The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

2 posters

Academic Decathlon

Joanna Liao

Academic Decathlon Empty Academic Decathlon

Post  Joanna Liao Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:17 pm

Academic Decathlon
    The beginning of second semester for AHS’ academic decathlon is starting off with a great start. Meeting twice a week after school for an hour and a half and once on the weekend for two hours, they study and work extremely hard for their upcoming competitions. On January 30th and February 6th, academic decathlon fought to the extreme, in a wide range of academic subjects. Composed of thirteen members separated into three divisions (honors, scholastic, and varsity), they each competed their hardest and sought for the win.
    Academic Decathlon had two separate competitions. The competition on January 30th took place at El Ranchos High School, and was composed of interview, speech, and essay. The second competition on February 6th took place in the USC Galen Center, and was made up of the remaining seven subjects: math, history, science, art, music, language literature, and economics. Sophomore Lynn Huang praises her teammates saying, “I think we did great. I know all of us tried super hard and really had to chip in because we got our study materials really late.” She also says that, “We compete against ourselves because there are just too many schools to keep track of everything! This year will have been a good one if our scores have gone up.” Other teammates had complex feelings going through the competition. Senior Lorsine Lai confesses that, “It was actually quite exhilarating experience, even though it wasn’t my first time competing. The Essay part of the competition revoked memories of AP English, and Interview was a bit nerve-wracking, since I was the second person to go. The impromptu portion of Speech was what I had worried most about, but I was able to ramble on for just enough time. It felt nice to be done at about 11:00 AM, when some other members finished at noon. I look forward to the next part of competition this Saturday, the objective part of Academic Decathlon.”
    Way to kick start off the year! Congratulations to the amazingly talented members in Academic Decathlon that tried their very best during the two competitions, and good luck for the remaining competitions in 2010!

*missing some scoring / placements & the second competition stuff cuz it didnt .. happen yet LOL*
    Joanna Liao

Academic Decathlon Empty Re: Academic Decathlon

Post  Joanna Liao Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:41 pm

Academic Decathlon
    The beginning of second semester for AHS’ academic decathlon is starting off with a great start. Meeting twice a week after school for an hour and a half and once on the weekend for two hours, the members study and work extremely hard for their upcoming competitions. On Jan. 30 and Feb. 6, Academic Decathlon fought to the extreme in a wide range of academic subjects. Composed of thirteen members separated into three divisions - honors, scholastic, and varsity - members performed their best and sought for the win.
    The competition was broken into two parts. The first competition on Jan. 30 took place at El Ranchos High School, and was composed of interview, speech, and essay. The second one on Feb. 6 took place in the USC Galen Center, and was made up of the remaining seven subjects: math, history, science, art, music, language literature, and economics. Sophomore Lynn Huang praises her teammates, “I think we did great. I know all of us tried super hard and really had to chip in because we got our study materials really late.” She also says that, “We compete against ourselves because there are just too many schools to keep track of everything! This year will have been a good one if our scores have gone up.” Other teammates had complex feelings going through the competition. Senior Lorsine Lai confesses that, “It was actually quite exhilarating experience, even though it wasn’t my first time competing. The Essay part of the competition revoked memories of AP English, and Interview was a bit nerve-wracking, since I was the second person to go. The impromptu portion of Speech was what I had worried most about, but I was able to ramble on for just enough time. It felt nice to be done at about 11:00 AM, when some other members finished at noon.”
    Way to kick start off the year! Congratulations to the amazingly talented members in Academic Decathlon that tried their very best during the two competitions, and good luck for the remaining competitions in 2010!
    Joe Tian

Post  Joe Tian Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:20 pm

Copy edit please =D
    Joanna Liao

Post  Joanna Liao Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Academic Decathlon
    The beginning of second semester for AHS’ academic decathlon is starting off with a great start. Starting their preparation for competitions during the summer, they also meet twice a week after school for an hour and a half and once on the weekend for two hours, the members study and work extremely hard for their upcoming competitions. On Jan. 30 and Feb. 6, Academic Decathlon fought to the extreme in a wide range of academic subjects. Composed of thirteen members separated into three divisions - honors, scholastic, and varsity - members performed their best and sought for the win.
    With about 53 schools competing, the French Revolution themed competition was broken into two parts. The first competition on Jan. 30 took place at El Ranchos High School, and was composed of interview, speech, and essay. Sophomore Lynn Huang praises her teammates, “I think we did great. I know all of us tried super hard and really had to chip in because we got our study materials really late.” She also says that, “We compete against ourselves because there are just too many schools to keep track of everything! This year will have been a good one if our scores have gone up.” Other teammates had complex feelings going through the competition. Senior Lorsine Lai confesses that, “It was actually quite exhilarating experience, even though it wasn’t my first time competing. The Essay part of the competition revoked memories of AP English, and Interview was a bit nerve-wracking, since I was the second person to go. The impromptu portion of Speech was what I had worried most about, but I was able to ramble on for just enough time. It felt nice to be done at about 11:00 AM, when some other members finished at noon.”
    The second competition on Feb. 6 took place in the USC Galen Center, and was made up of the remaining seven subjects: math, history, science, art, music, language literature, and economics. After the second weekend competition, Senior Lorsine Lai also declared that, “Math was killer, even Alison (Captain) thought so – and she’s the one who’s good at math. Chemistry was fun for me, but not so good for those who haven’t taken the class… the rest of the subjects were okay.” Academic decathlon got ready to leave at 7 am, and competed until around 5 pm that day. When asked about the 2nd competition, Sophomore Lynn Huang expressed her distressed emotions saying, "Ayyaa."

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:14 pm