The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

3 posters

For C.E. Childhood TV Shows

CoraOrmseth

For C.E. Childhood TV Shows Empty For C.E. Childhood TV Shows

Post  CoraOrmseth Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:25 am

Childhood TV Shows by Kate Harwitz

Gather round children, and listen to the tales of yesteryear. Back when those animated pictures on the telly-box of yore told of honesty! Perseverance! Bravery in the face of adversity! Truly, I would not be the morally upright, productive member of society if it had not been for the cartoon shows of my youth, the shows I spent hours on end glued to in my most impressionable years. If you want to succeed in life, don’t go buy some silly self help book-instead, go rifle through your old Pokémon video cassettes and start watching!

While we are on the topic of Pokémon, let me just say that it is a timeless tale of friendship and the value of good ol’ elbow grease. In the series, the good-natured but naïve Ash travels across the land with his faithful pokémon Pikachu, defeating monsters and thwarting the plots of evil villains with his buddies Brock and Misty. They brave harrowing battles and frightening adventures together, and their friendship somehow manages to brave it all-nay, it becomes stronger-because of their shared ordeals. Although in real life friends haven’t always been there for me, they are there for me most of the time, and the few ones that I can count on I can really count on. Ash captured countless pokemon on his journeys, but never needed anything more than his beloved Pikachu to give him love and support when he needed it. Friends come and go-in the series Brock and Misty leave Ash to go their separate ways-but Pikachu always stood by him when the going got rough. At the heart of the matter, isn’t life’s journey just everyone’s search for their own Pikachu?
    Heartwarming and idealistic views of friendship/love aside, the off-beat Courage the Cowardly Dog helped me put on a nice pair of confidence pants and stand up to my fears. Courage, By George, if a yammering purple pup can risk his life for his owners , then so can I! Metaphorically speaking, of course. This yammering purple dog is not your average dog. He was abandoned as a puppy, and adopted by Eustace and Muriel Bagge, who live in The Middle Of Nowhere, Kansas. Every episode, Courage is forced to face everything from aliens to “weremoles”, and always risks his life to save his family. Sure, he gets frightened by little things (like that one spooky green mask Eustace always puts on that looks like it has a purple pickle for a nose), but Courage always musters up his namesake when it really matters. I too am frightened by little things (for example, when my sister jumps out from behind doors because she likes to see me scream and jump), but I push myself, test my limits, when the situation calls for it. Let us all strive to be like this brave purple pup, because the time is ripe for change. Need to speak in front of class for a project? Have no fear, and just be thankful that a chicken from outer-space hasn’t sent her three-headed son to destroy you.

Last but not least, I’d like to give a very special shout-out to the cartoon Hey Arnold!-remember that kid Arnold, with the football-shaped head, and the unibrow-sporting Helga Pataki? Almost every episode Helga pined over her crush, Arnold, and almost every episode she did something mean to him because of her crazed love. This show taught me one of the most important childhood lessons of all-that when someone is mean to you, it probably means they like you.
    reginaliu

For C.E. Childhood TV Shows Empty Re: For C.E. Childhood TV Shows

Post  reginaliu Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:39 pm

Gather round children, and listen to the tales of yesteryear. Back when those animated pictures on the telly-box of yore told of honesty! Perseverance! Bravery in the face of adversity! Truly, I would not be the morally upright, productive member of society if it had not been for the cartoon shows of my youth, the shows I spent hours on end glued to in my most impressionable years. If you want to succeed in life, don’t go buy some silly self help book-instead, go rifle through your old Pokémon [Italicize] video cassettes and start watching!

While we are on the topic of Pokémon [italicize], let me just say that it is a timeless tale of friendship and the value of good ol’ elbow grease. In the series, the good-natured but naïve Ash travels across the land with his faithful pokémon Pikachu, defeating monsters and thwarting the plots of evil villains with his buddies Brock and Misty. They brave harrowing battles and frightening adventures together, and their friendship somehow manages to brave it all-nay, it becomes stronger-because of their shared ordeals. Although in real life friends haven’t always been there for me, they are there for me most of the time, and the few ones that I can count on I can really count on. Ash captured countless pokemon [pokémon] on his journeys, but never needed anything more than his beloved Pikachu to give him love and support when he needed it. Friends come and go-in the series Brock and Misty leave Ash to go their separate ways-but Pikachu always stood by him when the going got rough. At the heart of the matter, isn’t life’s journey just everyone’s search for their own Pikachu?
    Heartwarming and idealistic views of friendship/love aside, the off-beat Courage the Cowardly Dog [italicize] helped me put on a nice pair of confidence pants and stand up to my fears. Courage, By George, if a yammering purple pup can risk his life for his owners ,[delete space between owners and the comma] then so can I! Metaphorically speaking, of course. This yammering purple dog is not your average dog. He was abandoned as a puppy, and adopted by Eustace and Muriel Bagge, who live in The Middle Of Nowhere, Kansas [KS]. Every episode, Courage is forced to face everything from aliens to “weremoles”, [quotation mark outside of comma] and always risks his life to save his family. Sure, he gets frightened by little things (like that one spooky green mask Eustace always puts on that looks like it has a purple pickle for a nose), but Courage always musters up his namesake when it really matters. I too am frightened by little things (for example, when my sister jumps out from behind doors because she likes to see me scream and jump), but I push myself, test my limits, when the situation calls for it [but I push myself and test when my limits when the situation calls for it?]. Let us all strive to be like this brave purple pup, because the time is ripe for change. Need to speak in front of class for a project? Have no fear, and just be thankful that a chicken from outer-space hasn’t sent her three-headed son to destroy you.

Last but not least, I’d like to give a very special shout-out to the cartoon Hey Arnold! [italicize]-remember that kid Arnold, with the football-shaped head, and the uni[-]brow-sporting Helga Pataki? Almost every episode Helga pined over her crush, Arnold, and almost every episode she did something mean to him because of her crazed love. This show taught me one of the most important childhood lessons of all-that when someone is mean to you, it probably means they like you.
    kateharwitz

For C.E. Childhood TV Shows Empty new tv shows final

Post  kateharwitz Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:36 pm

Childhood Cartoons

Gather round children, and listen to the tales of yesteryear. Back when those animated pictures on the telly-box of yore told of honesty! Perseverance! Bravery in the face of adversity! Truly, I would not be the morally upright, productive member of society if it had not been for the cartoon shows of my youth, the shows I spent hours on end glued to in my most impressionable years. If you want to succeed in life, don’t go buy some silly self help book-instead, go rifle through your old Pokémon video cassettes and start watching!

While we are on the topic of Pokémon, let me just say that it is a timeless tale of friendship, and especially embodies the timeless value of good ol’ elbow grease. Sure, parents and teachers were always telling me to work hard, but these words of advice would be empty, devoid of meaning, if it were not for the dedication and perseverance personified by Ash and his gang that I witnessed on a daily basis, and to this very day I strive to replicate in my day to day life Ash’s commitment and resolve in goals. Time and time again Ash faces hardships and heartache, but never needs anything or anyone more than his beloved Pikachu to give him love and support when he needs it. Friends come and go-in the series Brock and Misty leave Ash to go their separate ways-but Pikachu always stands by him when the going gets rough. Which makes me realized, at the heart of the matter, isn’t life’s journey just everyone’s search for their own Pikachu? A search for that one person that will stick with you through both the good times and the bad (and is preferably cuddly).

Heartwarming and idealistic views of friendship/love aside, the off-beat Courage the Cowardly Dog helped me put on a nice pair of confidence pants and stand up to my fears. By George, if a yammering purple pup can risk his life for his owners , then so can I! Metaphorically speaking, of course-just replace the word “owners” with “life goals and challenging tasks in general”, and you got yourself a genuine inspirational quote , the likes of which have previously been limited to corporate offices and tacky ( ahem, I mean touching) posters. Now, Courage the dog is not your average scrawny, anthropomorphic dog; He was abandoned as a puppy, and adopted by Eustace and Muriel Bagge, who live in The Middle Of Nowhere, KS. Every episode, Courage is forced to face everything from evil flan-makers to “weremoles”, and always risks his life to save his family. Sure, he gets frightened by little things, like loud noises and creepy masks, but Courage always musters up his namesake when it really matters. I too am frightened by little things, and occasionally intimidated by public speaking, but I push myself and test my limits when the situation calls for it. Let us all strive to be like this brave purple pup, because the time is ripe for change. Need to speak in front of class for a project? Have no fear, and just be thankful that, unlike Courage, a chicken from outer-space hasn’t sent her three-headed son to destroy you.

Last but not least, I’d like to give a very special shout-out to the cartoon Hey Arnold!-remember that kid Arnold, with the football-shaped head, and the uni-brow-sporting Helga Pataki? Almost every episode Helga pined over her crush, Arnold, and almost every episode she did something mean to him because of her crazed love. This show taught me one of the most important childhood lessons of all-that when someone is mean to you, it probably means they like you.
    CoraOrmseth

Post  CoraOrmseth Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:17 am

Hey Kate could you please add 70 more words? (Maybe a whole new paragraph on another TV show?) Thank you!
    kateharwitz

Post  kateharwitz Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:47 pm

okay. sorry I'm having to make so many revisions >.<
    kateharwitz

Post  kateharwitz Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:53 pm

Childhood Cartoons
    While we are on the topic of Pokémon, let me just say that it is a timeless tale of friendship, and especially embodies the timeless value of good ol’ elbow grease. Sure, parents and teachers were always telling me to work hard, but these words of advice would be empty, devoid of meaning, if it were not for the dedication and perseverance personified by Ash and his gang that I witnessed on a daily basis, and to this very day I strive to replicate in my day to day life Ash’s commitment and resolve in goals. Time and time again Ash faces hardships and heartache, but never needs anything or anyone more than his beloved Pikachu to give him love and support when he needs it. Friends come and go-in the series Brock and Misty leave Ash to go their separate ways-but Pikachu always stands by him when the going gets rough. Which makes me realized, at the heart of the matter, isn’t life’s journey just everyone’s search for their own Pikachu? A search for that one person that will stick with you through both the good times and the bad (and is preferably cuddly).
    Heartwarming and idealistic views of friendship/love aside, the off-beat Courage the Cowardly Dog helped me put on a nice pair of confidence pants and stand up to my fears. By George, if a yammering purple pup can risk his life for his owners , then so can I! Metaphorically speaking, of course-just replace the word “owners” with “life goals and challenging tasks in general”, and you got yourself a genuine inspirational quote , the likes of which have previously been limited to corporate offices and tacky ( ahem, I mean touching) posters. Now, Courage the dog is not your average scrawny, anthropomorphic dog; He was abandoned as a puppy, and adopted by Eustace and Muriel Bagge, who live in The Middle Of Nowhere, KS. Every episode, Courage is forced to face everything from evil flan-makers to “weremoles”, and always risks his life to save his family. Sure, he gets frightened by little things, like loud noises and creepy masks, but Courage always musters up his namesake when it really matters. I too am frightened by little things, and occasionally intimidated by public speaking, but I push myself and test my limits when the situation calls for it. Let us all strive to be like this brave purple pup, because the time is ripe for change. Need to speak in front of class for a project? Have no fear, and just be thankful that, unlike Courage, a chicken from outer-space hasn’t sent her three-headed son to destroy you.
    My childhood was filled with cartoons extolling the virtues of teamwork, a value that pertains not only to group projects in school, but will eventually apply to-gasp! You guessed it, LIFE! Office workers need to use teamwork to meet deadlines and company goals; Waiters need to communicate with each other and the chefs in order to be efficient meal servers. Basically, most of your life will involve interpersonal interactions and working with others, unless, like our favorite author J.D. Salinger, you plan on secluding yourself in a cabin in the middle of some god-forsaken forest. The Powerpuff Girls is an exemplary show which embodies not only the values of interpersonal skills, but how important it is to maintain a good relationship with siblings. Oh, how often did little 8 year old me bicker and fight with my little sister, only to remember after a rousing episode of The Powerpuff Girls (in which the pint-sized sisters would invariably team up and defeat some monster or other) that we could get so much more accomplished (especially pranks on our dad) if we played nice and worked together.
    Last but not least, I’d like to give a very special shout-out to the cartoon Hey Arnold!-remember that kid Arnold, with the football-shaped head, and the uni-brow-sporting Helga Pataki? Almost every episode Helga pined over her crush, Arnold, and almost every episode she did something mean to him because of her crazed love. This show taught me one of the most important childhood lessons of all-that when someone is mean to you, it probably means they like you.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 9:27 pm