The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

2 posters

Iris Wang

reginaliu

Iris Wang Empty Iris Wang

Post  reginaliu Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:05 pm

Iris Wang
    Badminton, a commonly under-appreciated sport in Arcadia, has been brought into the light by sophomore Iris Wang. Iris and her team, the outstanding USA Uber Badminton Team, qualified for the Women’s Team World Badminton Championships, also known as the Uber Cup Finals, after defeating Peru on their home ground on Feb. 21 and winning the qualifiers.
    This year, the USA Uber Badminton Team is perhaps one of the strongest teams ever seen, made up of Olympians Mesinee Mangkalakiri and Eva Lee, a Pan Am Continental Youth Olympic Champion, and several Pan Am Junior Champions. This year, Iris has joined her elder sister AHS alumna Rena Wang on the team and they will both be fighting for the Team World Badminton Championships together. Iris said, “I’ve been on the same badminton team with my sister before, but to be competing with her for the Uber Cup is a whole new and exciting experience.”
    The final match against Peru, which would decide whether or not the USA team would qualify for the Uber Cup Finals, was off to a nail biting start as Rena took to the courts against Peru’s Claudia Rivero in the longest match of the qualifiers. Rena won the first game at 24-22, but Rivero had the edge during the second game and the rubber. During the second singles, USA Olympian Eva faced Peru’s Christina Aicardi. This game was a USA victory, leaving the score tied at 1-1. The third singles, with USA’s Cee Katpura against Peru’s Alejandra Menteverde, put the USA 2-1 up. During the last match, USA’s top pair, Olympians Eva and Mesinee, won two straight games and insured USA’s spot in the Uber Cup Finals.
    Although Iris and her team won the match, 3-1, the journey towards success was hardly an easy one. The team had to practice for long hours in order to prepare for the upcoming matches. Iris recalled that she often went home exhausted from practices.
    However, there are 11 teams (Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Denmark, Malaysia, India, Russia, Germany, Australia, South Africa, and China) who will be competing against the USA team for the Uber Cup Championship.
    For the preliminaries, the teams were split into four groups of three teams each on Mar. 8. The USA team has been grouped with that of China, the defending champions for the Thomas and Uber Cup, and Malaysia, this year’s host nation.
    The Uber Cup finals will be held from May 9 to 16 at the Putra Indoor Stadium in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
    “My team has already proven itself capable of qualifying for the Uber Cup Finals, so I think with a little more practice we could have just as fair a shot as any at winning the Uber Cup,” Iris said.
    Although not many AHS students will be able to accompany Iris all the way to Malaysia for a week, everybody will be with her in spirit, supporting her from here at AHS.
    reginaliu

Iris Wang Empty Re: Iris Wang

Post  reginaliu Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:41 pm

Iris Wang
    Badminton, a commonly under-appreciated sport in Arcadia, has been brought into the light by sophomore Iris Wang. Iris and her team, the outstanding USA Uber Badminton Team, qualified for the Women’s Team World Badminton Championships, also known as the Uber Cup Finals, after defeating Peru on their home ground on Feb. 21 and winning the qualifiers. Thus, in less than a month, Iris and her team will be traveling to Malaysia to compete for the Uber Cup.

This year, the USA Uber Badminton Team is perhaps one of the strongest teams ever seen, made up of Olympians Mesinee Mangkalakiri and Eva Lee, a Pan Am Continental Youth Olympic Champion, and several Pan Am Junior Champions. This year, Iris has joined her elder sister AHS alumna Rena Wang on the team and they will both be fighting for the Team World Badminton Championships together. Iris said, “I’ve been on the same badminton team with my sister before, but to be competing with her for the Uber Cup is a whole new and exciting experience.”

The final match against Peru, which would decide whether or not the USA team would qualify for the Uber Cup Finals, was off to a nail biting start as Rena took to the courts against Peru’s Claudia Rivero in the longest match of the qualifiers. Rena won the first game at 24-22, but Rivero had the edge during the second game and the rubber. During the second singles, USA Olympian Eva faced Peru’s Christina Aicardi. This game was a USA victory, leaving the score tied at 1-1. The third singles, with USA’s Cee Katpura against Peru’s Alejandra Menteverde, put the USA 2-1 up. During the last match, USA’s top pair, Olympians Eva and Mesinee, won two straight games and insured USA’s spot in the Uber Cup Finals.

Although Iris and her team won the match, 3-1, the journey towards success was hardly an easy one. The team had to practice for long hours in order to prepare for the upcoming matches. Iris recalled that she often went home exhausted from practices.

However, there are 11 teams (Korea, Japan, Indonesia, Denmark, Malaysia, India, Russia, Germany, Australia, South Africa, and China) who will be competing against the USA team for the Uber Cup Championship.

For the preliminaries, the teams were split into four groups of three teams each on Mar. 8. The USA team has been grouped with that of China, the defending champions for the Thomas and Uber Cup, and Malaysia, this year’s host nation.

The Uber Cup finals will be held from May 9 to 16 at the Putra Indoor Stadium in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

“I can't wait to go to Malaysia. It's always a great experience to be able to compete in another country. My team has already proven itself capable of qualifying for the Uber Cup Finals, so I think with a little more practice we could have just as fair a shot as any at winning the Uber Cup,” Iris said.

Although not many AHS students will be able to accompany Iris all the way to Malaysia for an entire week, everybody will be with her in spirit, supporting her from here at AHS.
    nancyxiao

Post  nancyxiao Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:47 am

Iris Wang
    Badminton, a commonly under-appreciated sport in Arcadia, has been brought into the light by sophomore Iris Wang. Iris and her team, the outstanding USA Uber Badminton Team, qualified for the Women’s Team World Badminton Championships, also known as the Uber Cup Finals, after defeating Peru on their home ground on Feb. 21 and winning the qualifiers. Thus, in less than a month, Iris and her team will be traveling to Malaysia to compete for the Uber Cup.

The final match against Peru, which would decide whether or not the USA team would qualify for the Uber Cup Finals, was off to a nail biting start as Rena took to the courts against Peru’s Claudia Rivero in the longest match of the qualifiers. Rena won the first game at 24-22, but Rivero had the edge during the second game and the rubber. During the second singles, USA Olympian Eva [Lee] faced Peru’s Christina Aicardi. This game was a USA victory, leaving the score tied at 1-1. The third singles, with USA’s Cee Katpura against Peru’s Alejandra Menteverde, put the USA 2-1 up. During the last match, USA’s top pair, Olympians Eva and Mesinee [last names], won two straight games and insured USA’s spot in the Uber Cup Finals.

“I can't wait to go to Malaysia. It's always a great experience to be able to compete in another country. My team has already proven itself capable of qualifying for the Uber Cup Finals, so I think with a little more practice we could have just as fair a shot as any at winning the Uber Cup,” Iris said.

Although not many AHS students will be able to accompany Iris all the way to Malaysia for an entire week, everybody will be with her in spirit, supporting her from here at AHS.
    reginaliu

Post  reginaliu Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:07 pm

Iris Wang

This year, the USA Uber Badminton Team is perhaps one of the strongest teams ever seen, made up of Olympians Mesinee Mangkalakiri and Eva Lee, a Pan Am Continental Youth Olympic Champion, and several Pan Am Junior Champions. This year, Iris has joined her elder sister AHS alumna Rena Wang on the team and they will both be fighting for the Team World Badminton Championships together. Iris said, “I’ve been on the same badminton team with my sister before, but to be competing with her for the Uber Cup is a whole new and exciting experience. Plus, this means we'll both be going to Malaysia! I can't wait to go. It's always a great experience to be able to compete in another country.”

The final match against Peru, which would decide whether or not the USA team would qualify for the Uber Cup Finals, was off to a nail biting start as Rena took to the courts against Peru’s Claudia Rivero in the longest match of the qualifiers. Rena won the first game at 24-22, but Rivero had the edge during the second game and the rubber. During the second singles, USA Olympian Lee faced Peru’s Christina Aicardi. This game was a USA victory, leaving the score tied at 1-1. The third singles, with USA’s Cee Katpura against Peru’s Alejandra Menteverde, put the USA 2-1 up. During the last match, USA’s top pair, Olympians Lee and Mangkalakiri, won two straight games and insured USA’s spot in the Uber Cup Finals.

Although Iris and her team won the match, 3-1, the journey towards success was hardly an easy one. The team had to practice for long hours in order to prepare for the upcoming matches. Iris recalled that she often went home exhausted from practices. Knowing it would be a step toward going to Malaysia to compete for the Uber Cup, the team pushed themselves and excelled.

“I know my experiences in Malaysia are going to be ones that I'll remember for the rest of my life. My team has already proven itself capable of qualifying for the Uber Cup Finals, so I think with a little more practice we could have just as fair a shot as any at winning the Uber Cup,” Iris said.

nancyxiao

Post  nancyxiao Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Iris Wang

This year, the USA Uber Badminton Team is perhaps one of the strongest teams ever seen [formed], made up of Olympians Mesinee Mangkalakiri and Eva Lee, a Pan Am Continental Youth Olympic Champion, and several Pan Am Junior Champions. This year, Iris has joined her elder sister AHS alumna Rena Wang [commas around] on the team and they will both be fighting for the Team World Badminton Championships together. Iris said, “I’ve been on the same badminton team with my sister before, but to be competing with her for the Uber Cup is a whole new and exciting experience. Plus, this means we'll both be going to Malaysia! I can't wait to go. It's always a great experience to be able to compete in another country.”

The final match against Peru, which would decide whether or not the USA team would qualify for the Uber Cup Finals, was off to a nail biting start as Rena took to the courts against Peru’s Claudia Rivero in the longest match of the qualifiers. Rena won the first game at 24-22, but Rivero had the edge during the second game and the rubber. During the second singles, USA Olympian Lee faced Peru’s Christina Aicardi. This game was a USA victory, leaving the score tied at 1-1. The third singles, with USA’s Cee Katpura against Peru’s Alejandra Menteverde, put the USA 2-1 up. During the last match, USA’s top pair, Olympians Lee and Mangkalakiri, won two straight games and insured USA’s spot [USA a spot] in the Uber Cup Finals.

Although Iris and her team won the match, 3-1, [with a score 3-1] the journey towards success was hardly an easy one. The team had to practice for long hours in order to prepare for the upcoming matches. Iris recalled that she often went home exhausted from practices. Knowing it would be a step toward going to Malaysia to compete for the Uber Cup, the team pushed themselves and excelled.

For the preliminaries, the teams were split into four groups of three teams each on Mar. 8. The USA team has been grouped with that of China, the defending champions for the Thomas and Uber Cup, and Malaysia, this year’s host nation. [maybe include something about how this is an insanely tough team, but the USA does have a chance]

“I know my experiences in Malaysia are going to be ones that I'll remember for the rest of my life. My team has already proven itself capable of qualifying for the Uber Cup Finals, so I think with a little more practice we could have just as fair a shot as any at winning the Uber Cup,” Iris said.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content