The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

2 posters

Captain Profile - Pallavi Bugga

oisheeshemontee

Captain Profile - Pallavi Bugga Empty Captain Profile - Pallavi Bugga

Post  oisheeshemontee Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:37 pm

I haven't got a picture yet - I'll get it this week in school. And the blanks are for missing info - I'm going to email her and ask for more details.

Even the best students in AHS usually content themselves with one, maybe two academic teams. How can we hope to survive the added pressure anything else presents, on top of our already-too-hectic lives? Well, senior Pallavi Bugga proves that it can be done. As co-captain of both Science Olympiad (SO) and Math Team, with seniors Eddie Xue and Sam Wang respectively, as well as a member of Constitution Team and Orchestra 3, she juggles her schedule with a skill admirable to behold.
    As an academic captain of both Math Team and SO, Pallavi’s duties for both are similar. On top of regular practice that all team members must do, Pallavi is also responsible for handling behind-the-scenes clerical duties that general members rarely have to worry about. “It's a lot of administrative work, in that we have to write tryouts, grade papers, organize how each meeting is run, decide what to focus on each week, and get general team things in order”, she explained. “The planning and preparation take a bit of time, but it’s by all means manageable… On average it takes about 7-8 hours [out of my week] for both Math Team and SO.”
    Constitution Team, led by adviser Mr. Fox, also plays a big role in Pallavi’s life. In a team that focuses on learning about American democracy, Pallavi is specifically involved in Unit 5, whose members are studying the purpose and significance of the Bill of Rights. “The team is super fun, and it gives us incredible knowledge base and awareness of how our political system works”, she enthused.
    A girl of many talents, Pallavi polishes up her musical talents in Orchestra 3. As part of the orchestra council, a leadership group in Orchestra, she holds the post of Gig Coordinator, along with Kristi Tseng. They are in charge of coordinating chamber groups and music shows outside of Orchestra, and so far have planned ______________
    If all this isn’t impressive enough, Pallavi is also enrolled in four AP classes – English, Statistics, Government (Constitution Team) and Physics.
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy – but Pallavi is still shining bright. Outside of school, she enjoys music in all of its various forms – both dancing and singing. “I have a continuous playlist of songs that I hum to myself”, she shared cheerfully. She has also been learning the classical Indian dance of ________ since she was ___. Like any other teenager, Pallavi also loves watching TV, especially The Office. Her favorite movies include the 2002 Mandy Moore romance A Walk to Remember, and 2008 Oscar-winner Slumdog Millionaire.
    Pallavi attributes a large amount of her success in school to her family, who has always encouraged her unique enthusiasm for academics. “Seeing my brother do well through his high school and college career made me want to be able to catch up to him. i guess whatever I do I want to make my parents proud, and that's definitely been a significant source of my motivation.”
    ashleychi

Captain Profile - Pallavi Bugga Empty Re: Captain Profile - Pallavi Bugga

Post  ashleychi Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:45 pm

EDIT 1

Even the best students in AHS usually content themselves [change to 'are content'] with one, maybe two academic teams. How can we hope to survive the added pressure anything else presents, on top of our already-too-hectic lives? Well, senior Pallavi Bugga proves that it can be done. As co-captain of both Science Olympiad (SO) and Math Team, with seniors Eddie Xue and Sam Wang respectively, as well as a member of Constitution Team and Orchestra 3, she juggles her schedule with a skill admirable to behold.
    As an academic captain of both Math Team and SO, Pallavi’s duties for both are similar. On top of regular practice that all team members must do, Pallavi is also responsible for handling behind-the-scenes clerical duties that general members rarely have to worry about. “It's a lot of administrative work, in that we have to write tryouts, grade papers, organize how each meeting is run, decide what to focus on each week, and get general team things in order”, [...in order,"] she explained. “The planning and preparation take [takes] a bit of time, but it’s by all means manageable… On average it takes about 7-8 hours [out of my week] for both Math Team and SO.”
    Constitution Team, led by adviser Mr. Fox, also plays a big role in Pallavi’s life. In a team [change to 'As part of a team'] that focuses on learning about American democracy, Pallavi is specifically involved in Unit 5, whose members are studying the purpose and significance of the Bill of Rights. “The team is super fun, and it gives us incredible knowledge base and awareness of how our political system works”, she enthused.
    A girl of many talents, Pallavi polishes up her musical talents in Orchestra 3. As part of the orchestra council, a leadership group in Orchestra, she holds the post of Gig Coordinator, along with Kristi Tseng. They are in charge of coordinating chamber groups and music shows outside of Orchestra, and so far have planned ______________
    If all this isn’t impressive enough, Pallavi is also enrolled in four AP classes – English, Statistics, Government (Constitution Team) and Physics.
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy – but Pallavi is still shining bright. Outside of school, she enjoys music in all of its various forms – both dancing and singing. “I have a continuous playlist of songs that I hum to myself”, she shared cheerfully. She has also been learning the classical Indian dance of ________ since she was ___. Like any other teenager, Pallavi also loves watching TV, especially The Office. Her favorite movies include the 2002 Mandy Moore romance A Walk to Remember, and 2008 Oscar-winner Slumdog Millionaire.
    Pallavi attributes a large amount of her success in school to her family, who has always encouraged her unique enthusiasm for academics. “Seeing my brother do well through his high school and college career made me want to be able to catch up to him. i [capitalize] guess whatever I do I want to make my parents proud, and that's definitely been a significant source of my motivation.”
    oisheeshemontee

Post  oisheeshemontee Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:13 pm

This article is probably going to undergo a radical change in the next day or two, because I have to refocus it on her duties as an academic captain, and less on her other stuff.

Even the best students in AHS are usually content with one, maybe two academic teams. How can we hope to survive the added pressure anything else presents, on top of our already-too-hectic lives? Well, senior Pallavi Bugga proves that it can be done. As co-captain of both Science Olympiad (SO) and Math Team, with seniors Eddie Xue and Sam Wang respectively, as well as a member of Constitution Team and Orchestra 3, she juggles her schedule with a skill admirable to behold.
    As an academic captain of both Math Team and SO, Pallavi’s duties for both are similar. On top of regular practice that all team members must do, Pallavi is also responsible for handling behind-the-scenes clerical duties that general members rarely have to worry about. “It's a lot of administrative work, in that we have to write tryouts, grade papers, organize how each meeting is run, decide what to focus on each week, and get general team things in order," she explained. “The planning and preparation takes a bit of time, but it’s by all means manageable…on average it takes about 7-8 hours [out of my week] for both Math Team and SO.”
    Constitution Team, led by adviser Mr. Fox, also plays a big role in Pallavi’s life. As part of a team that focuses on learning about American democracy, Pallavi is specifically involved in Unit 5, whose members are studying the purpose and significance of the Bill of Rights. “The team is super fun, and it gives us incredible knowledge base and awareness of how our political system works”, she enthused.
    A girl of many talents, Pallavi polishes up her musical talents in Orchestra 3. As part of the orchestra council, a leadership group in Orchestra, she holds the post of Gig Coordinator, along with Kristi Tseng. They are in charge of coordinating chamber groups and music shows outside of Orchestra, and are working together to plan events llike the potluck dinner and benefit dinner later this year.
    If all this isn’t impressive enough, Pallavi is also enrolled in four AP classes – English, Statistics, Government (Constitution Team) and Physics C
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy – but Pallavi is still shining bright. Outside of school, she enjoys music in all of its various forms – both dancing and singing. “I have a continuous playlist of songs that I hum to myself”, she shared cheerfully. She has also been learning the classical Indian dance of Kuchipudi since she was seven. Like any other teenager, Pallavi also loves watching TV, especially The Office. Her favorite movies include the 2002 Mandy Moore romance A Walk to Remember, and 2008 Oscar-winner Slumdog Millionaire.
    Pallavi attributes a large amount of her success in school to her family, who has always encouraged her unique enthusiasm for academics. “Seeing my brother do well through his high school and college career made me want to be able to catch up to him. I guess whatever I do I want to make my parents proud, and that's definitely been a significant source of my motivation.”
    oisheeshemontee

Post  oisheeshemontee Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:32 pm

MAJOR CHANGES MADE!!

Even the best students in AHS are usually content with one, maybe two academic teams. How can we hope to survive the added pressure anything else presents, on top of our already-too-hectic lives? Well, senior Pallavi Bugga proves that it can be done. As co-captain of both Science Olympiad (SO) and Math Team, with seniors Eddie Xue and Sam Wang respectively, as well as a member of Constitution Team and Orchestra 3, she juggles her schedule with a skill admirable to behold.

As captain of both Math Team and SO, Pallavi’s duties involve twice as much clerical work as regular captains. This responsibility is often overlooked by regular members, but for a captain, is an ever-present worry. “It's a lot of administrative work, in that we have to write tryouts, grade papers, organize how each meeting is run, decide what to focus on each week, and get general team things in order," she explained. "I think part of being captain is being a few steps ahead of the team-knowing what to cover the next meeting, making sure all our forms are ready and stuff like that."

Although this goes for both teams, because of the logistic differences between Math Team and SO, her role as captain differs somewhat between the two. "For Math Team, the entire team usually works on the same topics and same events, and so in that sense Math Team requires perhaps a little less effort on part of the captain," Pallavi reasoned. On the other hand, Math Team does require their captains to understand the topics covered more thoroughly than the rest of the team. "The captains have to be prepared for the team to ask them for help. In my experiences last year, whenever we needed help on a problem... we could always trust the captains to show us how to do a problem." In an effort to help her team as best as she can, Pallavi always tries to "study a little bit extra so that I know I'll be able to help others whenever they need help."

The chain of command for SO is quite different. Since there are 18 different events to choose from in the testing team alone, the topics vary much more than Math Team's, making one-on-one coaching more difficult. Because of this, Pallavi and her co-captain Eddie Xue encourage members to first consult their event leaders before asking the captains. "One of the biggest things we have to do is making sure every event group is staying on task, and that they have all the materials they need for competition," Pallavi states about her duties as SO captain.

After her experiences captaining for two teams, Pallavi has developed a definite idea of the ideal captain. "The most important quality a captain should possess is patience and approachability. The team members should never be afraid to ask the captain a question, regardless of how trivial the question may seem. The captain is there to help the team, and make the team as good as it can be, and the best way that can happen is by ensuring that team has a good dynamic together."
    ashleychi

Post  ashleychi Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:12 am

EDIT 2

As captain of both Math Team and SO, Pallavi’s duties involve twice as much clerical work as regular captains. This responsibility is often overlooked by regular members, but for a captain, [insert 'it'] is an ever-present worry. “It's a lot of administrative work, in that we have to write tryouts, grade papers, organize how each meeting is run, decide what to focus on each week, and get general team things in order," she explained. "I think part of being captain is being a few steps ahead of the team-knowing what to cover the next meeting, making sure all our forms are ready and stuff like that."

Although this goes for both teams, because of the logistic differences between Math Team and SO, her role as captain differs somewhat between the two. "For Math Team, the entire team usually works on the same topics and same events, and [delete] so in that sense Math Team requires perhaps a little less effort on part of the captain," Pallavi reasoned. On the other hand, Math Team does require their captains to understand the topics covered more thoroughly than the rest of the team. "The captains have to be prepared for the team to ask them for help. In my experiences last year, whenever we needed help on a problem... we could always trust the captains to show us how to do a problem." In an effort to help her team as best as she can, Pallavi always tries to "study a little bit extra so that I know I'll be able to help others whenever they need help."

The chain of command for SO is quite different. Since there are 18 different events to choose from in the testing team alone, the topics vary much more than Math Team's, making one-on-one coaching more difficult. Because of this, Pallavi and her co-captain Eddie Xue encourage members to first consult their event leaders before asking the captains. "One of the biggest things we have to do is making sure every event group is staying on task, and that they have all the materials they need for competition," Pallavi states about her duties as SO captain.

After her experiences captaining for two teams, Pallavi has developed a definite idea of the ideal captain. "The most important quality a captain should possess is patience and approachability. The team members should never be afraid to ask the captain a question, regardless of how trivial the question may seem. The captain is there to help the team, and make the team as good as it can be, and the best way that can happen is by ensuring that team has a good dynamic together."
    oisheeshemontee

Captain Profile - Pallavi Bugga Empty Combined, Hopefully-final Version

Post  oisheeshemontee Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:08 am

Even the best students in AHS are usually content with one, maybe two academic teams. How can we hope to survive the added pressure anything else presents, on top of our already-too-hectic lives? Well, senior Pallavi Bugga proves that it can be done. As co-captain of both Science Olympiad (SO) and Math Team, with seniors Eddie Xue and Sam Wang respectively, as well as a member of Constitution Team, she juggles her schedule with a skill admirable to behold.

As captain of both Math Team and SO, Pallavi’s duties involve twice as much clerical work as regular captains. This responsibility is often overlooked by regular members, but for a captain, it is an ever-present worry. “It's a lot of administrative work, in that we have to write tryouts, grade papers, organize how each meeting is run, decide what to focus on each week, and get general team things in order," she explained. "I think part of being captain is being a few steps ahead of the team-knowing what to cover the next meeting, making sure all our forms are ready and stuff like that."

Although this goes for both teams, because of the logistic differences between Math Team and SO, her role as captain differs somewhat between the two. "For Math Team, the entire team usually works on the same topics and same events, so in that sense Math Team requires perhaps a little less effort on part of the captain," Pallavi reasoned. On the other hand, Math Team does require their captains to understand the topics covered more thoroughly than the rest of the team. "The captains have to be prepared for the team to ask them for help. In my experiences last year, whenever we needed help on a problem... we could always trust the captains to show us how to do a problem." In an effort to help her team as best as she can, Pallavi always tries to "study a little bit extra so that I know I'll be able to help others whenever they need help."

Handling two academic teams at once presents no problem at all to Pallavi, who is also a member of Constitution Team. As part of a team that focuses on learning about American democracy, Pallavi focuses specifically on studying the purpose and significance of the Bill of Rights with her fellow Unit 5 members. “The team is super fun, and it gives us incredible knowledge base and awareness of how our political system works”, she enthused.

Pallavi attributes a large amount of her success in school to her family, which has always encouraged her unique enthusiasm for academics. “Seeing my brother do well through his high school and college career made me want to be able to catch up to him. I guess whatever I do I want to make my parents proud, and that's definitely been a significant source of my motivation.”

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:54 pm