The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

2 posters

Q & A Tedford and Landes

eileenchow

Q & A Tedford and Landes Empty Q & A Tedford and Landes

Post  eileenchow Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:31 pm

I merged mine and Pamela's articles together since I was asked to by Sammi and Melissa. I also combined/ wrote the intro and conclusion together.
    Instructor of dance, perfectionist of ballet, muse of jazz, tap sensation; who could this be? None other than Arcadia High’s very own Ms. Liza Tedford. She is known around campus as the dance teacher who is also the advisor of the well-known Orchesis Dance Company. Many of us only know him as the tall, “hard-to-miss” band teacher. However, not only is Mr. Tom Landes the instructor of bands, 1, 2, and 3, he is also the motivational drive behind AHS’ award-winning marching band. There is much more than meets the eye when it comes to these two phenomenal teachers. The following interviews with Ms. Tedford and Mr. Landes will plunge you into their own lives so that you may learn all about their true selves.

Interview with Ms. Tedford

Q: When did you first start dancing?
    A: I started my formal training at age 6 in a dance studio in Northern California. I took ballet, jazz, and tap. I also did a lot of musical theater.

Q: What kind of dance do you favor?
    A: As a young girl my focus was on Ballet. I was in a regional ballet company for 9 years. As I got older I began to focus more on Jazz. In college I fell in love with modern. I don't necessarily favor one over another. I love all forms of dance, some a little more than others and it changes over time and with exposure.

Q: Did you always want to be a dancer?
    A: I don't remember a time that I didn't want to be a dancer. It has always been what I saw as the focus of my future. I need dancing like I need food.

Q: Where are some of the places that you have performed; anywhere popular or with someone famous?
    A: I have danced in a lot of different cities and countries. I really enjoyed my time dancing with the NBA's Los Angeles Clipper Girls. I met lots of famous people there but they weren't what was so fun about it. It was the size and energy of the audience. My fellow dancers were very good and became some of my best friends. We worked with the best choreographers around. To be quite honest fame generally turns people into unkind and dismissive twerps. It was shocking how badly they behaved and how little respect most of them have for their fellow humans. Billy Crystal was at almost every game. He was always pleasant and nice but most people just don't want to be bothered. Magic was super cool but he was definitely a "player". Bill Walton, who was one of the TV announcers at the time, was always kind and humble; amazing for a man with such a great athletic history.

Q: What is your favorite part of dancing?
    A: To me dancing is when I feel the most free. I can be anyone, be anywhere, and do anything. It feels uncomplicated.

Q: Do your dancers that start at dancing beginners make their way up? If so do you have a feeling of accomplishment and pride when you see them better themselves?
    A: I have had many dancers go from beginning dance into Orchesis Dance Company. I love to watch the development. It is exciting to find untapped talent but also to see kids free themselves of self criticism and just dance! That's what is so great about dancing- everybody can dance. It may not look like what you see on "So You Think You Can Dance" but that is not the point. It is to enjoy moving anywhere or anytime.

Q: Is there something you constantly advise your students to do?
    A: I think I ask them to just go for it. If you make a mistake it better be a big one. Take the risk and find out what you can do. Mistakes are part of learning. You brush yourself off, learn from your mistake and move on. Now that's learning.

Q: After your students graduate, do you still keep in touch with them?
    A: Yes! Lots of them email me and update me on their lives. Many of them come to the dance productions here at the high school. I got lots of invites to come watch them perform in college and beyond. I even got to go and see one of my dancers perform at Carnegie Hall in New York. I just went to the Britney Spears concert a couple weeks ago to see Jia Huang who was one of the back up dancers. I love hearing from all of them. It warms my heart!

Q: Do you have a favorite quote? If so what is it?
    A: This changes a lot but I think right now I love "Whoever says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain!”

Q: Have you ever experienced anything bizarre or funny during the times you teach?
    A: Uh yeah, almost every day. I'm pretty bizarre and funny so there you go.

Interview with Mr. Landes

Q: First of, please tell me a little background information about yourself.
    A: I graduated at Azusa High School, and got my BA (Bachelor of Arts) at Pacific University and my Masters from Southern Oregon University. I taught 5 years at Azusa High, where I graduated from and 31 years at Arcadia High.

Q: Did you participate in band during high school?
    A: I was a trumpet player in band. I loved being a member of band; band was my favorite.

Q: Did you have any other extracurricular activities other than band?
    A: My second most favorite activity in high school was sports. Basketball was a personal favorite; I made the basketball team in my sophomore year and played through high school and college.

Q: What inspired you to first teach band?
    A: The Azusa High school had good teachers in public education and that I had a great high school experience in band. I felt that if it was so good for me, I should make band a good experience for others.

Q: What is your daily schedule?
    A: I have marching band for first period, Band 2 Woodwinds for period 3, Band 3, the top band group, period 3, a conference period during fourth period, Band 2 Brass for period 5 and Band 1, the freshmen band, during sixth period.

Q: What do you feel about the relationship between you and your students?
    A: I feel that we have a pretty good relationship. The students trust me to take them in the right direction. When people trust you, there’s a strong level of commitment. I try to use humor. I don’t want everything to be formalized.

Q: How do you encourage your students to improve?
    A: We talk about what our best is, what it takes to be the best, and view everything else against that image of what “best is like. When we do this, we make progress and improve.

Q: What do you feel is the best part of teaching band?
    A: Students are the very best part of band. Every class consists of a bunch of different people and personalities, all working together for common goal. It is a unique experience since there are few things more valuable than a team. A team can be the band, the family, or the church; there are all kinds of teams but the impact and dynamics of all teams are unique and special.

Q: What is your favorite instrument and why?
    A: Being a brass player I like all brass instruments, from the brilliance of trumpets, heroism of French horns, power of low brass; they all produce unmistakable sounds.

Q: What is your favorite quote?
    A: Do onto others as you will have others do onto you.
    Q: What is your fondest memory when you went to high school?
    A: I remember a basketball game I played in. During that game I scored over 20 points, had 8-9 rebounds, and blocked 3 shots.

Q: What animal do you choose to best represent your personality?
    A: A Saint Bernard dog because it cares about people and are willing to put themselves aside to rescue people who needs help.

Ms. Tedford may seem quiet and hard to relate to but in actuality, she is a really bubbly, happy person that can be easily related to. Despite his tall, intimidating size, Mr. Landes is a compassionate, open person that one can easily talk to. Take the time and get to know your teachers; you may never know who they truly are—until you ask.
    nancyxiao

Q & A Tedford and Landes Empty Re: Q & A Tedford and Landes

Post  nancyxiao Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:30 am

I merged mine and Pamela's articles together since I was asked to by Sammi and Melissa. I also combined/ wrote the intro and conclusion together. [i won't copy edit Pamela's article on here, if you guys are going to collaborate again, take a look at the copy editing notes on her article]
    Instructor of dance, perfectionist of ballet, muse of jazz, tap sensation; who could this be? None other than Arcadia High’s very own Ms. Liza Tedford. She is known around campus as the dance teacher who is also the advisor of the well-known Orchesis Dance Company. Many of us only know him as the tall, “hard-to-miss” band teacher. However, not only is Mr. Tom Landes the instructor of bands, 1, 2, and 3, he is also the motivational drive behind AHS’ award-winning marching band. There is much more than meets the eye when it comes to these two phenomenal teachers. The following interviews with Ms. Tedford and Mr. Landes will plunge you into their own lives so that you may learn all about their true selves. [awkward---how about just something simple like "help you gain some insight into their...]

A: I started my formal training at age 6 in a dance studio in Northern California. I took ballet, jazz, and tap. I also did a lot of musical theater.

A: As a young girl my focus was on Ballet. I was in a regional ballet company for 9 years. As I got older I began to focus more on Jazz. In college I fell in love with modern. I don't necessarily favor one over another. I love all forms of dance, some a little more than others and it changes over time and with exposure.

A: I don't remember a time that I didn't want to be a dancer. It has always been what I saw as the focus of my future. I need dancing like I need food.

Q: Where are some of the places that you have performed; anywhere popular or with someone famous?
    A: I have danced in a lot of different cities and countries. I really enjoyed my time dancing with the NBA's Los Angeles Clipper Girls. I met lots of famous people there but they weren't what was so fun about it. It was the size and energy of the audience. My fellow dancers were very good and became some of my best friends. We worked with the best choreographers around. To be quite honest fame generally turns people into unkind and dismissive twerps. It was shocking how badly they behaved and how little respect most of them have for their fellow humans. Billy Crystal was at almost every game. He was always pleasant and nice but most people just don't want to be bothered. Magic was super cool but he was definitely a "player". Bill Walton, who was one of the TV announcers at the time, was always kind and humble; amazing for a man with such a great athletic history.

A: To me dancing is when I feel the most free. I can be anyone, be anywhere, and do anything. It feels uncomplicated.

Q: Do your dancers that start at dancing beginners make their way up? If so do you have a feeling of accomplishment and pride when you see them better themselves?
    A: I have had many dancers go from beginning dance into Orchesis Dance Company. I love to watch the development. It is exciting to find untapped talent but also to see kids free themselves of self criticism and just dance! That's what is so great about dancing- everybody can dance. It may not look like what you see on "So You Think You Can Dance" but that is not the point. It is to enjoy moving anywhere or anytime.

A: I think I ask them to just go for it. If you make a mistake it better be a big one. Take the risk and find out what you can do. Mistakes are part of learning. You brush yourself off, learn from your mistake and move on. Now that's learning.

A: Yes! Lots of them email me and update me on their lives. Many of them come to the dance productions here at the high school. I got lots of invites to come watch them perform in college and beyond. I even got to go and see one of my dancers perform at Carnegie Hall in New York. I just went to the Britney Spears concert a couple weeks ago to see Jia Huang who was one of the back up dancers. I love hearing from all of them. It warms my heart!

Q: Do you have a favorite quote? If so what is it?
    A: This changes a lot but I think right now I love "Whoever says sunshine brings happiness has never danced in the rain!”

Q: Have you ever experienced anything bizarre or funny during the times you teach?

Q: First of [either say "First off" or "First of all"], please tell me a little background information about yourself.
    A: I graduated at Azusa High School, and got my BA (Bachelor of Arts) at Pacific University and my Masters from Southern Oregon University. I taught 5 years at Azusa High, where I graduated from [insert comma] and 31 years at Arcadia High.

A: I was a trumpet player in band. I loved being a member of band; band was my favorite.

A: My second most favorite activity in high school was sports. Basketball was a personal favorite; I made the basketball team in my sophomore year and played through high school and college.

A: The Azusa High school had good teachers in public education and [the fact] that I had a great high school experience in band. I felt that if it was so good for me, I should make band a good experience for others.

A: I have marching band for first period, Band 2 Woodwinds for period 3, Band 3, the top band group, period 3, a conference period during fourth period, Band 2 Brass for period 5 and Band 1, the freshmen band, during sixth period. [fix commas]]

Q: What [How] do you feel about the relationship between you and your students?
    A: I feel that we have a pretty good relationship. The students trust me to take them in the right direction. When people trust you, there’s a strong level of commitment. I try to use humor. I don’t want everything to be formalized.

A: We talk about what our best is, what it takes to be the best, and view everything else against that image of what “[delete quotation mark] best is like. When we do this, we make progress and improve.

A: Students are the very best part of band. Every class consists of a bunch of different people and personalities, all working together for [insert "a"] common goal. It is a unique experience since there are few things more valuable than a team. A team can be the band, the family, or the church; there are all kinds of teams but the impact and dynamics of all teams are unique and special.

A: Being a brass player I like all brass instruments, from the brilliance of trumpets, heroism of French horns, power of low brass; they all produce unmistakable sounds.

[new paragraph]
    Q: What is your fondest memory when you went to [of] high school?
    A: I remember a basketball game I played in. During that game I scored over 20 points, had 8-9 rebounds, and blocked 3 shots.

A: A Saint Bernard dog because it cares about people and are[is] willing to put themselves[himself] aside to rescue people who needs [need] help.

Ms. Tedford may seem quiet and hard to relate to but in actuality, she is a really bubbly, happy person that can be easily related to. [the "easily related to" sounds repetitive] Despite his tall, intimidating size, Mr. Landes is a compassionate, open person that one can easily talk to. Take the time and get to know your teachers; you may never know who they truly are—until you ask.
    eileenchow

Q & A Tedford and Landes Empty Q & A Tedford & Landes

Post  eileenchow Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:01 pm

Instructor of dance, perfectionist of ballet, muse of jazz, tap sensation; who could this be? None other than Arcadia High’s very own Ms. Liza Tedford. She is known around campus as the dance teacher who is also the advisor of the well-known Orchesis Dance Company. Many of us only know him as the tall, “hard-to-miss” band teacher. However, not only is Mr. Tom Landes the instructor of bands, 1, 2, and 3, he is also the motivational drive behind AHS’ award-winning marching band. There is much more than meets the eye when it comes to these two phenomenal teachers. The following interviews with Ms. Tedford and Mr. Landes will help you gain some insight about their lives.

A: I have danced in a lot of different cities and countries. I really enjoyed my time dancing with the NBA's Los Angeles Clipper Girls. I met lots of famous people there but they weren't [the reason why it was] so fun. It was the size and energy of the audience. My fellow dancers were very good and became some of my best friends. We worked with the best choreographers around. To be quite honest, fame generally turns people into unkind and dismissive twerps. It was shocking how badly they behaved and how little respect most of them have for their fellow humans. Billy Crystal was at almost every game. He was always pleasant and nice but most people just don't want to be bothered. Magic was super cool but he was definitely a "player". Bill Walton, who was one of the TV announcers at the time, was always kind and humble; amazing for a man with such a great athletic history.

A: To me, dancing is when I feel the most free. I can be anyone, be anywhere, and do anything. It feels uncomplicated.

Q: Do the dancers that start at your beginning class make their way up? If so, do you have a feeling of accomplishment and pride when you see them better themselves?

Q: Do you have a favorite quote; if so what is it?

Q: First off, please tell me a little background information about yourself.
    A: I graduated at Azusa High School, and got my BA (Bachelor of Arts) at Pacific University and my Masters from Southern Oregon University. I taught 5 years at Azusa High, where I graduated from, and 31 years at Arcadia High.

A: The Azusa High school had good teachers in public education and [the fact] that I had a great high school experience in band. I felt that if it was so good for me, I should make band a good experience for others.

A: I have marching band for first period, Band 2 Woodwinds for period 3, Band 3—the top band group—period 3, a conference period during fourth period, Band 2 Brass for period 5 and Band 1—the freshmen band—during sixth period.

Q: How do you feel about the relationship between you and your students?

A: We talk about what our best is, what it takes to be the best, and view everything else against that image of what best is like. When we do this, we make progress and improve.

A: Students are the very best part of band. Every class consists of a bunch of different people and personalities, all working together for [a] common goal. It is a unique experience since there are few things more valuable than a team. A team can be the band, the family, or the church; there are all kinds of teams but the impact and dynamics of all teams are unique and special.

Q: What is your fondest memory of high school?

A: A Saint Bernard dog because it cares about people and [is] willing to put [himself] aside to rescue people who [need] help.

Ms. Tedford may seem quiet and hard to connect with but in actuality, she is a really bubbly, happy person who can be easily related to through her strong passion of dance. Despite his tall, intimidating size, Mr. Landes is a compassionate, open person that one can easily talk to. Take the time and get to know your teachers; you may never know who they truly are—until you ask.
    eileenchow

Post  eileenchow Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:23 am

Instructor of dance, perfectionist of ballet, muse of jazz, tap sensation; who could this be? None other than Arcadia High’s very own Ms. Liza Tedford. She is known around campus as the dance teacher who is also the advisor of the well-known Orchesis Dance Company. Many of us only know him as the tall, “hard-to-miss” band teacher. However, not only is Mr. Tom Landes the instructor of bands, 1, 2, and 3, he is also the motivational drive behind AHS’ award-winning marching band. There is much more than meets the eye when it comes to these two phenomenal teachers. The following interviews with Ms. Tedford and Mr. Landes will help you gain some insight about their lives.

A: I have danced in a lot of different cities and countries. I really enjoyed my time dancing with the NBA's Los Angeles Clipper Girls. I met lots of famous people there but meeting celebrities wasn't the thing that I enjoyed most. It was the size and energy of the audience. My fellow dancers were very good and became some of my best friends. We worked with the best choreographers around. To be quite honest, fame generally turns people into unkind and dismissive twerps. It was shocking how badly they behaved and how little respect most of them have for their fellow humans. Billy Crystal was at almost every game. He was always pleasant and nice but most people just don't want to be bothered. Magic was super cool but he was definitely a "player". Bill Walton, who was one of the TV announcers at the time, was always kind and humble; amazing for a man with such a great athletic history.

A: To me, dancing is when I feel the most free. I can be anyone, be anywhere, and do anything. It feels uncomplicated.

Q: Do the dancers that start at your beginning class work their way up to Orchesis Dance Company? If so, do you have a feeling of accomplishment and pride when you see them better themselves?

A: I graduated at Azusa High School, and got my BA (Bachelor of Arts) at Pacific University and my Masters from Southern Oregon University. I taught 5 years at Azusa High, where I graduated from, and 31 years at Arcadia High.

A: I have marching band for first period, Band 2 Woodwinds for period 3, Band 3—the top band group—period 3, a conference period during fourth period, Band 2 Brass for period 5 and Band 1—the freshmen band—during sixth period.

A: We talk about what our best is, what it takes to be the best, and view everything else against that image of what best is like. When we do this, we make progress and improve.

A: Students are the very best part of band. Every class consists of a bunch of different people and personalities, all working together for [a] common goal. It is a unique experience since there are few things more valuable than a team. A team can be the band, the family, or the church; there are all kinds of teams but the impact and dynamics of all teams are unique and special.

A: A Saint Bernard dog because it cares about people and [is] willing to put [himself] aside to rescue people who [need] help.

Ms. Tedford may seem quiet and hard to connect with but in actuality, she is a really bubbly, happy person who can be easily related to through her strong passion of dance. Despite his tall, intimidating size, Mr. Landes is a compassionate, open person that one can easily talk to. Take the time and get to know your teachers; you may never know who they truly are—until you ask.
    eileenchow

Post  eileenchow Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:56 am

i made a correction: Mr. Landes graduated at AZUSA pacific university. he emailed me the correction

A: I have danced in a lot of different cities and countries. I really enjoyed my time dancing with the NBA's Los Angeles Clipper Girls. I met lots of famous people there but meeting celebrities wasn't the thing that I enjoyed most. It was the size and energy of the audience. My fellow dancers were very good and became some of my best friends. We worked with the best choreographers around. To be quite honest, fame generally turns people into unkind and dismissive twerps. It was shocking how badly they behaved and how little respect most of them have for their fellow humans. Billy Crystal was at almost every game. He was always pleasant and nice but most people just don't want to be bothered. Magic was super cool but he was definitely a "player". Bill Walton, who was one of the TV announcers at the time, was always kind and humble; amazing for a man with such a great athletic history.

Q: Do the dancers that start at your beginning class work their way up to Orchesis Dance Company? If so, do you have a feeling of accomplishment and pride when you see them better themselves?

A: I graduated at Azusa High School, and got my BA (Bachelor of Arts) at Azusa Pacific University and my Masters from Southern Oregon University. I taught 5 years at Azusa High, where I graduated from, and 31 years at Arcadia High.

Sponsored content

Q & A Tedford and Landes Empty Re: Q & A Tedford and Landes

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:05 pm