The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

2 posters

Speech and Debate State Champs

nancyxiao

Speech and Debate State Champs Empty Speech and Debate State Champs

Post  nancyxiao Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:27 am

All year, Speech and Debate has been competing and doing amazing, but all in preparation of what? Well, whatever it is, it's finally here. The big one. The final test. The last chance. That's right, Speech and Debate State Championship Tournament!
    From Apr. 16 to Apr. 19, 15 members of AHS Speech and Debate traveled to Bakersfield, California to compete with other teams from all across the state. The competition lasted three days, with preliminary rounds on the first two days, and elimination rounds on the third. This tournament had the same events as most of the tournaments covered previously, ranging from arguing the credibility of lobbyists in Public Forum Debate to telling stories about fat kids with matches in Original Prose and Poetry. "Quote about a cool speech yay woah so different never seen this style before." But for some, the best part of State Champs wasn't the competition, rather the bonding and friendships among team members. "Quote about fun times yay fun anecdote wooo."
    And in the end, AHS Speech and Debate dominated as always, with # members breaking into semi-finals, and # members placing in finals. "Quote from semi-finalist." "Quote from finalist." (Any state champions) "Quote from state champions."
    But all in all, this year's team attributed their success to their coaches, Ms. Josipa Casey and Ms. Ashley Novak. Ms. Novak had been out on a maternal leave for almost the entirety of the year, so Ms. Casey did a wonderful job maintaining the good aspects of the team and improving it to an insuperable level. "Quote from student thanking the coaches." "Quote from coaches."
    Wow...isn't Speech and Debate great...(better ending hopefully)
    hanarudolph

Speech and Debate State Champs Empty Re: Speech and Debate State Champs

Post  hanarudolph Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:34 am

All year, Speech and Debate has been competing and doing amazingly well, but all in preparation of what? Well, it's finally here: the big one, the final test, the last chance. That's right, Speech and Debate State Championship Tournament!
    From Apr. 16 to Apr. 19, 15 members of AHS Speech and Debate traveled to Bakersfield, California to compete with other teams from all across the state. The competition lasted three days, with preliminary rounds on the first two days, and elimination rounds on the third. This tournament had the same events as most of the tournaments covered previously, ranging from arguing the credibility of lobbyists in Public Forum Debate to telling stories about fat kids with matches in Original Prose and Poetry. "Quote about a cool speech yay woah so different never seen this style before." But for some, the best part of State Champs wasn't the competition, rather the bonding and friendships among team members. "Quote about fun times yay fun anecdote wooo."
    And in the end, AHS Speech and Debate dominated as always, with # members breaking into semi-finals, and # members placing in finals. "Quote from semi-finalist." "Quote from finalist." (Any state champions) "Quote from state champions."
    But [it's okay to start a sentence and even a paragraph with and/but once, but you did it last paragraph. change the and of last paragraph or this but here (: ] all in all, this year's team attributed their success to their coaches, Ms. Josipa Casey and Ms. Ashley Novak. Ms. Novak had been out on a maternal leave for almost the entirety of the year, so Ms. Casey did a wonderful job maintaining the good aspects of the team and improving it to an insuperable level. "Quote from student thanking the coaches." "Quote from coaches."
    Wow...isn't Speech and Debate great...(better ending hopefully) [yeah, lol, work on that.]
    nancyxiao

Post  nancyxiao Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:22 am

All year, Speech and Debate has been competing and doing well, but all in preparation of what? Speech and Debate State Championship Tournament!
    From Apr. 16 to Apr. 19, 15 members of AHS Speech and Debate traveled to Bakersfield, California to compete with other teams from all across the state. The competition lasted three days, with preliminary rounds on the first two days, and elimination rounds on the third. This tournament had the same events as most of the tournaments covered previously, ranging from arguing the credibility of lobbyists in Public Forum Debate to telling stories about fat kids with matches in Original Prose and Poetry. Freshman Rachel Gasparini commented, "I really enjoyed watching Expository speaking, where they have props with lights and music." But for some, the best part of State Champs wasn't the competition, rather the bonding and friendships among team members. "Quote about fun times yay fun anecdote wooo."
    As for the competition, AHS Speech and Debate had four members break into semi-finals, and one member place in finals. "Quote from semi-finalist." "Quote from finalist."
    This year, junior Ray Chao legged to State Champs, placing first in both varsity tournaments this year. At State Champs, Ray won the title of 2010 California State Champion in Original Advocacy, along with a $1000 scholarship to Stanford University for being the highest placing non-senior in his event. Ray said, "humble stuff here."
    All in all, this year's team attributed their success to their coaches, Ms. Josipa Casey and Ms. Ashley Novak. Ms. Novak had been out on a maternal leave for almost the entirety of the year, so Ms. Casey did a wonderful job maintaining the good aspects of the team and improving it to an insuperable level. "Quote from student thanking the coaches." "Quote from coaches."
    nancyxiao

Post  nancyxiao Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:13 pm

All year, Speech and Debate has been competing and doing well, but all in preparation of what? Speech and Debate State Championship Tournament!
    From Apr. 16 to Apr. 19, 15 members of AHS Speech and Debate traveled to Bakersfield, California to compete with other teams from all across the state. The competition lasted three days, with preliminary rounds on the first two days, and elimination rounds on the third. This tournament had the same events as most of the tournaments covered previously, ranging from arguing the credibility of lobbyists in Public Forum Debate to telling stories about fat kids with matches in Original Prose and Poetry. Freshman Rachel Ann Gasparini commented, "I really enjoyed watching Expository speaking, where they have props with lights and music." But for some, the best part of State Champs wasn't the competition, rather the bonding and friendships among team members. Junior Janna Singer-Baefsky said, "Because there are so few people who go to State Champs, you get really close with everyone there, and you get an entirely different level of intimacy because it's a one-time experience. This year is very different from last year's State Champs. It's indescribable, the different relationships that build. You have special bonds with your roommates, and you have different, but still special bonds with all of your other teammates."
    As for the competition, AHS Speech and Debate had four members (senior Virginia Ma, junior Ray Chao, junior Michelle Zhu, and sophomore Nancy Xiao) break into semi-finals, and one member (junior Ray Chao) place in finals. Junior Michelle Zhu said, "It really is an honor to break into semi-finals at State Champs because you realize that this is the best of the entire California. I feel like everyone has worked hard, and everyone deserves this. It really comes down to the fine-tuning and a little bit of luck doesn't hurt. I feel truly blessed to even be at State Champs." Junior Brian Castelloe from La Costa Canyon High School won fourth place in Original Oratory and said, "Finaling at State was a great experience. I had always dreamed of making State Finals, and I am so grateful that I was able to do so. All of the speeches in State Finals were amazing, and I felt so honored just to be there."
    This year, junior Ray Chao legged to State Champs, placing first in both varsity tournaments this year. At State Champs, Ray won the title of 2010 California State Champion in Original Advocacy, along with a $1000 scholarship to Stanford University for being the highest placing non-senior in his event. Ray said, "It's a shame that there is only one trophy for that state champion because my title doesn't recognize the dozens of people who have helped me get where I am today. My parents, coaches, friends, and teammates who have motivated me and pushed me to reach new levels didn't receive any recognition, but they certainly deserve to because they made me who I am today. Without this amazing speech team and their undue support, none of us would have success. I think it's a travesty to look at the title in such narrow terms...we should really recognize the team as a whole, especially our coaches who work endless hours just to make sure we have this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity." Ray never stops talking, but it's a wonderful thing.
    After the awards ceremony, a dance was held to celebrate and for speechies to socialize with members from other teams. "The dancing ranged from very mature styles to little more than rocking back and forth. It was very interesting to see people I met in such a professional setting such as a speech competition dancing in such a carefree setting," said sophomore Andy Qin.
    All in all, this year's team attributed their success to their coaches, Ms. Josipa Casey and Ms. Ashley Novak. Ms. Novak had been out on a maternal leave for almost the entirety of the year, so Ms. Casey did a wonderful job maintaining the good aspects of the team and improving it to an insuperable level. "Quote from Ms. Casey."
    nancyxiao

Post  nancyxiao Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:29 pm

From Apr. 16 to Apr. 19, 15 members of AHS Speech and Debate traveled to Bakersfield, California to compete with other teams from all across the state. The competition lasted three days, with preliminary rounds on the first two days, and elimination rounds on the third. This tournament had the same events as most of the tournaments covered previously, ranging from arguing the credibility of lobbyists in Public Forum Debate to telling stories about fat kids with matches in Original Prose and Poetry. Freshman Rachel Ann Gasparini commented, "I really enjoyed watching Expository speaking, where they have props with lights and music." But for some, the best part of State Champs wasn't the competition, rather the bonding and friendships among team members. Junior Janna Singer-Baefsky said, "Because there are so few people who go to State Champs, you get really close with everyone there, and you get an entirely different level of intimacy because it's a one-time experience. This year is very different from last year's State Champs. It's indescribable, the different relationships that build. You have special bonds with your roommates, and you have different, but still special bonds with all of your other teammates."
    As for the competition, AHS Speech and Debate had four members (senior Virginia Ma, junior Ray Chao, junior Michelle Zhu, and sophomore Nancy Xiao) break into semi-finals, and one member (junior Ray Chao) place in finals. Junior Michelle Zhu said, "It really is an honor to break into semi-finals at State Champs because you realize that this is the best of the entire California. I feel like everyone has worked hard, and everyone deserves this. It really comes down to the fine-tuning and a little bit of luck doesn't hurt. I feel truly blessed to even be at State Champs." Junior Brian Castelloe from La Costa Canyon High School won fourth place in Original Oratory and said, "Finaling at State was a great experience. I had always dreamed of making State Finals, and I am so grateful that I was able to do so. All of the speeches in State Finals were amazing, and I felt so honored just to be there."
    This year, junior Ray Chao legged to State Champs, placing first in both varsity tournaments this year. At State Champs, Ray won the title of 2010 California State Champion in Original Advocacy, along with a $1000 scholarship to Stanford University for being the highest placing non-senior in his event. Ray said, "It's a shame that there is only one trophy for that state champion because my title doesn't recognize the dozens of people who have helped me get where I am today. My parents, coaches, friends, and teammates who have motivated me and pushed me to reach new levels didn't receive any recognition, but they certainly deserve to because they made me who I am today. Without this amazing speech team and their undue support, none of us would have success. I think it's a travesty to look at the title in such narrow terms...we should really recognize the team as a whole, especially our coaches who work endless hours just to make sure we have this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity." Ray never stops talking, but it's a wonderful thing.
    After the awards ceremony, a dance was held to celebrate and for speechies to socialize with members from other teams. "The dancing ranged from very mature styles to little more than rocking back and forth. It was very interesting to see people I met in such a professional setting such as a speech competition dancing in such a carefree setting," said sophomore Andy Qin.
    All in all, this year's team attributed their success to their coaches, Ms. Josipa Casey and Ms. Ashley Novak. Ms. Novak had been out on a maternal leave for almost the entirety of the year, so Ms. Casey did a wonderful job maintaining the good aspects of the team and improving it to an insuperable level. Junior Angeline Nassif, "Even though this is my first year on the team, Ms. Casey helped me feel welcome into the Speech and Debate family. All her dedication inspired me to do my best." "Quote from Ms. Casey."
    nancyxiao

Post  nancyxiao Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:37 pm

All in all, this year's team attributed their success to their coaches, Ms. Josipa Casey and Ms. Ashley Novak. Ms. Novak had been out on a maternal leave for almost the entirety of the year, so Ms. Casey did a wonderful job maintaining the good aspects of the team and improving it to an insuperable level. Junior Angeline Nassif, "Even though this is my first year on the team, Ms. Casey helped me feel welcome into the Speech and Debate family. All her dedication inspired me to do my best." I think every member of AHS Speech and Debate can agree that the coaches, friendships, and competitions have made the 2009-2010 speech season the best one thus far.
    nancyxiao

Post  nancyxiao Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:25 pm

From Apr. 16 to Apr. 19, 15 members of AHS Speech and Debate traveled to Bakersfield, California to compete with other teams from all across the state. The competition lasted three days, with preliminary rounds on the first two days, and elimination rounds on the third. This tournament had the same events as most of the tournaments covered previously, ranging from arguing the credibility of lobbyists in Public Forum Debate to telling stories about fat kids with matches in Original Prose and Poetry. Freshman Rachel Ann Gasparini commented, "I really enjoyed watching Expository speaking, where they have props with lights and music." But for some, the best part of State Champs wasn't the competition, rather the bonding and friendships among team members. Junior Janna Singer-Baefsky said, "Because there are so few people who go to State Champs, you get really close with everyone there, and you get an entirely different level of intimacy because it's a one-time experience. It's indescribable, the different relationships that build. You have special bonds with your roommates, and you have different, but still special bonds, with all of your other teammates."
    As for the competition, AHS Speech and Debate had four members (senior Virginia Ma, junior Ray Chao, junior Michelle Zhu, and sophomore Nancy Xiao) break into semi-finals, and one member (junior Ray Chao) place in finals. Junior Michelle Zhu said, "It is such an honor to break into semi-finals at State Champs. I feel like everyone has worked hard, and everyone deserves this. Although the competition is tough, learning from other speechies is always a great experience. I feel truly blessed to even be at State Champs." Junior Brian Castelloe from La Costa Canyon High School won fourth place in Original Oratory and said, "Finaling at State was a great experience. I had always dreamed of making State Finals, and I am so grateful that I was able to do so. All of the speeches in State Finals were amazing, and I felt so honored just to be there."
    This year, junior Ray Chao legged to State Champs, placing first in both varsity tournaments. At State Champs, Ray won the title of 2010 California State Champion in Original Advocacy, along with a $1000 scholarship for being the highest placing non-senior in his event. Ray said, "It's a shame that there is only one trophy for that state champion because my title doesn't recognize the dozens of people who have helped me get where I am today. My parents, coaches, friends, and teammates who have motivated me and pushed me to reach new levels didn't receive any recognition, but they certainly deserve to because they made me who I am today. Without this amazing speech team and their undue support, none of us would have success. I think it's a travesty to look at the title in such narrow terms...we should really recognize the team as a whole, especially our coaches who work endless hours just to make sure we have this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity." Ray never stops talking, but it's a wonderful thing.
    After the awards ceremony, a dance was held to celebrate and to allow speechies to socialize with members from other teams. "The dancing ranged from very mature styles to little more than rocking back and forth. It was very interesting to see people I met in such a professional setting, such as a speech competition, dancing in such a carefree setting," said sophomore Andy Qin.
    All in all, the members of this year's team attributed their success to their coaches, Ms. Josipa Casey and Ms. Ashley Novak. Ms. Novak had been out on a maternity leave for almost the entirety of the year, so Ms. Casey did a wonderful job maintaining the good aspects of the team and improving it to an insuperable level. Junior Angeline Nassif commented, "Even though this is my first year on the team, Ms. Casey helped me feel welcome into the Speech and Debate family. All her dedication inspired me to do my best." Despite being the inspiration and driving force behind all of the team's success, Ms. Casey humbly focused on the team's accomplishments, rather than her own, and said, "The team had a fabulous weekend at State Champs. It was a lot of hard work but we had a great time competing and meeting new people. I'm so proud of the entire team and their accomplishments. It has been an amazing year." I think every member of AHS Speech and Debate can agree that the coaches, friendships, and competitions have made the 2009-2010 speech season the best one thus far.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:47 am