The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

Germs are the Reason for Flu Season

theresalee

Germs are the Reason for Flu Season Empty Germs are the Reason for Flu Season

Post  theresalee Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:32 pm

Secrets to Steering Clear of Sicknesses!/A Healthy Body is a Happy Body/Germs are the Reason for Flu Season

It’s that time of year again! And no, I don’t mean the holidays. I’m talking about that year round period when everyone gets a visit from the…flu bug! We all get sick from time to time, but winter is the season when people are most vulnerable to illnesses. And I’m sure you wouldn’t want to be locked up in your room while your family is out snowboarding at Big Bear or playing with new presents. So, you want to know how to avoid catching that nasty cold or recover from that pestering flu? Read on for some tips:

1. Wash your hands frequently! Germs are spread most commonly by contact, especially through hands. In a 2005 survey of hand washing by the American Society for Microbiology, 68% of people said they did not wash their hands after sneezing or coughing. I’m not germophobic, but that is just disgustingly sick (no pun intended). You may want to think about washing your hands after you’ve used your best friend's pencil (which she borrowed from her boyfriend, who arm wrestled with his sick friend). A good 15-second washing should do the trick (that’s about the same amount of time for you to sing "Happy Birthday" once). Not only do you have a higher chance of preventing sickness for yourself, but also limit the chances of getting others sick as well.
    2. Take a daily dose of vitamins. Vitamin C is essential to keeping your immune system strong and armed. You can eat a few vitamin C pills or enough food that is high in vitamin C such as citruses, broccoli, papaya, mango, peppers, potatoes, or kiwi. Another source of vitamin C is the well-known cold prevention medicine called Airborne. These fizzy tablets provide heavy doses of vitamin C to strengthen your immune system.
    3. Drink lots of fluids. Keeping yourself hydrated is a must in keeping your body healthy and strong. When sick, you also need to balance out your body’s loss of fluids. By constantly replenishing your fluid intake, you can help your body excrete toxins, waste, and bacteria. It also doesn’t hurt to drink warm fluids, such as chicken noodle soup, to help clear mucus and keep warm. Stock up on some Gatorade or Smart Water, too, because they have electrolytes, which keep your body more hydrated than normal water.
    4. Rest up. Sleeping helps your body recover from and fight off sicknesses. Sheldon Cohen, a psychology professor at Carnegie Mellon University, notes that people who slept less than seven hours were about three times more likely to get a cold than people who slept eight hours or more a night. That's about... 99% of all students! When you are sick, sleep allows your body to concentrate all its energy into healing itself, as opposed to only partial use of energy during simple activities, such as watching TV. Try to get at least eight hours a night, especially all you procrastinators who “study” until three in the morning.

These are only a few suggestions for you to ward off the spreading sicknesses. If you follow them closely, I guarantee you will lessen the chances of catching a cold this winter. Remember to stay warm and stay healthy!

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:13 am