The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

2 posters

Q&A with Ms. Tedford

phuynh

Q&A with Ms. Tedford Empty Q&A with Ms. Tedford

Post  phuynh Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:11 am

Instructor of dance, perfectionist of ballet, muse of jazz, tap sensation. Who could this be? None other than Arcadia High’s very own Ms. Liza Tedford. At the tender age of six, she started her formal training in a dance studio in Northern California. At the time she started to major on ballet and even joined a prestigious ballet company for nine years. As time changes, so does Ms. Tedford’s favorite genre of dance; so its no surprise that as she grew older she began to concentrate more on jazz. When Ms. Tedford set out for college, she was exposed to modern style dance and “fell in love” with its innovative new moves.
    After graduating college, Ms. Tedford was discovered and asked to join the NBA’s Los Angeles Clipper Girls. While with the Clipper Girls, she met many celebrities such as Billy Crystal, most famous for Oscar Nominee, When Harry Met Sally… While cheering for the L.A. Clippers, Ms. Tedford met Basket Hall of Famer—Earvin “Magic” Johnson who played for the rival team, the Lakers. She thought that “he was super cool” but also a “player”. TV announcer, Bill Walton was always kind and humble, which seemed quite “amazing for a man with such a great athletic history.” One thing that Ms. Tedford learned from being acquainted with celebrities is that “fame generally turns people into unkind and dismissive twerps.” Ms. Tedford was able to stay sane thanks to the rest of the Clipper Girls, who were really friendly, supportive, and they became her best friends. The thing that Ms. Tedford remembers most is “the size and energy of the crowd[s]” of the Clipper fans.
    Transitioning from the buzz and excitement of the Clippers to the lifestyle of a dance teacher was huge because they were opposites. Ms. Tedford was able to do just fine due to her desire for dance—her whole life had revolved around it. There was not a time in her life that she did not want to be a dancer, she “needs dancing like [she] need[s] food.” Whenever Ms. Tedford dances she “can be anyone, be anywhere, do anything” and there is nothing “complicated” about it.
    Many of Ms. Tedford’s beginning dancers slowly but surely make their way up to the Orchesis Dance Company. She loves to watch the development of the “untapped talent” her kids reveal once they are free from all the pressures of high school and able to just dance. She constantly encourages her students to “just go for it” because it’s learning. It is always better to take the risk and find out what happens rather than regretting what “could” have happened. After her disciples graduate, they still keep in touch with each other and she even goes to some of their performances. Jia Huang, an old student, was a back-up singer for one of Britney Spears’ concert and Ms. Tedford came to watch how much Jia had grown since high school. She loves hearing from each and every one of her students because it “warms [her] heart.”
    Ms. Tedford may seem quiet and shy but she is really bubbly, happy person that has a strong passion for dance because she can express herself through it. Take the time and get to know your teachers, you may never know who they truly are—until you ask.
    phuynh

Q&A with Ms. Tedford Empty Re: Q&A with Ms. Tedford

Post  phuynh Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:25 pm

Instructor of dance, perfectionist of ballet, muse of jazz, tap sensation; who could this be? None other than Arcadia High’s very own Ms. Liza Tedford. She is known around campus as the dance teacher who is also the advisor of the Orchesis Dance Company. There is much more to her tan what meets the eye. This interview may help to get to know the true, Ms. Tedford.

Q: When did you first start dancing?
    A: I started my formal training at age 6 in a dance studio in Northern California. I took ballet, jazz, and tap. I also did a lot of musical theater.

Q: What kind of dance do you favor?
    A: As a young girl my focus was on Ballet. I was in a regional ballet company for 9 years. As I got older I began to focus more on Jazz. In college I fell in love with modern. I don't necessarily favor one over another. I love all forms of dance, some a little more than others and it changes over time and with exposure.

Q: Did you always want to be a dancer?
    A: I don't remember a time that I didn't want to be a dancer. It has always been what I saw as the focus of my future. I need dancing like I need food.

Q: Where are some of the places that you have performed; anywhere popular or with someone famous?
    A: I have danced in a lot of different cities and countries. I really enjoyed my time dancing with the NBA's Los Angeles Clipper Girls. I met lots of famous people there but they weren't what was so fun about it. It was the size and energy of the audience. My fellow dancers were very good and became some of my best friends. We worked with the best choreographers around. To be quite honest fame generally turns people into unkind and dismissive twerps. It was shocking how badly they behaved and how little respect most of them have for their fellow humans. Billy Crystal was at almost every game. He was always pleasant and nice but most people just don't want to be bothered. Magic was super cool but he was definitely a "player". Bill Walton, who was one of the TV announcers at the time, was always kind and humble; amazing for a man with such a great athletic history.
    Q: What is your favorite part of dancing?
    A: To me dancing is when I feel the most free. I can be anyone, be anywhere, and do anything. It feels uncomplicated.

Q: Do your dancers that start at dancing beginners make their way up? If so do you have a feeling of accomplishment and pride when you see them better themselves?
    A: I have had many dancers go from beginning dance into Orchesis Dance Company. I love to watch the development. It is exciting to find untapped talent but also to see kids free themselves of self criticism and just dance! That's what is so great about dancing- everybody can dance. It may not look like what you see on "So You Think You Can Dance" but that is not the point. It is to enjoy moving anywhere or anytime.

Q: Is there something you constantly advise your students to do?
    A: I think I ask them to just go for it. If you make a mistake it better be a big one. Take the risk and find out what you can do. Mistakes are part of learning. You brush yourself off, learn from your mistake and move on. Now that's learning.

Q: After your students graduate, do you still keep in touch with them?
    A: Yes! Lots of them email me and update me on their lives. Many of them come to the dance productions here at the high school. I got lots of invites to come watch them perform in college and beyond. I even got to go and see one of my dancers perform at Carnegie Hall in New York. I just went to the Britney Spears concert a couple weeks ago to see Jia Huang who was one of the back up dancers. I love hearing from all of them. It warms my heart!

Q: Do you have a favorite quote? If so what is it?
    A: This changes a lot but I think right now I love "Whoever says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain!”

Q: Have you ever experienced anything bizarre or funny during the times you teach?
    A: Uh yeah, almost every day. I'm pretty bizarre and funny so there you go.

Ms. Tedford may seem quiet and hard to relate to but she is really bubbly, happy person that is easy to be relatable that has a strong passion for dance because she can express herself through it. Take the time and get to know your teachers, you may never know who they truly are—until you ask.

can i add some of the things to her answers? like saying who jia huang is. i already made her quotes gramatically correct.
    nancyxiao

Post  nancyxiao Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:59 am

Instructor of dance, perfectionist of ballet, muse of jazz, tap sensation; who could this be? None other than Arcadia High’s very own Ms. Liza Tedford. She is known around campus as the dance teacher who is also the advisor of the [delete] Orchesis Dance Company. There is much more to her tan [than] what meets the eye. This interview may help to get to know the true, Ms. Tedford. [combine these two sentences]

A: I started my formal training at age 6 in a dance studio in Northern California. I took ballet, jazz, and tap. I also did a lot of musical theater.

A: As a young girl my focus was on Ballet. I was in a regional ballet company for 9 years. As I got older I began to focus more on Jazz. In college I fell in love with modern. I don't necessarily favor one over another. I love all forms of dance, some a little more than others and it changes over time and with exposure.

A: I don't remember a time that I didn't want to be a dancer. It has always been what I saw as the focus of my future. I need dancing like I need food.

Q: Where are some of the places that you have performed; anywhere popular or with someone famous?
    A: I have danced in a lot of different cities and countries. I really enjoyed my time dancing with the NBA's Los Angeles Clipper Girls. I met lots of famous people there but they weren't what was so fun about it. [awkward] It was the size and energy of the audience. My fellow dancers were very good and became some of my best friends. We worked with the best choreographers around. To be quite honest [insert comma] fame generally turns people into unkind and dismissive twerps. It was shocking how badly they behaved and how little respect most of them have for their fellow humans. Billy Crystal was at almost every game. He was always pleasant and nice but most people just don't want to be bothered. Magic was super cool but he was definitely a "player". Bill Walton, who was one of the TV announcers at the time, was always kind and humble; amazing for a man with such a great athletic history.
    [new paragraph]
    A: To me [insert comma] dancing is when I feel the most free. I can be anyone, be anywhere, and do anything. It feels uncomplicated.

Q: Do your dancers that start at dancing beginners make their way up? [awkward] If so do you have a feeling of accomplishment and pride when you see them better themselves?
    A: I have had many dancers go from beginning dance into Orchesis Dance Company. I love to watch the development. It is exciting to find untapped talent but also to see kids free themselves of self criticism and just dance! That's what is so great about dancing- everybody can dance. It may not look like what you see on "So You Think You Can Dance" but that is not the point. It is to enjoy moving anywhere or anytime.

A: I think I ask them to just go for it. If you make a mistake it better be a big one. Take the risk and find out what you can do. Mistakes are part of learning. You brush yourself off, learn from your mistake and move on. Now that's learning.

A: Yes! Lots of them email me and update me on their lives. Many of them come to the dance productions here at the high school. I got lots of invites to come watch them perform in college and beyond. I even got to go and see one of my dancers perform at Carnegie Hall in New York. I just went to the Britney Spears concert a couple weeks ago to see Jia Huang who was one of the back up dancers. I love hearing from all of them. It warms my heart!

Q: Do you have a favorite quote? If so what is it?
    A: This changes a lot but I think right now I love "Whoever says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain!”

Q: Have you ever experienced anything bizarre or funny during the times you teach?

Ms. Tedford may seem quiet and hard to relate to but she is really bubbly, happy person that is easy to be relatable that has a strong passion for dance because she can express herself through it. Take the time and get to know your teachers, you may never know who they truly are—until you ask.

can i add some of the things to her answers? like saying who jia huang is. i already made her quotes gramatically correct.

[SORRY I'M NOT DONE BUT THE BELL IS ABOUT TO RING, WILL CONTINUE LATER Very Happy]
    nancyxiao

Post  nancyxiao Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:39 pm

Instructor of dance, perfectionist of ballet, muse of jazz, tap sensation; who could this be? None other than Arcadia High’s very own Ms. Liza Tedford. She is known around campus as the dance teacher who is also the advisor of the [delete] Orchesis Dance Company. There is much more to her tan [than] what meets the eye. This interview may help to get to know the true, Ms. Tedford. [combine these two sentences]

A: I have danced in a lot of different cities and countries. I really enjoyed my time dancing with the NBA's Los Angeles Clipper Girls. I met lots of famous people there but they weren't what was so fun about it. [awkward] It was the size and energy of the audience. My fellow dancers were very good and became some of my best friends. We worked with the best choreographers around. To be quite honest [insert comma] fame generally turns people into unkind and dismissive twerps. It was shocking how badly they behaved and how little respect most of them have for their fellow humans. Billy Crystal was at almost every game. He was always pleasant and nice but most people just don't want to be bothered. Magic was super cool but he was definitely a "player". Bill Walton, who was one of the TV announcers at the time, was always kind and humble; amazing for a man with such a great athletic history.
    [new paragraph]
    A: To me [insert comma] dancing is when I feel the most free. I can be anyone, be anywhere, and do anything. It feels uncomplicated.

Q: Do your dancers that start at dancing beginners make their way up? [awkward] If so [insert comma] do you have a feeling of accomplishment and pride when you see them better themselves?

Q: Do you have a favorite quote? If so what is it? [combine]

Ms. Tedford may seem quiet and hard to relate to but she is really [insert "a"] bubbly, happy person that [who] is easy to be relatable that has a strong passion for dance [awkward] because she can express herself through it. Take the time and get to know your teachers, you may never know who they truly are—until you ask.

can i add some of the things to her answers? like saying who jia huang is. i already made her quotes gramatically correct. [sure. i think the best way, though, is to email Mrs. Tedford and ask her for an explanation. that way you can just quote her. i really like you article and the ending is very cute!]
    phuynh

Post  phuynh Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:05 pm

Instructor of dance, perfectionist of ballet, muse of jazz, tap sensation; who could this be? None other than Arcadia High’s very own Ms. Liza Tedford. She is known around campus as the dance teacher who is also the advisor of Orchesis Dance Company. There is much more to her than what meets the eye and this interview may help to get to know the true, Ms. Tedford.

A: I have danced in a lot of different cities and countries. I really enjoyed my time dancing with the NBA's Los Angeles Clipper Girls. I met lots of famous people there but meetiing celebrities wasn't the thing that I enjoyed most. It was the size and energy of the audience. My fellow dancers were very good and became some of my best friends. We worked with the best choreographers around. To be quite honest, fame generally turns people into unkind and dismissive twerps. It was shocking how badly they behaved and how little respect most of them have for their fellow humans. Billy Crystal was at almost every game. He was always pleasant and nice but most people just don't want to be bothered. Magic was super cool but he was definitely a "player". Bill Walton, who was one of the TV announcers at the time, was always kind and humble; amazing for a man with such a great athletic history.

A: To me dancing is when I feel the most free. I can be anyone, be anywhere, and do anything. It feels uncomplicated.

Q: Do most of yuor dancers that start out at Beginner's Dance work their way up to Orchesis Dance Company? If so, do you have a feeling of accomplishment and pride when you see them better themselves?

Q: Do you have a favorite quote, if so what is it?

Ms. Tedford may seem quiet and hard to relate to but she is really a bubbly, happy person that just has a strong passion for dance because she can express herself through it. Take the time and get to know your teachers, you may never know who they truly are—until you ask.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content