The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

3 posters

Fall Debate Skeleton

nancyxiao

Fall Debate Skeleton Empty Fall Debate Skeleton

Post  nancyxiao Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 am

Fall Debate Skeleton - Oishee Shemontee & Nancy Xiao

Once again, Speech and Debate has hit the ground running, ready for another exciting year! Now that even the novices have two competitions under their belts, they’re prepared to shine at the real thing now.
    Fall Debate, held at Alhambra High School on Friday, Oct. 16 and Saturday, Oct. 17, is the first ‘official’ tournament of the year, -and is open to both novices and returning members. Debating events vary from the more lighthearted Parliamentary debates (Parli) to the intense logical warfare that is Lincoln-Douglas debating (LD).
    Some may have noticed the random formal attire in the halls on Friday. This is because Speech and Debate got busy right after school, as the novices carpooled over to Alhambra High, where they competed in various debates. Most first-timers paired up for Parli, where they were given a topic twenty minutes before they had to debate against their opponents. However, this was not the only option available. From Congress Debating to Public Forum to Policy Debate, everyone was arguing away happily. “Quote about how hard/fun it is…”, said sophomore Grace Song of the whole experience.
    Night had fallen long before the novices finished their debates. On the next day, their more experienced counterparts took the stage instead – in the same events, but with significantly harder topics and against tougher opponents. Parli topics for varsity included “This House believes in whatever the topic was” and “This House believes in something else”. However, this presented no problem for Speech and Debate’s seasoned veterans. “Quote from someone who was there”, commented soph/junior/senior Somebody Someone.
    ----if they win awards, quotes about awards----
    Speech and Debate started the year off with a bang and we’ll definitely be hearing more from them!
    Joanna Liao

Fall Debate Skeleton Empty copy edit #1

Post  Joanna Liao Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:04 pm

Once again, Speech and Debate has hit the ground running, ready for another exciting year! Now that even (delete: even) the novices have two competitions under their belts, they’re prepared to shine at the real thing now (delete: now).
    Fall Debate, held at Alhambra High School on Friday, Oct. 16 and Saturday, Oct. 17, is (change “is” to “was”) the first ‘official’ tournament of the year, -and is (change “is” to “was”) open to both novices and returning members. Debating events vary from the more lighthearted Parliamentary debates (Parli) to the intense logical warfare that is Lincoln-Douglas debating (LD).
    Some may have noticed the random formal attire in the halls on Friday. This is because Speech and Debate got busy right after school, as the novices carpooled over to Alhambra High, where they competed in various debates. Most first-timers paired up for Parli, where they were given a topic twenty minutes before they had to debate against their opponents. However, this was not the only option available. From Congress Debating to Public Forum to Policy Debate, everyone was arguing away happily. “Quote about how hard/fun it is…”, said sophomore Grace Song of the whole experience.
    Night had fallen long before the novices finished their debates. On the next day, their more experienced counterparts took the stage instead – in the same events, but with significantly harder topics and against tougher opponents. Parli topics for varsity included “This House believes in whatever the topic was” (change “whatever the topic was” to “…”) and “This House believes in something else”. However, this presented no problem for Speech and Debate’s seasoned veterans. “Quote from someone who was there”, commented soph/junior/senior Somebody Someone.
    Speech and Debate started the year off with a bang and we’ll definitely be hearing more from them!
    oisheeshemontee

Fall Debate Skeleton Empty Edit #1

Post  oisheeshemontee Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:21 pm

Once again, Speech and Debate has hit the ground running, ready for another exciting year! Now that all the members have had at least two minor competitions under their belts, they’re prepared to shine at the real thing.
    Fall Debate, held at Alhambra High School on Friday, Oct. 16 and Saturday, Oct. 17, was the first ‘official’ tournament of the year, and was open to both novices and returning members. Debating events vary from the more lighthearted Parliamentary debates (Parli) to the intense logical warfare that is Lincoln-Douglas debating (LD).
    Night had fallen long before the novices finished their debates. On the next day, their more experienced counterparts took the stage instead – in the same events, but with significantly harder topics and against tougher opponents. Parli topics for varsity included “...” and “This House believes in something else”. However, this presented no problem for Speech and Debate’s seasoned veterans. “Quote from someone who was there”, commented soph/junior/senior Somebody Someone.
    Speech and Debate started the year off with a bang and we’ll definitely be hearing more from them!\

Actual results and quotes won't be in until next week
    Joanna Liao

Fall Debate Skeleton Empty Re: Fall Debate Skeleton

Post  Joanna Liao Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:37 pm

Once again, Speech and Debate has hit the ground running, ready for another exciting year! Now that all the members have had at least two minor competitions under their belts (reword: under their belts), they’re prepared to shine at the real thing.
    Fall Debate, held at Alhambra High School on Friday, Oct. 16 and Saturday, Oct. 17, was the first ‘official’ tournament of the year, and was open to both novices and returning members. Debating events vary from the more lighthearted Parliamentary debates (Parli) to the intense logical warfare that is Lincoln-Douglas debating (LD).
    Some may have noticed the random (delete random) formal attire in the halls on Friday. This is because Speech and Debate got busy right after school, as the novices carpooled over to Alhambra High, where they competed in various debates. Most first-timers paired up for Parli, where they were given a topic twenty minutes before they had to debate against their opponents. However, this was not the only option available. From Congress Debating to Public Forum to Policy Debate, everyone was arguing away happily (happily arguing away). “Quote about how hard/fun it is…”, said sophomore Grace Song of the whole experience.
    Night had fallen long before the novices finished their debates. On the next day, their more experienced counterparts took the stage instead – in the same events, but with significantly harder topics and against tougher opponents. Parli topics for varsity included “...” and “This House believes in something else”. However, this presented no problem for Speech and Debate’s seasoned veterans. “Quote from someone who was there”, commented soph/junior/senior Somebody Someone.
    Speech and Debate started the year off with a bang and we’ll definitely be hearing more from them!\

Actual results and quotes won't be in until next week
    nancyxiao

Post  nancyxiao Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:50 pm

Once again, Speech and Debate has hit the ground running, ready for another exciting year! Now that all the members have had at least two competitions under their belts, they’re prepared to shine at the real thing.
    Some may have noticed the formal attire in the halls on Friday. This is because Speech and Debate got busy right after school, as the novices carpooled over to Alhambra High, where they competed in various debates. Most first-timers paired up for Parli, where they were given a topic twenty minutes before they had to debate against their opponents. However, this was not the only option available. From Congress Debating to Public Forum to Policy Debate, everyone was arguing away happily.
    “It was really fun and my partner, sophomore Amber Young, was really supportive. No matter the outcome, we had a great time,” said sophomore Wendy Huang, who competed in Parli Debate and recieved topics such as "This House believes that rain is good" and "This House believes that when in confict, the US should prioritize healthcare over education". Freshmen Tiffany Wu, another Novice Parli Debater, agreed with Wendy on how fun the competition was and said, "Even though my stomach hurt at the beginning, it turned out to be a blast at the end and super exciting!" Sophomore Grace Song said, "I was very nervous each time we recieved a resolution and I would just think 'Oh no..." and freak out. My partner really helped me put our ideas on paper and the whole time I felt as if we were masterminds plotting a bank robbery; the secrecy made me feel as if I was going into a battle every round."
    Night had fallen long before the novices finished their debates. On the next day, their more experienced counterparts took the stage – in the same events, but with significantly harder topics and against tougher opponents. Parli topics for varsity included “This House believes that _______________________________” and “This House believes _________________________________________”. However, this presented no problem for Speech and Debate’s seasoned veterans. “Quote from someone who was there. I am just typing in words to measure about how long the quote will be," commented GradeLevel Somebody Someone.
    In order to win a tropy at Fall Debate, a competitor must win every single round, 3 for Parli, 4 for Lincoln-Douglas, _ for Public Forum, _ for Policy, and _ for Congress. Arcadia did extremely well at Fall Debate and finished with _ trophies: _ in Parli, _ in LD, _ in PuFo, _ in Policy, and _ in Congress. GradeLevel Someone Somebody exclaimed, "Something about being super excited about winning and how this will motivate them to do even better throughout the entire year!"
    nancyxiao

Post  nancyxiao Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Oishee Shemontee & Nancy Xiao

Falling Up!
    Autumn Deliberation
    [I'm sorry world, I have the lamest title ideas T____T]

Once again, Speech and Debate has hit the ground running, ready for another exciting year! Now that all the members have had at least two competitions under their belts, they’re prepared to shine at the real thing.
    Fall Debate, held at Alhambra High School on Friday, Oct. 16 and Saturday, Oct. 17, was the first ‘official’ tournament of the year, and was open to both novices and returning members. Debating events vary from the more lighthearted Parliamentary debates (Parli) to the intense logical warfare known as Lincoln-Douglas debating (LD).
    Some may have noticed the formal attire in the halls on Friday. This is because Speech and Debate got busy right after school, as the novices carpooled over to Alhambra High, where they competed in various debates. Most first-timers paired up for Parli, where they were given a topic twenty minutes before they had to debate against their opponents. However, this was not the only option available. From Congress Debating to Public Forum to Policy Debate, everyone happily argued away.
    The Parli resolutions that night included "This House believes that rain is good" and "This House believes that when in confict, the US should prioritize healthcare over education". Sophomore Wendy Huang came across these topics and said, “It was really fun! My partner, sophomore Amber Young, was so supportive. No matter the outcome, we had a great time.” Freshmen Tiffany Wu, another Novice Parli Debater, agreed with Wendy on how fun the competition was and said, "Even though my stomach hurt at the beginning, it turned out to be a blast at the end and super exciting!" Sophomore Grace Song admitted, "I was very nervous each time we recieved a resolution and I would just think 'Oh no..." and freak out. My partner really helped me put our ideas on paper and the whole time I felt as if we were masterminds plotting a bank robbery; the secrecy made me feel as if I was going into a battle every round."
    Night had fallen long before the novices finished their debates. On the next day, their more experienced counterparts took the stage in the same events – with significantly harder topics and against tougher opponents. Parli topics for varsity included “This House believes that _______________________________” and “This House believes _________________________________________”. This, however, presented no problems for Arcadia Speech and Debate’s seasoned veterans. “Quote from someone who was there. I am just typing in words to measure about how long the quote will be," commented GradeLevel Somebody Someone.
    In order to win a tropy at Fall Debate, a competitor must win every single round, 3 for Parli, 4 for Lincoln-Douglas, _ for Public Forum, _ for Policy, and _ for Congress. Arcadia did extremely well at Fall Debate and finished with _ trophies: _ in Parli, _ in LD, _ in PuFo, _ in Policy, and _ in Congress. GradeLevel Someone Somebody exclaimed, "Something about being super excited about winning and how this will motivate them to do even better throughout the entire year!"
    nancyxiao

Post  nancyxiao Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:39 pm

Speech and Debate Falling Up! (I THINK that' s the title, can' t quite remember, but i THINK!)

Fall Debate, held at Alhambra High School on Friday, Oct. 16 and Saturday, Oct. 17, was the first ‘official’ tournament of the year, and was open to both novices and returning members. Debating events vary from the more lighthearted Parliamentary debates (Parli) to the intense logical warfare known as Lincoln-Douglas debating (LD).
    Some may have noticed the formal attire in the halls on Friday. This is because Speech and Debate got busy right after school, as the novices carpooled over to Alhambra High, where they competed in various debates. Most first-timers paired up for Parli, where they were given a topic twenty minutes before they had to debate against their opponents. However, this was not the only option available. From Congress Debating to Public Forum to Policy Debate, everyone happily argued away.
    The Parli resolutions that night included "This House believes that rain is good" and "This House believes that when in confict, the US should prioritize healthcare over education". Sophomore Wendy Huang came across these topics and said, “It was really fun! My partner, sophomore Amber Young, was so supportive. No matter the outcome, we had a great time.” Freshmen Tiffany Wu, another Novice Parli Debater, agreed with Wendy on how fun the competition was and said, "Even though my stomach hurt at the beginning, it turned out to be a blast at the end and super exciting!" Sophomore Grace Song admitted, "I was very nervous each time we recieved a resolution and I would just think 'Oh no...' and freak out. My partner really helped me put our ideas on paper and the whole time I felt as if we were masterminds plotting a bank robbery; the secrecy made me feel as if I was going into a battle every round."
    Night had fallen long before the novices finished their debates. On the next day, their more experienced counterparts took the stage in the same events – with significantly harder topics and against tougher opponents. Parli topics for varsity included “Should this House abolish the electoral college?” and “This House believes that when resolveing world conflicts, the UN is better than NATO.” These mind-boggling topics, however, presented no problems for Arcadia Speech and Debate’s seasoned veterans.
    In order to win a tropy at Fall Debate, a competitor must win every single round, 3 for Parli, 4 for Lincoln-Douglas, and get ranked in Congress. Arcadia did extremely well at Fall Debate and finished with 5 trophies: 3 in Parli, 1 in LD, and 1 in Congress. Freshmen Mary Guyer also broke finals in Novice Congress but did not trophy. Senior Isabella Urrea placed 5th in Varsity Parli with her partner, Senior Jasmine Wong, and exclaimed, "I was really excited because I love Parli and I love the spontaneity of it! When you arrive at the tournament, you have no idea what's gonna happen. I'm really happy I won!"
    Speech and Debate started the year off with a bang and we will definitely be hearing more from them!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 3:21 am