The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

2 posters

Thanksgiving

CoraOrmseth

Thanksgiving Empty Thanksgiving

Post  CoraOrmseth Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:50 pm

By the Opinion Staff

Nuria Mathog: As a habitual cynic, it behooves me to admit each November that life could, in fact, be considerably worse. Ultimately, though, I am thankful for my gift of common sense—and common senses. I may rant endlessly about the revolting displays of hallway PDA, but I’m secretly grateful for my vision; otherwise, I’d be stuck juggling numbers and variables around in my head, the graphing calculator I take for granted rendered utterly useless by my lack of sight. I may fly into a rage at the mere sound of snapped gum, but without hearing, I’d be deprived of all the necessary comforts of my iPod, not to mention the reassuring laughter that lets me know I’m not totally socially inept. And, of course, while I may complain that life is horribly unfair and nothing ever works out for me, at least I have a voice…and friends willing to listen.

Derek Ha: Thanksgiving: one day to express one year of bottled-up gratitude. Just for today, I am thankful for books, for eyeglasses, for Kleenex. Just for today, I am thankful for dumplings, for toothpaste, for Facebook. Just for today, I am thankful for chairs, for air conditioners, for maps, for cell phones, for being alive in general. Just for today, I am thankful for what I have every other day of the year.
    Don’t worry – I’ll be back to complaining tomorrow.

Kaitlyn Jeong: Right around this time of year, elementary schools are serving as the ultimate factories. They’re not manufacturing car parts or kitchen cabinets, per se, but are working in an industry just as intense and important: the demand for paper turkey centerpieces has increased tenfold. This is the time of year where production levels of the construction paper contractions need to be at its peak. There is little time to think of anything else. What are we thankful for? I don’t know, just hand me the fancy scissors.

Last edited by CoraOrmseth on Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    oisheeshemontee

Thanksgiving Empty Re: Thanksgiving

Post  oisheeshemontee Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:48 pm

By the Opinion Staff

Nuria Mathog: As a habitual cynic, it behooves me to admit each November that life could, in fact, be considerably worse. Ultimately, though, I am thankful for my gift of common sense—and common senses. I may rant endlessly about the revolting displays of hallway PDA, but I’m secretly grateful for my vision; otherwise, I’d be stuck juggling numbers and variables around in my head, the graphing calculator I take for granted rendered utterly useless by my lack of sight. I may fly into a rage at the mere sound of snapped gum ['gum snapping' sounds better], but without hearing, I’d be deprived of all the necessary comforts of my iPod, not to mention the reassuring laughter that lets me know I’m not totally socially [this part sounds awkward because of the 'ly' repetition - rephrase these few words] inept. And, of course, while I may complain that life is horribly unfair and nothing ever works out for me, at least I have a voice…and [better still,] friends willing to listen.

Derek Ha: Thanksgiving:[change the colon to a hyphen] one day [for us] to express one year['s worth] of bottled-up gratitude. Just for today, I am thankful for books, for eyeglasses, for Kleenex. Just for today, I am thankful for dumplings, for toothpaste, for Facebook. Just for today, I am thankful for chairs, for air conditioners, for maps, for cell phones, for being alive in general. Just for today, I am thankful for what I [take for granted] have every other day of the year.
    Don’t worry – I’ll be back to complaining tomorrow.

Kaitlyn Jeong: Right around this time of year, elementary schools are serving as [transform into] the ultimate factories. They’re not manufacturing car parts or kitchen cabinets,[remove the comma] per se, but are working in an industry just as intense and important: the demand for paper turkey centerpieces has increased tenfold. This is the time of year where production levels of the construction paper contractions [contraptions] need to be at its peak. There is little time to think of anything else. What are we thankful for? I don’t know, just hand me the fancy scissors.
    CoraOrmseth

Post  CoraOrmseth Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:33 pm

Sorry Oishee! We decided not to print this article. Thank you for copy editing though!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:56 am