The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow


    Going Green

    Share

    Joanna Shen

    Posts : 87
    Join date : 2009-08-31

    Going Green

    Post  Joanna Shen on Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:47 am

    Saving the World one Change at a time
    Unsuspected Ways to Go Green
    Go Green Globally

    With the surge of going green being promoted by celebrities, major companies and the media, we are now familiar with the usual “green” actions – switching to fluorescent light bulbs, turning off the faucet when brushing your teeth, and recycling. However, many don’t know that there are many other subtle changes we can make that are not as blatantly apparent but can make dramatic changes to resource conservation.
    As many argue, cell phones are quite synonymous to life. When we charge these phones, only 5% of the power in the charger is actually used to charge. The other 95% of power is lost simply because the charger is plugged into the wall. If just 10% of cell phone users unplugged their chargers, the energy saved can power 60,000 homes for a year.
    Going on vacation? Opt for voice mail over the traditional answering machine. Answering machines contribute to the growing e-waste when they become outdated and consume more energy in a year than even laptops do. Centralizing voice mail into larger servers saves electricity as well.
    Toilets often use more water than necessary to remove waste. By simply placing a water and gravel filled plastic jug in the toilet tank, you can convert your toilet into a low-flush toilet. The displacement of water caused by the jug will result in a toilet that reduces water usage by more than 50%.
    Use rechargeable batteries. Many recognize the effectiveness of using such batteries but fail to realize that the lifespan of one rechargeable battery is the equivalent to that of 1,000 regular batteries. Rechargeable batteries save you money and reduce the amount of e-waste as well.
    Clean the lint filter in your washing machine. Leaving excessive lint will block the circulation of hot air and require the machine to work much harder, reducing efficiency by 30% and consuming more energy as well.
    Traditional household cleaners account for more than 10% of toxic exposures to the environment. So, opt for homemade mixtures that are more environmental friendly. For sprays, Combine in a spray bottle 2 cups water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/4 tsp. tea tree oil, and 1/4 tsp. lavender oil.
    We don’t have to reverse our lives completely to save the Earth. These alternatives are simple and most can be accomplished within minutes and make everlasting impacts. So spread the word, make a change, and as cliché as it might sounds, save the world.

    lenakalemkiarian

    Posts : 166
    Join date : 2009-09-01

    Re: Going Green

    Post  lenakalemkiarian on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:47 pm

    With the surge of going green being promoted by celebrities, major companies[,] and the media, we are now familiar with the usual “green” actions – switching to fluorescent light bulbs, turning off the faucet when brushing your teeth, and recycling. However, many don’t know that there are many other subtle changes we can make that are not as blatantly apparent but can make dramatic changes to resource conservation.
    As many argue, cell phones are quite synonymous to life. When we charge these phones, only 5% of the power in the charger is actually used to charge. The other 95% of power is lost simply because the charger is plugged into the wall. If just 10% of cell phone users unplugged their chargers, the energy saved can power 60,000 homes for a year.
    Going on vacation? Opt for voice mail over the traditional answering machine. Answering machines contribute to the growing e-waste when they become outdated and consume more energy in a year than even laptops do. Centralizing voice mail into larger servers saves electricity as well.
    Toilets often use more water than necessary to remove waste. By simply placing a water and gravel filled plastic jug in the toilet tank, you can convert your toilet into a low-flush toilet. The displacement of water caused by the jug will result in a toilet that reduces water usage by more than 50%.
    Use rechargeable batteries. Many recognize the effectiveness of using such batteries[,] but fail to realize that the lifespan of one rechargeable battery is the equivalent to that of 1,000 regular batteries. Rechargeable batteries save you money and reduce the amount of e-waste as well.
    Clean the lint filter in your washing machine. Leaving excessive lint will block the circulation of hot air and require the machine to work much harder, reducing efficiency by 30% and consuming more energy as well.
    Traditional household cleaners account for more than 10% of toxic exposures to the environment. So, opt for homemade mixtures that are more environmental friendly. For sprays, Combine in a spray bottle 2 cups water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/4 tsp. tea tree oil, and 1/4 tsp. lavender oil.
    We don’t have to reverse our lives completely to save the Earth. These alternatives are simple and most can be accomplished within minutes and make everlasting impacts. So spread the word, make a change, and as cliché as it might sounds[delete: s], save the world.

    Joanna Shen

    Posts : 87
    Join date : 2009-08-31

    Re: Going Green

    Post  Joanna Shen on Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:12 pm

    With the surge of save-the-environment notions being promoted by celebrities, major companies, and the media, we are now familiar with the usual “green” actions— switching to fluorescent light bulbs, turning off the faucet when brushing our teeth, and recycling. However, many of us don’t know that there are many other subtle changes we can make that are not as blatantly apparent but can make dramatic changes to resource conservation. And with Earth Day on Apr. 22, help prove that we can continue to help our planet not just one day, but every day.
    As many argue, cell phones are quite synonymous to life. When we charge these phones, only 5% of the power in the charger is actually used to charge. The other 95% of power is lost simply because the charger is plugged into the wall. If just 10% of cell phone users unplugged their chargers, the energy saved can power 60,000 homes for a year.
    Going on vacation? Opt for voicemail over the traditional answering machine. Answering machines contribute to the growing e-waste when they become outdated and consume more energy in a year than laptops do. Centralizing voicemail into larger servers saves electricity as well.
    Toilets often use more water than necessary to remove waste. To solve this problem fill an empty plastic gallon-jug (an empty milk container will suffice) with several inches of gravel or pebbles. Fill the rest of the jug up with water. By simply placing the jug in the toilet tank and allowing it to sit at the bottom of the tank, you can convert your toilet into a low-flush toilet. The displacement of water caused by the jug will result in a toilet that reduces water usage by more than 50%.
    Use rechargeable batteries. Many recognize the effectiveness of using such batteries, but fail to realize that the lifespan of one rechargeable battery is the equivalent to that of 1,000 regular batteries. Rechargeable batteries save you money and reduce the amount of e-waste as well.
    Clean the lint filter in your washing machine. Leaving excessive lint will block the circulation of hot air and will require the machine to work much harder than it has to, reducing efficiency by 30% and consuming more energy as well.
    Traditional household cleaners account for more than 10% of toxic exposures to the environment. So, opt for homemade mixtures that are more environmentally friendly. For cleaning sprays, combine 2 cups water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/4 tsp. tea tree oil, and 1/4 tsp. lavender oil in a spray bottle to produce an organic mixture.
    We don’t have to reverse our lives completely to save the Earth. These alternatives are simple and most can be accomplished within minutes and make everlasting impacts. So spread the word, make a change, and as cliché as it might sound, save the world.

    Joanna Shen

    Posts : 87
    Join date : 2009-08-31

    Re: Going Green

    Post  Joanna Shen on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:31 am

    With the surge of save-the-environment notions being promoted by celebrities, major companies, and the media, we are now familiar with the usual “green” actions— switching to fluorescent light bulbs, turning off the faucet when brushing our teeth, and recycling. However, many of us don’t know that there are many other subtle changes we can make that are not as blatantly apparent but can make dramatic changes to resource conservation. And with Earth Day on Apr. 22, help prove that we can continue to help our planet not just one day, but every day.
    As many argue, cell phones are quite synonymous to life. When we charge these phones, only 5% of the power in the charger is actually used to charge. The other 95% of power is lost simply because the charger is plugged into the wall. If just 10% of cell phone users unplugged their chargers, the energy saved can power 60,000 homes for a year.
    Toilets often use more water than necessary to remove waste. To solve this problem, fill an empty plastic gallon-jug (an milk container will suffice) with several inches of gravel or pebbles. Fill the rest of the jug up with water. By simply placing the jug in the toilet tank and allowing it to sit at the bottom of the tank, you can convert your toilet into a low-flush toilet. The displacement of water caused by the jug will result in a toilet that reduces water usage by more than 50%.
    Use rechargeable batteries. Many recognize the effectiveness of using such batteries, but fail to realize that the lifespan of one rechargeable battery is the equivalent to that of 1,000 regular batteries. Rechargeable batteries save you money and reduce the amount of e-waste as well.
    Clean the lint filter in your washing machine. Leaving excessive lint will block the circulation of hot air and will require the machine to work much harder than it has to, reducing efficiency by 30% and consuming more energy as well.
    Traditional household cleaners account for more than 10% of toxic exposures to the environment. So, opt for homemade mixtures that are more environmentally friendly. For cleaning sprays, combine 2 cups water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/4 tsp. tea tree oil, and 1/4 tsp. lavender oil in a spray bottle to produce an organic mixture.
    We don’t have to reverse our lives completely to save the Earth. These alternatives are simple and most can be accomplished within minutes and make everlasting impacts. So spread the word, make a change, and as cliché as it might sound, save the world.

    Joanna Shen

    Posts : 87
    Join date : 2009-08-31

    Re: Going Green

    Post  Joanna Shen on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:36 am

    With the surge of save-the-environment notions being promoted by celebrities, major companies, and the media, we are now familiar with the usual “green” actions— switching to fluorescent light bulbs, turning off the faucet when brushing our teeth, and recycling. However, many of us don’t know that there are many other subtle changes we can make that are not as blatantly apparent but can make dramatic changes to resource conservation. And with Earth Day on Apr. 22, help prove that we can continue to help our planet not just one day, but every day.
    For many of us, cell phones are our lives. But they can be one of the most energy-consuming electronic device we own. When we charge these phones, only 5% of the power in the charger is actually used to charge. The other 95% of power is lost simply because the charger is plugged into the wall. If just 10% of cell phone users unplugged their chargers, the energy saved can power 60,000 homes for a year.
    Toilets often use more water than necessary to remove waste. To solve this problem, fill an empty plastic gallon-jug (an milk container will suffice) with several inches of gravel or pebbles. Fill the rest of the jug up with water. By simply placing the jug in the toilet tank and allowing it to sit at the bottom of the tank, you can convert your toilet into a low-flush toilet. The displacement of water caused by the jug will result in a toilet that reduces water usage by more than 50%.
    Clean the lint filter in your washing machine. Leaving excessive lint will block the circulation of hot air and will require the machine to work much harder than it has to, reducing efficiency by 30% and consuming more energy as well.
    Traditional household cleaners account for more than 10% of toxic exposures to the environment. So, opt for homemade mixtures that are more environmentally friendly. For cleaning sprays, combine 2 cups water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/4 tsp. tea tree oil, and 1/4 tsp. lavender oil in a spray bottle to produce an organic mixture.
    We don’t have to reverse our lives completely to save the Earth. These alternatives are simple and most can be accomplished within minutes and make everlasting impacts. So spread the word, make a change, and as cliché as it might sound, save the world.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Going Green

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:32 am