The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

4 posters

Ice Breaker Invitational Skeleton

nancyxiao

Ice Breaker Invitational Skeleton Empty Ice Breaker Invitational Skeleton

Post  nancyxiao Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:17 am

“How much does a polar bear weigh? Enough to break the ice!”
    Luckily, the novice Speech and Debate members will not be needing this banal pick-up line to meet members from other schools; they have the Ice Breaker Invitational! The Ice Breaker Invitational is a casual competition at Gabrielino High School on September 19th and its purpose is to get novices accustomed to different events and the goings-on of speech and debate. Events at Icebreakers generally have a lighthearted tone and promise to split some sides. There is the impromptu duo, SPAR, radio interview, and character debate. -quote from Ms. Casey, the new Speech and Debate coach who…..-quotes from Ms. Casey.
    For the impromptu duo, three topics are presented to two people. These topics can be as outrageous as giving birth while stuck in an elevator, a cougar hitting on a younger man, or a man who won’t leave a burning building because he wants to finish eating his cereal. -----quotes from a novice about them being nervous------
    SPAR stands for SPontaneous ARgument. It is a “serious” debate on “serious” issues, such as cats vs. dogs, Barbie vs. Bratz, and chocolate vs. vanilla. There is a one minute introduction period for both sides, a two minute cross-examination period, and a one minute summary period for both sides. For ____ and ____’s SPAR, they received ___vs.___ as their topic. ----quotes----
    The radio interview is pretty self-explanatory. The only difference is that the radio show host will not be interviewing Hilary Clinton or Dan Rather, they’ll be interviewing the cookie monster or the governator. –quotes-
    Character debate is where supermodels debate over Kleenex and hand sanitizer, where fish deliberate whether Hannah Montana trumps Selena Gomez, and where Spongebob characters fight over the theory of evolution and creative design. –quotes-
    It’s a good thing that pick-up line was never needed, otherwise, they would’ve sunk right through the ice!
    oisheeshemontee

Ice Breaker Invitational Skeleton Empty Re: Ice Breaker Invitational Skeleton

Post  oisheeshemontee Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:32 pm

“How much does a polar bear weigh? Enough to break the ice!”
    Luckily, the novice Speech and Debate members will not be needing this banal pick-up line [now that I think about it, is this a pick-up line??] to meet members from other schools; they have the Ice Breaker Invitational! The Ice Breaker Invitational is a casual competition at Gabrielino High School on September 19th and its purpose is to get novices accustomed to [competing in/at] different events and the goings-on of speech and debate. Events at Icebreakers generally have a lighthearted tone and promise to split some sides. There is the impromptu duo, SPAR, radio interview, and character debate. -quote from Ms. Casey, the new Speech and Debate coach who…..-quotes from Ms. Casey.
    For the impromptu duo, three topics are presented to two people. These topics can be as outrageous as giving birth while stuck in an elevator, a cougar hitting on a younger man, or a man who won’t leave a burning building because he wants to finish eating his cereal. -----quotes from a novice about them being nervous------
    SPAR stands for SPontaneous ARgument. It is a “serious” debate on “serious” issues, such as cats vs. dogs, Barbie vs. Bratz, and chocolate vs. vanilla. There is a one minute introduction period for both sides, a two minute cross-examination period, and a one minute summary period for both sides. For ____ and ____’s SPAR, they received ___vs.___ as their topic. ----quotes----
    The radio interview is pretty self-explanatory. The only difference is that the radio show host will not be interviewing Hilary Clinton or Dan Rather, they’ll be interviewing the cookie monster or the governator. –quotes-
    Character debate is where supermodels debate over Kleenex and hand sanitizer, where fish deliberate whether Hannah Montana trumps Selena Gomez, and where Spongebob characters fight over the theory of evolution and creative design. –quotes-
    It’s a good thing that pick-up line was never needed, otherwise, they would’ve sunk right through the ice!
    nancyxiao

Post  nancyxiao Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:36 pm

Breaking the Ice
    Polar Bears weigh 770 lbs.
    Speech and De-Break!
    [I KNOW I KNOW THESE ARE THE LAMEST TITLE IDEAS IN THE WORLD FORGIVE ME]

“How much does a polar bear weigh? Enough to break the ice! Hi, my name is _____.” Luckily, the novice Speech and Debate members did not need this banal pick-up line to meet members from other schools; they had the Ice Breaker Invitational! The Ice Breaker Invitational is a casual competition at Gabrielino High School on September 19th and its purpose is to get novices accustomed to competing in different events and the goings-on of Speech and Debate. Events at Icebreakers generally have a lighthearted tone and promise to split some sides. There is the impromptu duo, SPAR, radio interview, and character debate. Members of the team will be accompanied by the new coach, Ms. Josepia Casey, who said, “I’m looking forward to bringing home some trophies!” Let’s hope Ms. Casey gets her wish!
    For the impromptu duo, three topics are presented to two people. These topics can be as outrageous as “giving birth while stuck in an elevator”, “a cougar hitting on a younger man”, or “a man who won’t leave a burning building because he wants to finish eating his cereal”. Sophomore Mina Zomorod and her partner, junior Olivia Sui, received "bad day at the barber shop" as their topic. The impromptu duo was actually Mina’s favorite event “because [she was] able to use [her] imagination and creativity.”
    SPAR stands for SPontaneous ARgument. It is a “serious” debate on “serious” issues, such as “cats are better than dogs”, “Barbies are prettier than Bratz”, and “chocolate is more useful than vanilla”. There is a one minute introduction period for both sides, a two minute cross-examination period, and a one minute summary period for both sides. For freshman Calvin Ho and junior Michelle Zhu’s SPAR, they received “doctors are smarter than lawyers” as their topic. As a novice and a freshman, Calvin is ecstatic and exclaimed, “I get to brag to all my friends that I’m on Speech and Debate.” When asked what it felt like to be a freshman on the team, Calvin explained, “The upper classmen are very friendly and treat me very nicely. My partner was the best partner I could ever wish for!”
    The radio interview is pretty self-explanatory. The only difference is that the radio show host will not be interviewing Hilary Clinton or Dan Rather; they’ll be interviewing a foreign spy or someone with no toes. In the actual competition, Sophomore Greg Chang put on a Borat accent to interview sophomore Caroline Young, the Miss-America runner-up. Caroline stated, “It turned out spectacularly…loud at the end.”
    Character debate is where supermodels debate over Kleenex and hand sanitizer, where fish deliberate whether Hannah Montana trumps Selena Gomez, and where Spongebob characters fight over the theory of evolution and creative design. Sophomore Farihah Chowdhury and senior Andrew Chang were chefs debating on the topic of “McDonalds is better than Taco Bell.” Farihah recounted the event with detail, “I threw on a half French/half Borat accent, while Andrew chose a hilarious Chinese one. He described how he found poop in his burger and pointed vigorously towards our opponents, claiming that it was probably theirs. By the time we were done stating our points, our opponents were speechless.” The Arcadia Speech and Debate team was definitely not speechless when Andrew and Farihah took 1st place out of the hundreds of teams that competed. When asked about her teammate, Farihah declared, “Andrew Chang is one heck of a partner. Honestly, who can’t resist that dashing face?”
    Good luck to all of the Speech and Debate members on all of their upcoming tournaments. And hey, it’s a good thing that pick-up line was never needed, otherwise, they would’ve sunk right through the ice!
    melanieyuen

Post  melanieyuen Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:28 am

“How much does a polar bear weigh? Enough to break the ice!” Luckily, the novice Speech and Debate members did not need this pick-up line to meet members from schools; they had the Ice Breaker Invitational! This competition at Gabrielino High School on Sep.19 was to get novices accustomed to competing. There is the impromptu duo, SPAR, radio interview, and character debate.
    For the impromptu duo, three topics are presented to two people. These topics can be as silly as “a man who won’t leave a burning building because he wants to finish eating his cereal”. The impromptu duo was sophomore Mina Zomorod’s favorite event “because [she was] able to use [her] imagination and creativity.”
    SPAR is a “serious” debate on “serious” issues, such as “Barbies are prettier than Bratz.” There is a 1-minute introduction period for both sides, a 2-minute cross-examination period, and a 1-minute summary period for both sides. For freshman Calvin Ho and junior Michelle Zhu, they received “doctors are smarter than lawyers” as their topic. As a novice, Ho exclaimed, “I get to brag to all my friends that I’m on Speech and Debate.”
    For the radio interview, sophomore Greg Chang put on a Borat accent to interview sophomore Caroline Young, the Miss-America runner-up. Young stated, “It turned out spectacularly…loud at the end.”
    Sophomore Farihah Chowdhury and senior Andrew Chang were chefs debating on the topic of “McDonalds is better than Taco Bell” in the character debate. Chowdhury recounted the event with detail, “By the time we were done stating our points, our opponents were speechless.”
    Good luck to all members on their upcoming tournaments. And hey, it’s a good thing that pick-up line was never needed; otherwise, they would’ve sunk right through the ice!
    Joanna Shen

Post  Joanna Shen Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:54 pm

“How much does a polar bear weigh? Enough to break the ice!” Luckily, this year’s novice Speech and Debate members did not need this pick-up line to acquaint themselves with others; they had the Ice Breaker Invitational! This tournament, hosted by Gabrielino High School on Sept. 19, allowed novices to get use to competing. Novices are paired up to compete in four events: impromptu duo, spontaneous argument (SPAR), radio interview, and character debate. The team was accompanied by the new coach, Ms. Josepia Casey, who said, “I’m looking forward to bringing home some trophies!”
    In impromptu duo, each pair is assigned a scenario that they must act out. This was sophomore Mina Zomorod’s favorite event “because [she was] able to use [her] imagination and creativity.”
    SPAR is a “serious” debate on issues such as “Barbies are prettier than Bratz” or “sandals should not be worn to meet Barack Obama.”
    In radio interview, sophomore Greg Chang put on a Borat accent to interview sophomore Caroline Young, the Miss America runner-up. Caroline stated, “It turned out spectacularly…loud at the end.”
    Sophomore Farihah Chowdhury and senior Andrew Chang were chefs arguing that “McDonalds is better than Taco Bell” in character debate. Chowdhury recounted the event with detail, “By the time we were done stating our points, our opponents were speechless.”
    Indeed, Farihah and Andrew wowed competitors with their performance, earning 1st place out of over 200 duos in the tournament. Arcadia also placed three other duos in the top fourteen, more than any other school except for Gabrielino.
    Good luck to members on their upcoming tournaments. And hey, it’s a good thing that pick-up line was never needed; otherwise, they would’ve sunk right through the ice!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:34 pm