The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

3 posters

QuestBridge

estherlin

QuestBridge Empty QuestBridge

Post  estherlin Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:23 am

Worried you won’t have money for college, but you’ve worked so hard it would be such a waste to give up? The QuestBridge College Match Scholarship “matches” students to top private universities and colleges all over America and offers free tuition, room and board, and other expenses. This year, the class of 2010 has had two students matched to one of their top school. Senior Emily Yang was matched to Pomona College and senior Greg Chen was matched to University of Chicago.
    As a scholarship searching for the best and brightest of seniors, QuestBridge releases its application in early August and has a deadline on the last day of September. Thus, QuestBridge seniors deal with the stress of the college application process before their classmates do. The process consists of two rounds. Students must first pass the first round as a finalist in order to continue to on in the matching process. However, with roughly 2-5% of applicants ending up matched, the chances of being matched to one of the nation’s top schools are small to none.
    They both checked their status during school and were shocked to see that their hard work and perseverance had paid off and guaranteed them a quality undergraduate education. But despite the stress involved, both Emily and Greg agree that this is a process they would go through again. When asked of what she gained from the process, besides an amazing college package, Emily immediately responded with the fact that she was “done with her college apps.” But in addition to the sudden “peace of mind,” she admits that she has “gained more confidence in myself, because it was a highly competitive process and now I know I can make something of myself outside the Arcadia bubble.” Greg attributes much of his success to the love and support of Mr. Wang, Mr. Zhang, and Mrs. McQuaid “for their assistance in the admission process.” Furthermore, “this opportunity was definitely life-changing” and he is “very thankful for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.” Going through QuestBridge was more than an academic growth, for Greg says that “I have learned to appreciate the presence of my family, teachers, friends, and everybody else who has helped me grow personally over the years.”
    Both applicants enthusiastically encourage future seniors with the slightest interest in QuestBridge to apply without hesitance. Even when not matched, applicants that have passed the first round are honored with the title of QuestBridge Finalist, which will give them many boosts and advantages while applying to their colleges via regular decision. The way Emily sees it, “There really is nothing to lose, and with the prospect of having free tuition, room and board, books, travel expenses, and other necessities, it would only hurt not to apply.” Greg reminds all to not “think that you would be disadvantaged by your family background; dream big, push yourself, and sky is the limit.
    Joanna Liao

QuestBridge Empty copy edit #1

Post  Joanna Liao Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:52 pm

Worried you won’t have money for college, but you’ve worked so hard it would be such a waste to give up (awk.)? The QuestBridge College Match Scholarship “matches” students to top private universities and colleges all over America and offers free tuition, room and board, and other expenses. This year, the class of 2010 has had two students matched to one of their top school. Senior Emily Yang was matched to Pomona College and senior Greg Chen was matched to University of Chicago.
    As a scholarship searching for the best and brightest of seniors, QuestBridge releases its application in early August and has a deadline on the last day of September. Thus, QuestBridge seniors deal with the stress of the college application process before their classmates do. The process consists of two rounds. Students must first pass the first round as a finalist in order to continue to on in the matching process. However, with roughly 2-5% of applicants ending up matched, the chances of being matched to one of the nation’s top schools are small to none.
    They both checked their status during school and were shocked to see that their hard work and perseverance had paid off and guaranteed them a quality undergraduate education (runon). But despite the stress involved, both Emily and Greg agree (agreed) that this is a process they would go through again. When asked of what she gained from the process, besides an amazing college package, Emily immediately responded with the fact that she was “done with her college apps.” But in addition to the sudden “peace of mind,” she admits that she has “gained more confidence in myself, because it was a highly competitive process and now I know I can make something of myself outside the Arcadia bubble.” Greg attributes much of his success to the love and support of Mr. Wang, Mr. Zhang, and Mrs. McQuaid “for their assistance in the admission process.” Furthermore, “this opportunity was definitely life-changing” and he is “very thankful for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.” Going through QuestBridge was more than an academic growth, for Greg says that “I have learned to appreciate the presence of my family, teachers, friends, and everybody else who has helped me grow personally over the years.”
    Both applicants enthusiastically encourage future seniors with the slightest interest in QuestBridge (delete) to apply without hesitance. Even when not matched, applicants that have passed the first round are honored with the title of QuestBridge Finalist, which will give them many boosts and advantages while applying to their colleges via regular decision. The way Emily sees it, “There really is nothing to lose, and with the prospect of having free tuition, room and board, books, travel expenses, and other necessities, it would only hurt not to apply.” Greg reminds all to not “think that you would be disadvantaged by your family background; dream big, push yourself, and sky is the limit.
    katetrinh

QuestBridge Empty Re: QuestBridge

Post  katetrinh Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:38 pm

Hey Esther! So I made a few edits and you need to fix some things as well:

Worried you won’t have money for college, but you’ve worked so hard it would be such a waste to give up? [I agree with Joanna. This sentence is kind of awk. Reword it and make it more formal, not so colloquial.]The QuestBridge College Match Scholarship “matches” students to top private universities and colleges all over America and offers free tuition, room and board, and other expenses. This year, the class of 2010 had two students matched to one of their top schools. Senior Emily Yang was matched to Pomona College and senior Greg Chen was matched to the University of Chicago.
    As a scholarship searching [A word is missing here.. sounds awk.] for the best and brightest of seniors, QuestBridge releases its application in early August and has a deadline on the last day of September [Is this always true? Otherwise you shouldn’t include this since this part is aimed at future applicants]. Thus, QuestBridge seniors deal with the stress of the college application process before their classmates do. The process consists of two rounds. [Find a way to link this sentence. It’s short and abrupt.] Students must pass the first round as a finalist in order to continue to on in the matching process [Clarify this first round. What do they have to do?]. However, with roughly only 2-5% of applicants ending up matched, the chances of being matched to one of the nation’s top schools are small to none. [Note: Can you use something other than “match”? It’s excessively repetitive.]
    Emily and Greg checked their status [Change to “results”? Status doesn’t sound right.] during school and were shocked to see that their hard work and perseverance had paid off and guaranteed them a quality undergraduate education. But despite the stress involved, both Emily and Greg agree that this is a process they would not hesitate to go through again. When asked of what she gained from the process besides an amazing college package, Emily immediately responded with the fact that she was “done with her college apps.” In addition to the sudden “peace of mind,” she admits, “I gained more confidence in myself because it was a highly competitive process and now I know I can make something of myself outside the Arcadia bubble.” Greg attributes much of his success to the love and support [Would “love” be appropriate here? It’s a bit awk.] from Mr. Wang, Mr. Zhang, and Mrs. McQuaid “for their assistance in the admission process.” Furthermore, “this opportunity was definitely life-changing” and he is “very thankful for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.” Going through QuestBridge was more than an academic growth, for Greg says that “I have learned to appreciate the presence of my family, teachers, friends, and everybody else who has helped me grow personally over the years.”
    Both applicants enthusiastically encourage future seniors with the slightest interest in QuestBridge to apply without hesitance. Even when not matched, applicants that have passed the first round are honored with the title of QuestBridge Finalist, which will give them many boosts and advantages when applying to their colleges via regular decision. The way Emily sees it, “There really is nothing to lose, and with the prospect of having free tuition, room and board, books, travel expenses, and other necessities, it would only hurt not to apply.” Greg reminds all to not “think that you would be disadvantaged by your family background; dream big, push yourself, and the sky is the limit.”
    estherlin

Post  estherlin Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:19 am

As the prospect of attending college looms ever so closely in the distance, seniors find themselves tight on financials. The QuestBridge College Match Scholarship “matches” students to top private universities and colleges all over America and offers free tuition, room and board, and other expenses. This year, the class of 2010 had two students matched to one of their top schools. Senior Emily Yang was matched to Pomona College and senior Greg Chen was matched to the University of Chicago.

As a scholarship that searches for the best and brightest of seniors, QuestBridge releases its application in early August and has a deadline in late September. Thus, QuestBridge seniors deal with the stress of the college application process before their classmates do. Because the application process consists of one-time essays and recommendations that applicants must complete early into the school year, many students find themselves short on time. The process consists of two rounds, the first of which must be passed in order for an applicant to continue as a finalist into the matching process. However, with roughly only 2-5% of applicants ending up matched, the chances of being matched to one of the nation’s top schools are small to none. [Note: But even QB uses the term "College Match." Would "paired up" work?]

Emily and Greg checked their results during school and were shocked to see that their hard work and perseverance had paid off and guaranteed them a quality undergraduate education. But despite the stress involved, both Emily and Greg agree that this is a process they would not hesitate to go through again. When asked of what she gained from the process besides an amazing college package, Emily immediately responded with the fact that she was “done with her college apps.” In addition to the sudden “peace of mind,” she admits, “I gained more confidence in myself because it was a highly competitive process and now I know I can make something of myself outside the Arcadia bubble.” Greg attributes much of his success to the care and support of Mr. Wang, Mr. Zhang, and Mrs. McQuaid “for their assistance in the admission process.” Furthermore, “this opportunity was definitely life-changing” and he is “very thankful for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.” Going through QuestBridge was more than an academic growth, for Greg says that “I have learned to appreciate the presence of my family, teachers, friends, and everybody else who has helped me grow personally over the years.”

Both applicants enthusiastically encourage future seniors with the slightest interest in QuestBridge to apply without hesitance. Even when not matched, applicants that have passed the first round are honored with the title of QuestBridge Finalist, which will give them many boosts and advantages when applying to their colleges via regular decision. The way Emily sees it, “There really is nothing to lose, and with the prospect of having free tuition, room and board, books, travel expenses, and other necessities, it would only hurt not to apply.” Greg reminds all to not “think that you would be disadvantaged by your family background; dream big, push yourself, and the sky is the limit.”

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 6:12 am