The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

2 posters

New Semester Resolutions

nancyxiao

New Semester Resolutions Empty New Semester Resolutions

Post  nancyxiao Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:36 pm

New Semester Resolutions
    Now that a new semester is coming around, it’s time for some changes. It’s time to learn from my mistakes in first semester. Carpe Semester. (...I don't know if people will get this. I'll keep it for now and I'll see what the copy editor thinks. I tried to translate "semester" into latin, but the computer had the "VIOLATION" notice)
    1. I resolve to reinvent myself.
    New classes mean new people, and new classmates mean new first impressions. The turn of the semester is the time for me to be more confident, outgoing, anything I want to be! We all act certain ways in certain classrooms. I am very outgoing in English, but in AP Physics, hardly anyone knows my name. There are many reasons why people act different. For me, it depends mostly on the other classmates and the difficulty of the subject matter. Physics is full of upperclassmen and is a challenging course, so I never speak up. But the new semester is the time for me to change. Maybe the reason I struggled with Physics in the first semester is because I was too afraid to ask questions in class.
    2. I resolve to build closer bonds with my teachers.
    Getting close to your teachers does not always mean kissing-up. I find that teachers are my main source of knowledge; they’re simply fascinating. One of my teachers seemed intimidating and cold, but when I got to know him a little bit better, I found him to be charming, caring, and friendly. These friendships really help you grow on a maturity level. It’s not that high school students are not fun to converse with, but our teachers have gone through so much more life and have acquired so much more wisdom.
    3. I resolve to not overwhelm myself.
    At the beginning of every year, everyone wants to be in everything. Those “lucky” few who end up making everything they try out for find themselves occasionally overwhelmed. I have friends who stay home “sick” to finish their essay or study for an AP Biology test. I thought I could handle it at first, but now I have days where I have a speech tournament, newspaper deadlines, an English essay is due, and my friend is having a meltdown about a boy. Now, the easy solution would be to just not have friends…but I think I might just cut down on my extracurriculars.
    nancyxiao

New Semester Resolutions Empty Re: New Semester Resolutions

Post  nancyxiao Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:40 pm

forgot a conclusion:

Along with my resolution of not overwhelming myself with extracurriculars, I'm also going to not overwhelm myself with resolutions. These are simple, general resolutions that anyone can use. They are also more realistic and specific that "Eat healthy," so I won't quit by February. It's time to get motivated and get working.
    ashleychi

New Semester Resolutions Empty New Semester Resolutions

Post  ashleychi Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:12 pm

EDIT 1

New Semester Resolutions
    Now that a new semester is coming around, it’s time for some changes. It’s time to learn from my mistakes in first semester. Carpe Semester. (I get it! Carpe semester..seize the semester!(: but I couldn't find an English > Latin translator D:)

New classes mean new people, and new classmates mean new first impressions. The turn of the semester is the time for me to be more confident, outgoing, anything I want to be! We all act certain ways in certain classrooms. I am very outgoing in English, but in AP Physics, hardly anyone knows my name. There are many reasons why people act different. For me, it depends mostly on the other classmates and the difficulty of the subject matter. Physics is full of upperclassmen and is a challenging course, so I never speak up. But the new semester is the time for me to change. Maybe the reason I struggled with Physics in the first semester is because I was too afraid to ask questions in class.
    Getting close to your teachers does not always mean kissing-up. I find that teachers are my main source of knowledge; they’re simply fascinating. One of my teachers seemed intimidating and cold, but when I got to know him a little bit better, I found him to be charming, caring, and friendly. These friendships really help you grow on a maturity level. It’s not that high school students are not fun to converse with, but our teachers have gone through so much more life and have acquired so much more wisdom.
    At the beginning of every year, everyone wants to be in everything. Those “lucky” few who end up making everything they try out for find themselves occasionally overwhelmed. I have friends who stay home “sick” to finish their essay or study for an AP Biology test. I thought I could handle it at first, but now I have days where I have a speech tournament, newspaper deadlines, an English essay is due, and my friend is [a friend who is] having a meltdown about a boy. Now, the easy solution would be to just not have friends…but I think I might just cut down on my extracurriculars.

Along with my resolution of not overwhelming myself with extracurriculars, I'm also going to not overwhelm myself with resolutions. These are simple, general resolutions that anyone can use. They are also more realistic and specific that "Eat healthy," so I won't quit by February. It's time to get motivated and get working.
    nancyxiao

Post  nancyxiao Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:24 am

New Semester Resolutions
    Now that a new semester is approaching, it’s time for some changes. It’s time to learn from the mistakes I made this year and start fresh. Carpe Semester.

New classes mean new people, and new classmates mean new first impressions. The turn of the semester is the time for me to be more confident, outgoing, anything I want to be! We all act certain ways in certain classes. I am very outgoing in English, but in AP Physics, hardly anyone knows my name. There are many reasons why people act different. For me, it depends mostly on how well I know my classmates and the difficulty of the subject matter. Physics is full of upperclassmen and is a challenging course, so I never speak up. But the new semester is the time for me to change. Maybe the reason I struggled with Physics in the first semester is because I was too afraid to ask questions in class.
    At the beginning of every year, everyone wants to be in everything. Those “lucky” few who end up making everything they try out for find themselves occasionally overwhelmed. I have friends who stay home “sick” to finish their essays or study for AP Biology tests. I thought I could handle it at first, but now I have days where I have a speech tournament, newspaper deadlines, an English essay is due, and a friend who is having a meltdown about a boy. Now, the easy solution would be to not have friends…but I think I might just cut down on my extracurriculars.

Along with my resolution of not overwhelming myself with extracurriculars, I'm also not going to overwhelm myself with resolutions. These are simple, general resolutions that anyone can use. They are also more realistic and specific that "Eat healthy," so I won't quit by February. It's time to get motivated and get working.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:10 pm