The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

3 posters

Caltech Kelly Guan

JadeShao

Caltech Kelly Guan Empty Caltech Kelly Guan

Post  JadeShao Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:52 pm

Caltech. Where the students study all night long. The place “where your best just isn’t good enough.” MIT’s west coast, but more hardcore, equivalent. These were some of my first impressions of Caltech. While the classes here can be notoriously difficult and you will have to work hard to do well, Caltech has still managed to pleasantly surprise me in many ways.

First of all, the academics. Yes, it’s hard here and yes, you should make sure you are truly interested in science or engineering before coming here. But, with the honor code, which lets you take home your quizzes and tests, and the encouraged collaboration among students on problem sets, you’ll have a close community of teachers to work with and fall back onto whenever you are having trouble.

While academics are very important here, the people you meet and friendships you form are just as meaningful. People here come from a wide variety of backgrounds and I am still meeting so many different people each day. I’ve met people who are insanely good at math and DDR but also enjoy playing tennis and trying out crazy long boarding tricks. And apart from the students, there are some extraordinary professors here. Here, not only will you have the author of the textbook teaching class, but you’ll also see Nobel laureate professors taking students out to lunch.

Also, the housing system, which is loosely based on the English system, is one of my favorite things about Caltech. Students are placed into one of eight houses that have their own personality and house traditions. We have house dinners each night with other members, which lets us get to know students from other grades. Each house also plans its own events, such as ski trips or laser tag, which let us bond even more with the people in our house. Without Caltech’s housing system, I probably wouldn’t have met many of the people, especially the upperclassmen. This is something you won’t find in other colleges and something I am truly appreciative of.

Caltech is definitely unique, but the oddities are what I love about it. From quantum mechanics to quirky traditions, I look forward to what Caltech has in store for me in the future.
    Joanna Liao

Caltech Kelly Guan Empty Copy Edit #1

Post  Joanna Liao Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:04 pm

Caltech. Where the students study all night long. The place “where your best just isn’t good enough.” MIT’s west coast (what’s west coast?) , but more hardcore, equivalent. These were some of my first impressions of Caltech. While the classes here can be notoriously difficult and you will have to work hard to do well, Caltech has still managed to pleasantly surprise me in many ways. (how does the difficult classes have anything to do w/ suprises?)

First of all, the academics. Yes, it’s hard here and yes, you should make sure you are truly interested in science or engineering before coming here. (awkward) But, (delete comma) with the honor code, which lets you take home your quizzes and tests,(change commas to parenthesis) and the encouraged collaboration among students on problem sets, you’ll have a close community of teachers to work with and fall back onto whenever you are having trouble.

While academics are very important here, the people you meet and friendships you form are just as meaningful. People here come from a wide variety of backgrounds and (delete and) I am still meeting so many different people each day. I’ve met people who are insanely good at math and DDR but also enjoy playing tennis and trying out crazy long boarding tricks. And apart from the students, there are some extraordinary professors here. Here, not only will you have the author of the textbook teaching class, but you’ll also see Nobel laureate professors taking students out to lunch.

Also, (delete comma) the housing system, which is loosely based on the English system, is one of my favorite things about Caltech. Students are placed into one of eight houses that have their own personality and house traditions. We have house dinners each night with other members, which lets us get to know students from other grades. Each house also plans its own events, such as ski trips or laser tag, which let us bond even more with the people in our house. Without Caltech’s housing system, I probably wouldn’t have met many of the people, especially the upperclassmen. This is something you won’t find in other colleges and something I am truly appreciative of.

Caltech is definitely unique, but the oddities are what I love about it. From quantum mechanics to quirky traditions, I look forward to what Caltech has in store for me in the future.
    JadeShao

Caltech Kelly Guan Empty WRITTEN BY alumni, kelly guan

Post  JadeShao Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:40 am

Caltech. Where the students study all night long. The place “where your best just isn’t good enough.” MIT’s west coast (are you telling me you don't know what the west coast is?) , but more hardcore, equivalent. These were some of my first impressions of Caltech. While the classes here can be notoriously difficult and you will have to work hard to do well, Caltech has still managed to pleasantly surprise me in many ways. (because hard classes are bad, and "pleasant surprises" are good....makes sense to me)

First of all, the academics. Yes, it’s hard here and yes, you should make sure you are truly interested in science or engineering before coming here. But with the honor code, which lets you take home your quizzes or tests, and the encouraged collaboration among students on problem sets, you’ll have a close community of teachers to work with and fall back onto whenever you are having trouble.

While academics are very important here, the people you meet and friendships you form are just as meaningful. People here come from a wide variety of backgrounds and (delete and) I am still meeting so many different people each day. I’ve met people who are insanely good at math and DDR but also enjoy playing tennis and trying out crazy long boarding tricks. And apart from the students, there are some extraordinary professors here. Here, not only will you have the author of the textbook teaching class, but you’ll also see Nobel laureate professors taking students out to lunch.

Also, (delete comma) the housing system, which is loosely based on the English system, is one of my favorite things about Caltech. Students are placed into one of eight houses that have their own personality and house traditions. We have house dinners each night with other members, which lets us get to know students from other grades. Each house also plans its own events, such as ski trips or laser tag, which let us bond even more with the people in our house. Without Caltech’s housing system, I probably wouldn’t have met many of the people, especially the upperclassmen. This is something you won’t find in other colleges and something I am truly appreciative of.

debbiejong

Caltech Kelly Guan Empty Re: Caltech Kelly Guan

Post  debbiejong Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:58 am

EDIT 2

Caltech. Where the students study all night long. The place “where your best just isn’t good enough.” MIT’s west coast [West Coast], but more hardcore, equivalent. These [Those] were some of my first impressions of Caltech. While the classes here can be notoriously difficult and you will have to work hard to do well, Caltech has still managed to pleasantly surprise me in many ways. (because hard classes are bad, and "pleasant surprises" are good...makes sense to me)

First of all, the academics. Yes, it’s hard here and yes, you should make sure you are truly interested in science or engineering before coming here. But with the honor code, which lets you take home your quizzes or tests, and the encouraged collaboration among students on problem sets, you’ll have a close community of teachers to work with and fall back onto [on] whenever you are having trouble.

While academics are very important here, the people you meet and friendships you form are just as meaningful. People here come from a wide variety of backgrounds and I am still meeting so many different people each day. I’ve met people who are insanely good at math and DDR but also enjoy playing tennis and trying out crazy long boarding tricks. And apart from the students, there are some extraordinary professors here. Here, not only will you have the author of the textbook teaching class, but you’ll also see Nobel laureate [Nobel Laureate] professors taking students out to lunch.

Also, the housing system, which is loosely based on the English system, is one of my favorite things about Caltech. Students are placed into one of eight houses that have their [each has its] own personality and house traditions. We have house dinners each night with other members, which lets us get to know students from other grades. Each house also plans its own events, such as ski trips or laser tag, which let [lets] us bond even more with the people in our house. Without Caltech’s housing system, I probably wouldn’t have met many of the people, especially the upperclassmen. This is something you won’t find in other colleges and something I am truly appreciative of.

Last edited by debbiejong on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    JadeShao

Caltech Kelly Guan Empty 3rd draft

Post  JadeShao Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:26 pm

Caltech. Where the students study all night long. The place “where your best just isn’t good enough.” MIT’s West Coast, but more hardcore, equivalent. Those were some of my first impressions of Caltech. While the classes here can be notoriously difficult and you will have to work hard to do well, Caltech has still managed to pleasantly surprise me in many ways.

First of all, the academics. Yes, it’s hard here and yes, you should make sure you are truly interested in science or engineering before coming here. But with the honor code, which lets you take home your quizzes or tests, and the encouraged collaboration among students on problem sets, you’ll have a close community of teachers to work with and fall back on whenever you are having trouble.

While academics are very important here, the people you meet and friendships you form are just as meaningful. People here come from a wide variety of backgrounds and I am still meeting so many different people each day. I’ve met people who are insanely good at math and DDR but also enjoy playing tennis and trying out crazy long boarding tricks. And apart from the students, there are some extraordinary professors here. Here, not only will you have the author of the textbook teaching class, but you’ll also see Nobel Laureate professors taking students out to lunch.

Also, the housing system, which is loosely based on the English system, is one of my favorite things about Caltech. Students are placed into one of eight houses that each has its own personality and house traditions. We have house dinners each night with other members, which lets us get to know students from other grades. Each house also plans its own events, such as ski trips or laser tag, which lets us bond even more with the people in our house. Without Caltech’s housing system, I probably wouldn’t have met many of the people, especially the upperclassmen. This is something you won’t find in other colleges and something I am truly appreciative of.

Sponsored content

Caltech Kelly Guan Empty Re: Caltech Kelly Guan

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:35 pm