The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

3 posters

Rough: 10 words holiday season

christopherchen

Rough: 10 words holiday season Empty Rough: 10 words holiday season

Post  christopherchen Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:04 am

Ten words on the holiday season

Sufganiyot
    An oil fried jell doughnut that is eaten in celebration of Hanukkah.
    “Though I love sufganiyot, its 300 calories make me hesitate to gorge myself with them.”

Winter Solstice
    The longest night of winter (Dec 25), inspiring people to celebrate holidays of hope like Saturnalia and Christmas.
    “On the Winter Solstice, the Earth’s till in its axis is at its extremity.”

Odin
    The Norse god of Death that supposedly rode an eight-legged horse through the air- a reminiscence of Santa Claus- many portraits of Odin have a striking resemblance to Santa.
    “The Norse worshiped Odin as the chief god of the hunt, warfare, and death.”

Ho-Ho-Phobia
    The fear of a portly, bearded man with a red coat and black boots.
    “My Ho-Ho-Phobia makes me scared of the Santa Claus in the mall.”

Maccabee
    The Jewish rebel army that defeated the Syrians, whose celebration of their victory materialized the holiday of Hanukkah.
    “Judas Maccabeus was the leader of the Maccabee army who won over the Greek Syrians in about 160 B.C.E.”

Scrooge
    The famous character of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, literally meaning a miser or penny-pincher.
    “A asked for donations from my owner, but he refused me, the scrooge.”

Epiphany
    A Christian holiday on Jan 6, technically the official day you’re supposed to take down your Christmas decorations.
    “On Epiphany, our family argued over who was to take down the Christmas lights.”

Wassailing
    The root of caroling, going door-to-door wishing neighbors a long and prosperous life.
    “My friends and I went wassailing on Christmas.”

Mistletoe
    Actually a poisonous, parasite shrub, mistletoe has been used for decoration and hold sthe long-standing tradition of kissing the person under it.
    “Every Christmas, I hang a wreath of mistletoe over my doorway.”

Shunt
    The “second net” that connects the electric wire under the filament, completing the circuit even when a light bulb burns out.
    “Our father’s Christmas lights didn’t have shunts and the entire strand went out, forcing us to search for the bad bulb for hours.”
    jennylin

Rough: 10 words holiday season Empty Re: Rough: 10 words holiday season

Post  jennylin Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:02 am

You need an introduction and replace Winter Solstice, Scrooge, Maccabee, and Mistletoe with other words. They don't stand out as much as your other words.
    lenakalemkiarian

Post  lenakalemkiarian Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:15 pm

Sufganiyot
    An oil fried jell[jelly] doughnut that is eaten in celebration of Hanukkah.
    “Though I love sufganiyot, its 300 calories make me hesitate to gorge myself with them.”

Winter Solstice
    The longest night of winter (Dec 25)[Dec. 25], inspiring people to celebrate holidays of hope like Saturnalia and Christmas.
    “On the Winter Solstice, the Earth’s till in its axis is at its extremity.”

Odin
    The Norse god of Death that supposedly rode an eight-legged horse through the air- a reminiscence of Santa Claus- many portraits of Odin have a striking resemblance to Santa.

Ho-Ho-Phobia

Maccabee
    The Jewish rebel army that defeated the Syrians, whose celebration of their victory materialized the holiday of Hanukkah.
    “Judas Maccabeus was the leader of the Maccabee army who won over the Greek Syrians in about 160 B.C.E.”

Scrooge
    The famous character of Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, literally meaning a miser or penny-pincher.
    “A[I?] asked for donations from my owner, but he refused me, the scrooge.” [change, doesn't make sense]

Epiphany
    A Christian holiday on Jan 6[Jan. 6], technically the official day you’re supposed to take down your Christmas decorations.
    “On Epiphany, our family argued over who was to take down the Christmas lights.”

Wassailing
    The root of caroling, going door-to-door wishing neighbors a long and prosperous life.

Mistletoe
    Actually a poisonous, parasite shrub, mistletoe has been used for decoration and hold sthe [holds the] long-standing tradition of kissing the person under it.
    “Every Christmas, I hang a wreath of mistletoe over my doorway.”

Shunt
    The “second net” that connects the electric wire under the filament, completing the circuit even when a light bulb burns out.
    “Our father’s Christmas lights didn’t have shunts and the entire strand went out, forcing us to search for the bad bulb for hours.”.
    christopherchen

Rough: 10 words holiday season Empty Re: 10 words

Post  christopherchen Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:29 am

Everyone knows of and appreciates the holiday season and their traditions of foods and gifts. Here are some holiday words to facilitate your winter festivities.

Sufganiyot
    An oil fried jelly doughnut that is eaten in celebration of Hanukkah.

Odin

Ho-Ho-Phobia

Epiphany
    A Christian holiday on Jan. 6, technically the official day you’re supposed to take down your Christmas decorations.

Wassailing

Shunt
    “Our father’s Christmas lights didn’t have shunts and the entire strand went out, forcing us to search for the bad bulb for hours.”

Kallikantzari
    A gremlin-like spirit that priests would try to drive away at Christmas time by throwing a cross into a lake, sprinkling a house with holy water, etc.
    “The kallikantzari is a mischievous goblin that would try to cut down the trees that hold up the Earth.”

Kiritimati
    An island in the Pacific Ocean that was later dubbed Christmas Island when Europeans discovered them on Christmas day.
    “Kiritimati is the capital of Kiribati and has been the site for tourists everywhere.”

La Befana
    A witch who, according to Italian tradition, would travel by broom, drop through people’s chimneys, and leave gifts.
    “According to legend, La Befana had refused the Three Wise Men shelter, which she later regretted, prompting her later generosity to others.”

Krampus
    Santa’s assistant in European tradition who punished bad children as far to kidnap them or just a beating or lashing.
    “The legend of the Krampus has long scared children into behaving during the holiday season.”
    lenakalemkiarian

Post  lenakalemkiarian Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:44 pm

i dont think it needs anymore editing. good job!
    christopherchen

Rough: 10 words holiday season Empty Re; 10 words on holiday season

Post  christopherchen Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:37 pm

Everyone knows of and appreciates the holiday season and their traditions of foods and gifts. Here are some holiday words to facilitate your winter festivities.

Sufganiyot
    A deep fried jelly doughnut that is eaten during the celebration of Hanukkah.

Odin

Ho-Ho-Phobia
    “My ho-ho-phobia makes me scared of the Santa Claus in the mall.”

Epiphany
    A Christian holiday on Jan. 6, technically the official day you’re supposed to take down your Christmas decorations.

Wassailing

Shunt
    The “safety net” that connects the electric wire under the filament, completing the circuit even when the light bulb burns out.

Kallikantzari
    A gremlin-like spirit that priests would try to drive away at Christmas time by throwing a cross into a lake, sprinkling a house with holy water, etc.
    “The kallikantzari is a mischievous goblin that would try to cut down the trees that hold up the Earth.”

Kiritimati
    An island in the Pacific Ocean that was later dubbed Christmas Island when Europeans discovered it on Christmas day.
    “Kiritimati is the capital of Kiribati and has been the site for tourists everywhere.”

La Befana
    A witch who, according to Italian tradition, would travel by broom, drop through people’s chimneys, and leave gifts on Jan. 6.
    “According to legend, La Befana had refused the Three Wise Men shelter, which she later regretted, prompting her later generosity to others.”

Krampus
    Santa’s assistant in European tradition who punished bad children as far to kidnap them or just a beating or lashing.
    “The legend of the Krampus has long scared children into behaving during the holiday season.”

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:55 pm