,” states [change to past tense; this is a usable quote.] senior band member Katie Lee.
    Being [change to As] the hosts of AFOB, AHS band and colorguard initiated [good-- but if you knew to use past tense here, why didn't you use it earlier??] the start of the performance line-up with their performance of the “Rifle Regiment” by John Philip Sousa. Band and colorguard are [caps colorguard ALWAYS, were.....] then followed by performances of Arcadia’s three middle schools, First Ave, Dana, and Foothills Middle School, [delete comma] respectively. Numerous high school bands perform [note past tense] afterwards, “including Rancho Bernardo and Riverside King, two of our main competitors in the season,” informed sophomore band member Alison Fu The main competitors part is quotable, but not the former part. Keep the school names but take it out of the quote; it's not plagiarism because it's just names.]. Following the band review will be [your tenses are all over the place!!] the percussion [caps, note what I said about introducing PA groups; use the official title] performance and the parade's award ceremony at AHS’ Salter Stadium. The field show tournament starts [wait-- what happened to the arcadia stadium? what happened to the awards ceremony? why did you jump back to the tournament part??] in the evening at Citrus College in Glendora. For their field show performance, band followed their Egyptian theme that was based off of a National Geographic feature delete "that was...feature.". “We’re playing the Opener, Floodplain / Spices, Perfumes, and Toxins, and the Finale. This list of titles is really confusing. I don't get it...] The Opener and Floodplain are were written by Sam Cardon; Spices, Perfumes, [and? ]Toxins is was [put in brackets] composed by Avner Dorman [and] The Finale is an arrangement of excerpts from Symphony No. 7 Op. 60 by Dmitri Shostakovich,” Cynthia Tong, sophomore band member revealed [was it a secret? revealed is a bit overdramatic]. For the field show, colorguard “perform[s] [past tense!] dance routines, as well as spin, toss, and perform routines with flags, rifles and sabers,[note about varying punctuation; change comma to ellipsis] all the while moving according to the music and the drill all over the football field,” said Vaishnavi.

I'll copy-edit the rest later Smile
    Both band and colorguard has been toiling endlessly to make their routines flawless. Band has been practicing all season for AFOB through with regular rehearsal schedule that consists of morning practice, on the football field or the marching through the streets, from 7:40am until the end of 1st period. Mondays are dedicated to woodwind sectionals, Tuesdays for Brass; Wednesday night rehearsals on Wednesdays and every so often, band has parade block rehearsals on Thursdays/ Fridays. Additionally, the band directors or section leaders frequently call for extra practices. Says sophomore band member Jenny Earnest about band practice “The schedule can get pretty rigorous, but band really teaches kids time management.” Every Tuesday from 5-9 pm, colorguard works on their dance routines and choreography for the field show. Wednesdays are allotted for drill formations with band from 5:45-9 pm. “For AFOB, colorguard is definitely cleaning our routines and working hard to perfect them in order to show everyone our progress this season and to present to everyone what Arcadia is all about,” said Katherine
    “I'm looking forward to performing in front of the thousands of people at Citrus College. Our audiences are usually not nearly as large so it's always exciting to see more support in the stands,” quoted senior band member Mandy Chan. Everyone is looking forward to performing in AFOB; junior band member Kane Li agrees with Mandy, saying she is “looking forward to...the field show competition. A lot of our rival bands come to AFOB so it's fun to watch their field shows. Band teacher, Mr. Tom Landes is also excited “to see[ing] some memorable performance by some of the finest bands in Southern California.” Senior band member Katie Lee is delighted about the fact that “the alumnae come to visit us [during AFOB]! This is one of the only competitions that I know alumnae come back to because it’s right at home.” Freshmen band member Davina Nguyen exclaims how excited she is to performing in AFOB “because when [I was] in middle school, [I] used to always admire the high school marching band, and now that [I am] a part of it, it just seems unreal.” Fellow freshmen band member Ryan Tsao feels the same way, saying how “its a great honor to be able to represent Arcadia Marching Band during AFOB, and getting the chance to show the people of Arcadia, exactly what Arcadia Marching Band has been doing the past few months.”
    AFOB promises to be a sight to behold this year. “I expect this year to be much more rewarding since we put in so much effort for this year’s show...everyone is looking forward to doing their best,” said junior band member Angela Liu. “I'm really proud of this band, not only for its large size, but also because we're so dedicated to excellence,” says Cynthia. With band and colorguard performances and appearances from numerous other high schools, AFOB will be a parade of grand proportions. As Jenny so rightfully puts it, “This year's AFOB is going to be super epic!”
    eileenchow

AFOB 09 Empty AFOB 09

Post  eileenchow Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:53 am

No, it is not the Rose Parade. It is not as big as Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade either. But Arcadia’s own Arcadia Festival of Bands (AFOB) is not your typical high school parade performance either. Featuring over 40 visiting bands from all over southern California, and a field show that displays the impressive skills AHS’ Band and Colorguard, AFOB definitely classifies itself in the category of “extraordinary.” When asked about her expectations for AFOB, sophomore colorguard member Vaishnavi Balendiran expected “our AHS band and colorguard to give a stellar performance, no different than in the past—impressing all those attending, including visitors from other schools.”

On the morning of Nov. 21, AHS band and colorguard marched down Baldwin Ave at 98:45 am, starting off this year’s 56th annual AFOB performance. AFOB is a band review, which makes it a parade, as well as a field show tournament. AHS, First Ave, Foothills and Dana Middle schools were the hosts of the parade and AHS was the host for the Field Tournament “It's a major Southern Californian event in which bands from all over the region come to compete,” said sophomore colorguard member Johanna Gunawan. AFOB’s theme for this year is “Saluting Community Service,” to bestow thanks upon those who have helped make Arcadia a better place. AFOB marks the last official band performance of the year: “Since it’s the last competition the band will be having this year, and the last competition for me forever as an Arcadian...I hope we'll do extra well,” stated senior band member Katie Lee.

As the hosts of AFOB, AHS band and colorguard initiated the start of the performance line-up with their performance of the “Rifle Regiment” by John Philip Sousa. Band and Colorguard are then followed by performances of Arcadia’s three middle schools, First Ave, Dana, and Foothills Middle School respectively. Numerous high school bands performed afterwards including Rancho Bernardo and Riverside King, who are two of band’s main competitors this season. Following the band review was the Percussion performance and the parade's award ceremony at AHS’ Salter Stadium. Proceeding afterwards was the field show tournament, which started in the evening at Citrus College in Glendora. For their field show performance, band followed their Egyptian theme. “[We performed] the Opener, Floodplain / Spices, Perfumes, and Toxins, and the Finale. The Opener and Floodplain were written by Sam Cardon; Spices, Perfumes, and Toxins was composed by Avner Dorman...the Finale [was] an arrangement of excerpts from Symphony No. 7 Op. 60 by Dmitri Shostakovich,” informed Cynthia Tong, sophomore band member. For the field show, colorguard “perform[ed] dance routines, as well as...perform routines with flags, rifles and sabers...while moving according[ly] to the music and the drill,” said Vaishnavi.

Both band and colorguard has been toiling endlessly to make their routines flawless. “We’re preparing by working hard and taking every opportunity we have to improve, since there is always room for improvement,” said Alison Fu, sophomore band member. Band has been practicing all season for AFOB through with regular rehearsal schedule that consists of morning practice, on the football field or the marching through the streets, from 7:40am until the end of 1st period. Mondays are dedicated to woodwind sectionals, Tuesdays for Brass; Wednesday night rehearsals on Wednesdays and every so often, band has parade block rehearsals on Thursdays/ Fridays. Additionally, the band directors or section leaders frequently call for extra practices. Says sophomore band member Jenny Earnest about band practice “The schedule can get pretty rigorous, but band really teaches kids time management.” Every Tuesday from 5-9 pm, colorguard works on their dance routines and choreography for the field show. Wednesdays are allotted for drill formations with band from 5:45-9 pm. “For AFOB, colorguard is definitely cleaning our routines and working hard to perfect them in order to show everyone our progress this season and to present to everyone what Arcadia is all about,” said senior colorguard captain Katherine Chin.

“[I really looked] forward to performing in front of the thousands of people at Citrus College. Our audiences are usually not nearly as large so it's always exciting to see more support in the stands,” quoted senior band member Mandy Chan. Everyone was looking forward to performing in AFOB; junior band member Kane Li agreed with Mandy, saying she was “looking forward to...the field show competition. A lot of our rival bands come to AFOB so it's fun to watch their field shows. Band teacher, Mr. Tom Landes was also excited “to see some memorable performance by some of the finest bands in Southern California.” Senior band member Katie Lee was extremely pleased about the fact that “the alumnae come to visit us [during AFOB]! This is one of the only competitions that I know alumnae come back to because it’s right at home.” Freshmen band member Davina Nguyen exclaims how excited she was to performing in AFOB “because when [I was] in middle school, [I] used to always admire the high school marching band, and now that [I am] a part of it, it just seems unreal.” Fellow freshmen band member Ryan Tsao feels the same way, saying how “it’s a great honor to be able to represent Arcadia Marching Band during AFOB, and getting the chance to show the people of Arcadia, exactly what Arcadia Marching Band has been doing the past few months.”

AFOB certainly was a sight to behold this year. “I expect[ed] this year to be much more rewarding since we put in so much effort for this year’s show...everyone [was] looking forward to doing their best,” said junior band member Angela Liu. “I'm really proud of this band, not only for its large size, but also because we're so dedicated to excellence,” says Cynthia. With band and colorguard performances and appearances from numerous other high schools, AFOB was, indeed, a parade of grand proportions. As Jenny so rightfully put it, “This year's AFOB...[was] super epic!”
    hanarudolph

Post  hanarudolph Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:02 am

Both band and colorguard has been toiling endlessly to make their routines flawless. Band has been practicing all season for AFOB through with [delete through or with] regular rehearsal schedule that consists of morning practice, on the football field or the marching through the streets, from 7:40am until the end of 1st period [consisting of morning practices on the football field or through the streets, from 7:40 to 9:00 A.M.]. Mondays are dedicated to woodwind sectionals, replace comma with and and replace semicolon after brass with comma. also, if brass is caps, should woodwind be caps?] Tuesdays for Brass; Wednesday night rehearsals on Wednesdays [ummmm.... wed rehearsals on wed?] and every so often [what does this mean?], band has parade block rehearsals [your audience won't know what this is] on Thursdays/ [delete space here] Fridays. Additionally, the band directors or section leaders frequently call for extra practices. Says [quotes are in past tense, and this is a bit awk] sophomore band member Jenny Earnest about band practice[insert colon] “The schedule can get pretty rigorous, but band really teaches kids time management.” Every Tuesday from 5-9 pm [P.M.], colorguard works on their dance routines and choreography for the field show. Wednesdays are allotted for drill formations with band from 5:45-9 pm [P.M.]. “For AFOB, colorguard is definitely cleaning our routines and working hard to perfect them in order to show everyone our progress this season and to present to everyone what Arcadia is all about,” said Katherine[insert period]
    “I'm looking forward to performing in front of the thousands of people at Citrus College. Our audiences are usually not nearly as large so it's always exciting to see more support in the stands,” quoted [quoted isnt used properly here; replace with another verb] senior band member Mandy Chan. Everyone is looking forward to performing in AFOB; junior band member Kane Li agrees with Mandy, saying [quotes are in past tense.] she is “looking forward to...the field show competition. A lot of our rival bands come to AFOB so it's fun to watch their field shows. Band teacher, Mr. Tom Landes is also excited “to see[ing] some memorable performance by some of the finest bands in Southern California.” Senior band member Katie Lee is delighted about the fact that “the alumnae come to visit us [during AFOB]! This is one of the only competitions that I know alumnae come back to because it’s right at home.” Freshmen [singular; freshman] band member Davina Nguyen exclaims [past tense] how excited she is to performing in AFOB “because when [I was] in middle school, [I] used to always admire the high school marching band, and now that [I am] a part of it, it just seems unreal.” Fellow freshmen band member Ryan Tsao feels [past tense] the same way, saying[past tense] how “its a great honor to be able to represent Arcadia Marching Band during AFOB, and getting the chance to show the people of Arcadia, exactly what Arcadia Marching Band has been doing the past few months.”
    AFOB promises to be a sight to behold this year. “I expect this year to be much more rewarding since we put in so much effort for this year’s show...everyone is looking forward to doing their best,” said junior band member Angela Liu. “I'm really proud of this band, not only for its large size, but also because we're so dedicated to excellence,” says past tense] Cynthia. With band and colorguard performances and appearances [delete and appearances] from numerous other high schools, AFOB will be a parade of grand proportions. As Jenny so rightfully puts it, “This year's AFOB is going to be super epic!” nice ending!
    hanarudolph

Post  hanarudolph Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:25 am

No, it is not the Rose Parade. It is not as big as Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade either. But Arcadia’s own Arcadia Festival of Bands (AFOB) is not your typical high school parade performance either [whoops- my bad..... ahaha, didn't realize there was already an either in the previous sentence, so delete this one. sorry!]. Featuring over 40 [forty] visiting bands from all over southern California, and a field show that displays the impressive skills of AHS’ Band and Colorguard, AFOB definitely classifies itself in the category of “extraordinary.” When asked about her expectations for AFOB, sophomore colorguard member Vaishnavi Balendiran expected “our AHS band and colorguard to give a stellar performance, no different than in the past—impressing all those attending, including visitors from other schools.”

On the morning of Nov. 21, AHS band and colorguard marched down Baldwin Ave at 98:45 am [huh?], starting off this year’s 56th annual AFOB performance. AFOB is a band review, which makes it a parade,[delete comma] as well as a field show tournament. AHS, First Ave, Foothills and Dana Middle schools [caps schools] were the hosts of the parade and AHS was [delete was] the host for the Field Tournament “It's a major Southern Californian event in which bands from all over the region come to compete,” said sophomore colorguard member Johanna Gunawan. AFOB’s theme for this year is [was] “Saluting Community Service,” to bestow thanks upon those who have helped make Arcadia a better place. AFOB marks [marked] the last official band performance of the year: “Since it’s the last competition the band will be having this year, and the last competition for me forever as an Arcadian...I hope we'll do extra well,” stated senior band member Katie Lee.

As the hosts of AFOB, AHS band and colorguard initiated the start of the performance line-up with their performance of the “Rifle Regiment” by John Philip Sousa. Band and Colorguard are [were] then followed by performances of Arcadia’s three middle schools, First Ave, Dana, and Foothills Middle School respectively. Numerous high school bands performed afterwards including Rancho Bernardo and Riverside King, who are [both of whom were] two of band’s main competitors this season. Following the band review was the Percussion [Percussion's] performance and the parade's award ceremony at AHS’ Salter Stadium. Proceeding afterwards was the field show tournament, which started in the evening at Citrus College in Glendora. For their field show performance, band [caps] followed their Egyptian theme. “[We performed] the Opener, Floodplain / Spices, Perfumes, and Toxins, and the Finale. The Opener and Floodplain were written by Sam Cardon; Spices, Perfumes, and Toxins was composed by Avner Dorman...the Finale [was] an arrangement of excerpts from Symphony No. 7 Op. 60 by Dmitri Shostakovich,” informed Cynthia Tong, sophomore band member. For the field show, colorguard “perform[ed] dance routines, as well as...perform routines with flags, rifles and sabers...while moving according[ly] [do you need the [ly]?] to the music and the drill,” said Vaishnavi.
    eileenchow

AFOB 09 Empty AFOB 09

Post  eileenchow Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:05 pm

No, it is not the Rose Parade. It is not as big as Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade either. But Arcadia’s own Arcadia Festival of Bands (AFOB) is not your typical high school parade performance. Featuring over forty visiting bands from all over southern California, and a field show that displays the impressive skills of AHS’ Band and Colorguard, AFOB definitely classifies itself in the category of “extraordinary.” When asked about her expectations for AFOB, sophomore colorguard member Vaishnavi Balendiran expected “our AHS band and colorguard to give a stellar performance, no different than in the past—impressing all those attending, including visitors from other schools.”

On the morning of Nov. 21, AHS band and colorguard marched down Baldwin Ave at 8:45 am, starting off this year’s 56th annual AFOB performance. AFOB is a band review, which makes it a parade as well as a field show tournament. AHS, First Ave, Foothills and Dana Middle Schools were the hosts of the parade and AHS hosted for the Field Tournament “It's a major Southern Californian event in which bands from all over the region come to compete,” said sophomore colorguard member Johanna Gunawan. AFOB’s theme for this year was “Saluting Community Service,” to bestow thanks upon those who have helped make Arcadia a better place. AFOB marked the last official band performance of the year: “Since it’s the last competition the band will be having this year, and the last competition for me forever as an Arcadian...I hope we'll do extra well,” stated senior band member Katie Lee.

As the hosts of AFOB, AHS band and colorguard initiated the start of the performance line-up with their performance of the “Rifle Regiment” by John Philip Sousa. Band and Colorguard were then followed by performances of Arcadia’s three middle schools, First Ave, Dana, and Foothills Middle School respectively. Numerous high school bands performed afterwards including Rancho Bernardo and Riverside King, both of whom were two of band’s main competitors this season. Following the band review was the Percussion's performance and the parade's award ceremony at AHS’ Salter Stadium. Proceeding afterwards was the field show tournament, which started in the evening at Citrus College in Glendora. For their field show performance, Band followed their Egyptian theme. “[We performed] the Opener, Floodplain / Spices, Perfumes, and Toxins, and the Finale. The Opener and Floodplain were written by Sam Cardon; Spices, Perfumes, and Toxins was composed by Avner Dorman...the Finale [was] an arrangement of excerpts from Symphony No. 7 Op. 60 by Dmitri Shostakovich,” informed Cynthia Tong, sophomore band member. For the field show, colorguard “perform[ed] dance routines, as well as...perform routines with flags, rifles and sabers...while moving according to the music and the drill,” said Vaishnavi.

Both band and colorguard has been toiling endlessly to make their routines flawless. Band has been practicing all season for AFOB through regular rehearsal schedule consisting of morning practices on the football field or through the streets, from 7:40 to the end of first period. Mondays are dedicated to woodwind sectionals and Tuesdays for Brass, night rehearsals on Wednesdays and occasional parade block rehearsals on Thursdays/Fridays. Parade block rehearsals are when marching Band members practice marching in a uniform block, similar to a real performance during a parade. Additionally, the band directors or section leaders frequently call for extra practices. Said sophomore band member Jenny Earnest about band practice: “The schedule can get pretty rigorous, but band really [taught] kids time management.” Every Tuesday from 5-9 P.M., colorguard works on their dance routines and choreography for the field show. Wednesdays are allotted for drill formations with band from 5:45-9 P.M. “For AFOB, colorguard is definitely cleaning our routines and working hard to perfect them in order to show everyone our progress this season and to present to everyone what Arcadia is all about,” said Katherine.

“[I really looked] forward to performing in front of the thousands of people at Citrus College. Our audiences are usually not nearly as large so it's always exciting to see more support in the stands,” senior band member Mandy Chan said. Everyone is looking forward to performing in AFOB; junior band member Kane Li agreed with Mandy, and said that she was “looking forward to...the field show competition. A lot of our rival bands come to AFOB so it's fun to watch their field shows. Band teacher, Mr. Tom Landes was also excited “to see some memorable performance by some of the finest bands in Southern California.” Senior band member Katie Lee was extremely pleased with the fact that “the alumnae come to visit us [during AFOB]! This is one of the only competitions that I know alumnae come back to because it’s right at home.” Freshman band member Davina Nguyen exclaimed how excited she is to performing in AFOB “because when [I was] in middle school, [I] used to always admire the high school marching band, and now that [I am] a part of it, it just seems unreal.” Fellow freshman band member Ryan Tsao felt the same way, and said how “its a great honor to be able to represent Arcadia Marching Band during AFOB, and getting the chance to show the people of Arcadia, exactly what Arcadia Marching Band has been doing the past few months.”

AFOB promises to be a sight to behold this year. “I expect[ed] this year to be much more rewarding since we put in so much effort for this year’s show...everyone [was] looking forward to doing their best,” said junior band member Angela Liu. “I'm really proud of this band, not only for its large size, but also because we're so dedicated to excellence,” said Cynthia. With AHS band and colorguard performances and appearances from numerous other high schools, AFOB was, indeed, parade of grand proportions. As Jenny so rightfully put it, “This year's AFOB...[was] super epic!”
    eileenchow

AFOB 09 Empty AFOB 09

Post  eileenchow Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:48 pm

No, it’s not the Rose Parade. It’s not as big as Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade either. But Arcadia’s own Arcadia Festival of Bands (AFOB) is not your typical high school parade performance. Featuring approximately forty bands from all over southern California, and a field show that displays the skills of these high school bands, AFOB definitely classifies itself in the category of “extraordinary.” When asked about her expectations for AFOB, sophomore Colorguard member Vaishnavi Balendiran expected “our AHS Band and Colorguard to give a stellar performance, no different than in the past—impressing all those attending, including visitors from other schools.” AFOB marked the last official Band performance of the year. Stated senior Band member Katie Lee when asked about her expectations for AFOB: “Since it’s the last competition the Band will be having this year, and the last competition for me forever as an Arcadian...I hope we'll do extra well,”

On the morning of Nov. 21, the Arcadia Marching Band and Colorguard were marching down Baldwin Ave by 9:00 A.M., marking the first performance of this year’s 56th annual AFOB performance. AFOB is a band review, which makes the event a parade as well as a field show tournament. AHS, First Ave, Foothills and Dana Middle Schools were the hosts of the parade and AHS hosted for the Field Tournament. “It's a major Southern Californian event in which bands from all over the region come to compete,” said sophomore Colorguard member Johanna Gunawan. AFOB’s theme for this year was “Saluting Community Service,” to bestow thanks upon those who have helped make Arcadia a better place.

As the hosts of AFOB, AHS Band and Colorguard initiated the start of the performance line-up with their performance of the “The Rifle Regiment,” by John Philip Sousa. AHS’ Band and Colorguard were then followed by performances of Arcadia’s three middle schools: First Ave, Dana, and Foothills Middle School, respectively. Numerous high school bands performed afterwards including Rancho Bernardo and Riverside King, both of whom were two of AHS’s main competitors this season. Following the band review was the Percussion's performances and the parade's award ceremony at AHS’ Salter Stadium. Proceeding afterwards was the field show tournament, which began in the evening at Citrus College in Glendora. For their field show performance, Band followed their Egyptian theme. “[We performed] the Opener, Floodplain / Spices, Perfumes, and Toxins, and the Finale. The Opener and Floodplain were written by Sam Cardon; Spices, Perfumes, and Toxins was composed by Avner Dorman...the Finale [was] an arrangement of excerpts from Symphony No. 7 Op. 60 by Dmitri Shostakovich,” informed Cynthia Tong, sophomore Band member. For the field show, Colorguard “perform[ed] dance routines, as well as...perform routines with flags, rifles and sabers...while moving according to the music and the drill,” said Vaishnavi.

Both Band and Colorguard have been toiling endlessly to make their routines flawless. Band has been practicing all season for AFOB through a regular rehearsal schedule consisting of morning practices on the football field or through the streets, from 7:40 A.M. to the end of first period. Mondays are dedicated to woodwind sectionals and Tuesdays for Brass; there are night rehearsals on Wednesdays and occasional parade block rehearsals on Thursdays/Fridays. During parade block rehearsals, Marching Band members practice marching in a uniform block, similar to a parade performance. Additionally, the band directors or section leaders frequently call for extra practices. Said sophomore Band member Jenny Earnest about practice: “The schedule can get pretty rigorous, but Band really [taught] kids time management.” Every Tuesday from 5-9 P.M., Colorguard works on their dance routines and choreography for the field show. Wednesdays are allotted for drill formations with Band from 5:45-9:00 P.M. “For AFOB, Colorguard is definitely cleaning our routines and working hard to perfect them in order to show everyone our progress this season and to present to everyone what Arcadia is all about,” said Katherine.

“[I really looked] forward to performing in front of the thousands of people at Citrus College. Our audiences are usually not nearly as large so it's always exciting to see more support in the stands,” senior Band member Mandy Chan stated. Many Band members were looking forward to performing in AFOB; junior Band member Kane Li agreed with Mandy, and said that she was “looking forward to...the field show competition. A lot of our rival bands come to AFOB so it's fun to watch their field shows. Band teacher, Mr. Tom Landes was also excited “to see some memorable performance by some of the finest bands in Southern California.” Senior Band member Katie Lee was extremely pleased with the fact that “the alumni come to visit us [during AFOB]! This is one of the only competitions that I know alumni come back to, because it’s right at home.” Freshman Band member Davina Nguyen exclaimed how excited she is to performing in AFOB, “because when [I was] in middle school, [I] used to always admire the high school marching Band, and now that [I am] a part of it, it just seems unreal.” Fellow freshman Band member Ryan Tsao felt the same way, and said how “it’s a great honor to be able to represent Arcadia Marching Band during AFOB, and get the chance to show the people of Arcadia exactly what Arcadia Marching Band has been doing the past few months.”

AFOB promises to be a sight to behold this year. “I expect[ed] this year to be much more rewarding since we put in so much effort for this year’s show...everyone [was] looking forward to doing their best,” said junior Band member Angela Liu. “I'm really proud of this Band, not only for its large size, but also because we're so dedicated to excellence,” said Cynthia. With AHS Band and Colorguard performances and appearances from numerous other high schools, AFOB was, indeed, a parade of grand proportions. As Jenny so rightfully put it, “This year's AFOB...[was] super epic!”
    eileenchow

AFOB 09 Empty AFOB 09

Post  eileenchow Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:45 pm

No, it’s not the Rose Parade. It’s not as big as Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade either. But Arcadia’s own Arcadia Festival of Bands (AFOB) is not your typical high school parade performance. Featuring approximately 40 bands from all over southern California, and a field show that displays the skills of these high school bands, AFOB definitely classifies itself in the category of “extraordinary.” When asked about her expectations for AFOB, sophomore Colorguard member Vaishnavi Balendiran expected “our AHS Band and Colorguard to give a stellar performance, no different than in the past—impressing all those attending, including visitors from other schools.” AFOB marked the last official Band performance of the year. Stated senior Band member Katie Lee when asked about her expectations for AFOB: “Since it’s the last competition the Band will be having this year, and the last competition for me forever as an Arcadian...I hope we [did] extra well,”
    On the morning of Nov. 21, the Arcadia Marching Band and Colorguard were marching down Baldwin Ave at 9:00 a.m., marking the beginning of this year’s 56th annual AFOB performance. AHS, First Ave, Foothills and Dana Middle Schools were the hosts of the parade and AHS hosted the field tournament. “It's a major Southern Californian event in which bands from all over the region came to compete,” said sophomore Colorguard member Johanna Gunawan. AFOB’s theme for this year was “Saluting Community Service,” to bestow thanks upon those who have helped make Arcadia a better place.
    As the hosts of AFOB, AHS Band and Colorguard initiated the start of the performance line-up with their performance of the “The Rifle Regiment,” by John Philip Sousa. Pep Squad also performed small, set routines in front of band. AHS’ performance were then followed by performances of Arcadia’s three middle schools: First Ave , Dana, and Foothills Middle School , respectively. Numerous high school bands performed afterwards including Rancho Bernardo and Riverside King, both who were two of AHS’s main competitors this season. Following the band review was the Percussion's performances and the band review award ceremony at AHS’ Salter Stadium. Following afterwards was the field show tournament at Citrus College in Glendora. For their field show performance, Band went with their Egyptian theme. “[We performed] the Opener, Floodplain / Spices, Perfumes, and Toxins, and the Finale. The Nile and Floodplain of the Nile were written by Sam Cardon; Spices, Perfumes, and Toxins was composed by Avner Dorman...the Finale [was] an arrangement of excerpts from Symphony No. 7 Op. 60 by Dmitri Shostakovich,” informed Cynthia Tong, sophomore Band member. For the field show, Colorguard “perform[ed] dance routines, as well as...perform routines with flags, rifles and sabers...while moving according to the music and the drill,” said Vaishnavi.
    Band has been practicing all season for AFOB through a regular rehearsal schedule consisting of morning practices on the football field or through the streets, from 7:40 a.m. to the end of first period. The band directors or section leaders also frequently call for extra practices. Said sophomore Band member Jenny Earnest about practice: “The schedule can get pretty rigorous, but Band really [taught] kids time management.” Every Tuesday from 5-9 p.m., Colorguard worked on their dance routines and choreography for the field show. Wednesdays are allotted for drill formations with Band from 6:00-9:00 p.m. “For AFOB, Colorguard was definitely cleaning our routines and working hard to perfect them in order to show everyone our progress this season and to present to everyone what Arcadia is all about,” said Katherine.
    “[I really looked] forward to performing in front of the thousands of people at Citrus College...it's always exciting to see more support in the stands,” senior Band member Mandy Chan stated. Many band members looked forward to performing in AFOB; junior Band member Kane Li agreed with Mandy, and said that she was “looking forward to...the field show competition. A lot of our rival bands came to AFOB so it's fun to watch their field shows. Band director, Mr. Tom Landes was also excited “to see some memorable performance by some of the finest bands in Southern California.” Senior Band member Katie Lee was extremely pleased with the fact that “the alumni [came] to visit us [during AFOB]! This is one of the only competitions that I know alumni come back to, because it’s right at home.” Freshman Band member Davina Nguyen exclaimed how excited she was to perform in AFOB, because she “used to always admire the high school marching band, and now that [she is] a part of it, it just seems unreal.” Fellow freshman Band member Ryan Tsao felt the same way, and said that “it’s a great honor to be able to represent Arcadia Marching Band during AFOB...to show the people of Arcadia exactly what Band has been doing the past few months.”
    “I expect[ed] this year to be much more rewarding since we put in so much effort for this year’s show...everyone [was] looking forward to doing their best,” said junior Band member Angela Liu. “I'm really proud of this Band, not only for its large size, but also because we're so dedicated to excellence,” said Cynthia. With AHS Band and Colorguard performances and appearances from numerous other high schools, AFOB was, indeed, a parade of grand proportions. As Jenny so rightfully put it, “This year's AFOB...[was] super epic!”

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:46 pm