The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

2 posters

Indonesia/Earthquakes

jasminewu

Indonesia/Earthquakes Empty Indonesia/Earthquakes

Post  jasminewu Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:58 am

Jasmine Wu
    Earthquakes / Indonesia

On Wednesday, September 30 at 5:16 PM (local time), a 7.6 earthquake shook up the Indonesian island of Sumatra in the province of Jakarta, causing an undetermined but large amount of casualties and some unpleasant shock to be received by other areas in the world.

For four days after the initial quake, search teams scoured the disarray of Jakarta for survivors, and for four days, they found both survivors and bodies of victims. However, on Monday, October 5 it was announced that rescue crews would put the search for victims to the side and focus on providing relief to the survivors. “The chances of survival while trapped without water and food under the rubble for so long are impossible from now,” said a spokesperson for the Indonesian Search and Rescue Agency. Indonesian Vice President Yusuf Kalla also said, “We can be sure that (the people stuck under rubble) are dead. So now we are waiting for burials.” The last reported death toll of the quake was at 724 people. [I’ll change this as necessary.]

Also, the occurrence of yet another earthquake has many people, even those far away from the quake, shaken up. After all, Californians are still anticipating the “Big One”, but how many are really ready should a quake strike?

When asked if she had an emergency kit prepared, junior Betty Jin said, “I’ve had mine for at least two years, ever since the earthquake during summer school a while back… In case of a disaster, I am well prepared, and it also provides a safeguard for me in my mind.” In her kit are multiple survival items, including space blankets, food and water, hand sanitizer, and first aid - just some of the things a prepared person would have. By her bed are a bag of old clothes, an old pair of sneakers, and glowsticks, in case of an emergency during the night.

While all this may seem extravagant, in the event of an earthquake, having an emergency kit would do more to ensure that people are not caught off guard by the sudden lack of resources. Taking a look at Indonesia’s current situation will hopefully convince more people of the many threats that earthquakes pose and that they need to prepare should they ever need to face those many threats.
    reginaliu

Indonesia/Earthquakes Empty Re: Indonesia/Earthquakes

Post  reginaliu Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:00 am

On Wednesday, September [Sept.] 30 at 5:16 PM [p.m.] (local time), a 7.6 earthquake shook up [is there a better phrase?] the Indonesian island of Sumatra in the province of Jakarta, causing an undetermined but large amount of casualties and some unpleasant shock to be received by other areas in [of] the world.

For four days after the initial quake, search teams scoured the disarray of Jakarta for survivors, and for four days, they [replace with "continually" or something of the like rather than repeating "four days"] found both survivors and bodies of victims. However, on Monday, October [Oct.] 5 it was announced that rescue crews would put the search for victims to the side and focus on providing relief to the survivors. “The chances of survival while trapped without water and food under the rubble for so long are impossible from now,” said a spokesperson for the Indonesian Search and Rescue Agency. Indonesian Vice President Yusuf Kalla also said, “We can be sure that (the people stuck under rubble) [use brackets when modifying a quote] are dead. So now we are waiting for burials.” The last reported death toll of the quake was at 724 people. [I’ll change this as necessary.]

Also, the occurrence of yet another earthquake has many people, even those far away from the quake, shaken up. After all, Californians are still anticipating the “Big One”, but how many are really ready should a quake strike?

When asked if she had an emergency kit prepared, junior Betty Jin said, “I’ve had mine for at least two years, ever since the earthquake during summer school a while back… In case of a disaster, I am well prepared, and it also provides a safeguard for me in my mind.” In her kit are multiple survival items, including space blankets, food and water, hand sanitizer, and first aid - just some of the things a prepared person would have. By her bed are a bag of old clothes, an old pair of sneakers, and glowsticks [glow sticks], in case of an emergency during the night.

While all this may seem extravagant, in the event of an earthquake, having an emergency kit would do more to ensure that people are not caught off guard by the sudden lack of resources. Taking a look at Indonesia’s current situation will hopefully convince more people of the many threats that earthquakes pose and that they need to prepare should they ever need to face those many threats.
    jasminewu

Post  jasminewu Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:56 pm

Jasmine Wu
    Earthquakes / Indonesia

On Wednesday, Sept. 30 at 5:16 p.m. (local time), a 7.6 earthquake struck the Indonesian island of Sumatra in the province of Jakarta, causing an undetermined but large amount of casualties and some unpleasant shock to be received by other areas of the world.

For four days after the initial quake, search teams scoured the disarray of Jakarta for survivors, and as a result of their search found both survivors and bodies of victims. However, on Monday, Oct. 5 it was announced that rescue crews would put the search for victims to the side and focus on providing relief to the survivors. “The chances of survival while trapped without water and food under the rubble for so long are impossible from now,” said a spokesperson for the Indonesian Search and Rescue Agency. Indonesian Vice President Yusuf Kalla also said, “We can be sure that [the people stuck under rubble] are dead. So now we are waiting for burials.” The last reported death toll of the quake was at over 800 people.

When asked if she had an emergency kit prepared, junior Betty Jin said, “I’ve had mine for at least two years, ever since the earthquake during summer school a while back… In case of a disaster, I am well prepared, and it also provides a safeguard for me in my mind.” In her kit are multiple survival items, including space blankets, food and water, hand sanitizer, and first aid - just some of the things a prepared person would have. By her bed are a bag of old clothes, an old pair of sneakers, and glow sticks, in case of an emergency during the night.

reginaliu

Post  reginaliu Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:46 pm

On Wednesday, Sept. 30 at 5:16 p.m. (local time), a 7.6 earthquake struck the Indonesian island of Sumatra in the province of Jakarta, causing an undetermined but [remove "undetermined but"] large amount of casualties and some unpleasant shock to be received by other areas of the world.

For four days after the initial quake, search teams scoured the disarray of Jakarta for survivors, and as a result of their search found both survivors and bodies of victims. However, on Monday, Oct. 5 it was announced that rescue crews would put the search for victims to the side and focus on providing relief to the survivors. “The chances of survival while trapped without water and food under the rubble for so long are impossible from now,” said a spokesperson for the Indonesian Search and Rescue Agency. Indonesian Vice President Yusuf Kalla also said, “We can be sure that [the people stuck under rubble] are dead. So now we are waiting for burials.” The last reported death toll of the quake was at over 800 people.

When asked if she had an emergency kit prepared, junior Betty Jin said, “I’ve had mine for at least two years, ever since the earthquake during summer school a while back… In case of a disaster, I am well prepared, and it also provides a safeguard for me in my mind.” In her kit are multiple survival items, including space blankets, food and water, hand sanitizer, and first aid - just some of the things a prepared person would have. By her bed are a bag of old clothes, an old pair of sneakers, and glow sticks, in case of an emergency during the night.

While all this may seem extravagant [find a more appropriate word. extreme?], in the event of an earthquake, having an emergency kit would do more to ensure that people are not caught off guard by the sudden lack of resources [wouldn't it ensure that people are not left with a sudden lack of resources rather than ensure that people are not caught off guard with a sudden lack of resources?]. Taking a look at Indonesia’s current situation will hopefully convince more people of the many threats that earthquakes pose and that they need to prepare should they ever need to face those many threats.
    jasminewu

Post  jasminewu Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:25 pm

Jasmine Wu
    Earthquakes / Indonesia

On Wednesday, Sept. 30 at 5:16 p.m. (local time), a 7.6 earthquake struck the Indonesian island of Sumatra in the province of Jakarta, causing a large amount of casualties and some unpleasant shock to be received by other areas of the world.

While all this may seem extreme, in the event of an earthquake, having an emergency kit would do more to ensure that people are not left with a sudden lack of resources. Taking a look at Indonesia’s current situation will hopefully convince more people of the many threats that earthquakes pose and that they need to prepare should they ever need to face those many threats.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content