The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

2 posters

10 words presidents

christopherchen

10 words presidents Empty 10 words presidents

Post  christopherchen Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:33 am

Bush Derangement Syndrome (BDS) – The term BDS refers to a seriously paranoid state-of-mind, that affects some liberals. They also oppose any position advocated by the President just because he supports it, regardless of the position's merits.
    “Charles Krauthammer coined the term ‘Bush Derangement Syndrome’ to describe what he saw to be the irrational anger of people toward President George W. Bush.”

gravitas – grave, very serious; a Latin word made popular by Al Gore in his campaign for presidency in 2000, using it to portray himself as experienced
    “My parents had a gravitas expression when my report card came in.”

vast right wing conspiracy –coined by Hillary Clinton; referring to the accusations and investigations involving President Bill Clinton’s alleged
    “The vast right wing conspiracies during President Clinton’s term caused much controversy and confrontation.”

dollar diplomacy – a political term made popular by William H. Taft guaranteeing the legitimacy foreign loans
    “Dollar diplomacy as a foreign policy helps stimulate interest in American investment.”

veepstakes – the process in which a presidential candidate picks his running mate
    “In the 2008 veepstakes, Senator Obama chose Joe Biden as his running mate.”

front porch campaign – an electoral campaign where the candidate remains close at home to make speeches and rally supporters (used by 29th president Warren Harding)
    “President Harding had literally run his front porch campaign on his front porch: making speeches to a crowd assembled in front of his home.”

O.K. – the eighth president of the United States, Martin Van Buren, would say O.K. as a meaning for his enthusiastic approval (an abbreviation of his nickname Old Kinderhook)
    “‘O.K.!’ was our immediate answer when our teacher asked if we wanted to watch a video for the period.”

Missouri bellwether – a political phenomena describing the fact that Missouri has voted for the winning president all but two times
    “Missouri had “mis-voted” only in 1956 and 2008. Having ‘foretold’ the results of presidential campaigns for so long, it has been used as a model for political trends.”

Bushisms – the unconventional words or pronunciations used in public speaking by President George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush

normalcy- a word rescued from obscurity by President Warren G. Harding
    “Soon after the events of a recent storm, things returned to normalcy after the water had finished draining.”

These are just some back up words:

Kinsley gaffe – "a gaffe in Washington" where a politician tells the truth by accident

swing state – a state where neither presidential candidate has strong support in

October surprise – a news event that has some political effect on the outcome of an election, especially a presidential election

political football – a political issue that is constantly debated about but never resolved

third rail – a political metaphor that denotes a topic to be "charged" and so untouchable

Reagan's coattails – refers to the influence of Ronald Reagan’s popularity in elections after his own
    christopherchen

10 words presidents Empty Re: 10 words presidents

Post  christopherchen Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:41 pm

Bush Derangement Syndrome (BDS) – The term BDS refers to a seriously paranoid state-of-mind, that affects some liberals. They also oppose any position advocated by the President just because he supports it, regardless of the position's merits.
    “I think Larry has BDS, he keeps telling me that colleges are conspiring against him so he’ll have to go to PCC.”

gravitas – grave, very serious; a Latin word made popular by Al Gore in his campaign for presidency in 2000, using it to portray himself as experienced

vast right wing conspiracy –coined by Hillary Clinton; referring to the accusations and investigations involving President Bill Clinton’s alleged
    “I suspect my bad grades are the result of the stress from my parent’s vast right wing conspiracy that has conspired against me ever since the second semester began.”

dollar diplomacy – a political term made popular by William H. Taft guaranteeing the legitimacy foreign loans
    “Despite Charlie’s new dollar diplomacy reforms, Jack refused to lend him money for lunch.”

veepstakes – the process in which a presidential candidate picks his running mate
    “In the first veepstakes of the second semester, I was forced to work with Mary on the project.”

front porch campaign – an electoral campaign where the candidate remains close at home to make speeches and rally supporters (used by 29th president Warren Harding)
    “President Harding had literally run his front porch campaign on his front porch: making speeches to a crowd assembled in front of his home.”

O.K. – the eighth president of the United States, Martin Van Buren, would say O.K. as a meaning for his enthusiastic approval (an abbreviation of his nickname Old Kinderhook)
    “‘O.K.!’ was our immediate answer when our teacher asked if we wanted to watch a video for the period.”

Missouri bellwether – a political phenomena describing the fact that Missouri has voted for the winning president all but two times
    “Sophomore Ken Anderson claimed to be as accurate as the Missouri bellwether: all but two times he predicted the ASB president correctly.”

Bushisms – the unconventional words or pronunciations used in public speaking by President George W. Bush and George H.W. Bush
    “Unprepared and nervous during his speech, Luther used many Bushisms when describing the symbolism of Shakespeare.”

“Soon after the events of a recent storm, things returned to normalcy after the water had finished draining.”

Kinsley gaffe – "a gaffe in Washington" where a politician tells the truth by accident

swing state – a state where neither presidential candidate has strong support in

October surprise – a news event that has some political effect on the outcome of an election, especially a presidential election

political football – a political issue that is constantly debated about but never resolved

third rail – a political metaphor that denotes a topic to be "charged" and so untouchable

Reagan's coattails – refers to the influence of Ronald Reagan’s popularity in elections after his own
    hanarudolph

Post  hanarudolph Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:36 pm

Bush Derangement Syndrome (BDS) – The term BDS refers to a seriously paranoid state-of-mind, [insert "one"] that affects some liberals. They also oppose any position advocated by the President [President Bush] just because he supports it, regardless of the position's merits.
    “I think Larry has BDS, he keeps telling me that colleges are conspiring against him so he’ll have to go to PCC.”

vast right wing conspiracy –coined by Hillary Clinton; referring to the accusations and investigat
    ions involving President Bill Clinton’s alleged [alleged....what?]
    “I suspect my bad grades are the result of the stress from my parent’s vast right wing conspiracy that has conspired against me ever since the second semester began.”

dollar diplomacy – a political term made popular by William H. Taft guaranteeing the legitimacy [insert "of"]foreign loans
    “Despite Charlie’s new dollar diplomacy reforms, Jack refused to lend him money for lunch.”

“In the first veepstakes of the second semester, I was forced to work with Mary on the project.”

“Sophomore Ken Anderson claimed to be as accurate as the Missouri bellwether: all but two times he predicted the ASB president correctly.”

“Unprepared and nervous during his speech, Luther used many Bushisms when describing the symbolism of Shakespeare.”

Reagan's coattails – refers to the influence of Ronald Reagan’s popularity in elections after his own.
    christopherchen

Post  christopherchen Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:30 pm

Bush Derangement Syndrome (BDS) – The term BDS refers to a seriously paranoid state-of-mind, one that affects some liberals. They also oppose any position advocated by President Bush just because he supports it, regardless of the position's merits.

vast right wing conspiracy –coined by Hillary Clinton; referring to the accusations and investigat
    ions involving President Bill Clinton’s alleged misconduct “I suspect my bad grades are the result of the stress from my parent’s vast right wing conspiracy that has conspired against me ever since the second semester began.”

dollar diplomacy – a political term made popular by William H. Taft guaranteeing the legitimacy of foreign loans

Reagan's coattails – refers to the influence of Ronald Reagan’s popularity in elections after his own.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:02 am