The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

3 posters

ocean science bowl

Joanna Liao

ocean science bowl Empty ocean science bowl

Post  Joanna Liao Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:43 pm

OSB
    For most people, the ocean is a wonderful, beautiful, and large body of water in which marine animals live, swim, and play in. But for AHS’ Ocean Science Bowl (OSB), the lovers of the ocean have merged their love with another common interest – science.

On March 6, OSB struggled their way up to victory at the regionals competition located at Mark Taper Hall in the University of Southern California. Leading up to the competition, the team met twice a week, once in E-5 for one hour and again over the weekend for two hours. They studied a series of ocean-science relating topics and even worked on the minor worries such as buzzing skills. Prior to the competition, none of the competing members had ever competed in the OSB regional competition before so they went in without previous experience.

The night before the competition, each team member went to bed at 9 pm, a direct order from Captain Jason Jong to keep his team well rested and ready for their approaching struggle. After their extensive slumber, OSB gathered together at the AHS south parking lot at 6 am. Being the first to arrive at the competition, the team eagerly checked in at 7:30 am and finally, the competition began at 8 am. The competition was based on a series of tests on topics ranging from biology, chemistry, physics, geology, geography, and social sciences to technology, marine policy and current events.

Their first round and first game of the day was against University, and was won 110: 43. The next was against Troy, with the final score of troy leading 102:100. At the end, only Arcadia and Santa Monica was left. Senior Sherry Kuo said, “I remember I was gripping the buzzer like it was my lifeline but in the end, it all worked out fine.”

In the end, Jason answered the last question correctly and ended (and won) the game with 67:62. Sherry reminisced the victory saying, “I screamed and we were all hugging each other and slapping high-fives until my hand became red, but it didn’t matter because the two years of hard work from the returning members from last year had finally paid off. I’m just so proud of everyone because we all contributed to this group victory.”

Thus, OSB achieved first place and will be advancing on to nationals on April 23 to April 25 taking place in St. Petersburg, Florida. “First off, we really appreciate both advisors, Ms. Chow and Mrs. Cheryl Mynster for supporting us throughout the year, but I’d also like to thank all the OSB members for staying strong during a difficult transition year and ultimately, ending so well with this win. We’ve all gone through a lot of turmoil in OSB this year, but the hard work and effort we put in really paid off,” said Jason, “I don’t think a different combination of teammates would have worked as well as it did with us.” Good Job! AHS wishes OSB the best of luck at nationals in April!
    lenakalemkiarian

ocean science bowl Empty Re: ocean science bowl

Post  lenakalemkiarian Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:48 pm

OSB
    For most people, the ocean is a wonderful, beautiful, and large body of water in which marine animals live, swim, and play in. But for AHS’ Ocean Science Bowl (OSB), the lovers of the ocean have merged their love with another common interest – science.

On March 6 [Mar. 6] , OSB struggled their way up to victory at the regionals competition located at Mark Taper Hall in the University of Southern California[(USC)]. Leading up to the competition, the team met twice a week, once in E-5 for one hour and again over the weekend for two hours. They studied a series of ocean-science relating topics and even worked on the minor worries such as buzzing skills. Prior to the competition, none of the competing members had ever competed in the OSB regional competition before so they went in without previous experience.

The night before the competition, each team member went to bed at 9 pm[p.m.], a direct order from Captain Jason Jong to keep his team well rested and ready for their approaching struggle. After their extensive slumber, OSB gathered together at the AHS south parking lot at 6 am. Being the first to arrive at the competition, the team eagerly checked in at 7:30 am[a.m] and finally, the competition began at 8 am. The competition was based on a series of tests on topics ranging from biology, chemistry, physics, geology, geography, and social sciences to technology, marine policy and current events.

Their first round and first game of the day was against University, and was won 110: 43. The next was against Troy, with the final score of troy leading 102:100. At the end, only Arcadia and Santa Monica was left. Senior Sherry Kuo said, “I remember I was gripping the buzzer like it was my lifeline but in the end, it all worked out fine.”

In the end, Jason answered the last question correctly and ended (and won) the game with 67:62. Sherry reminisced the victory saying, “I screamed and we were all hugging each other and slapping high-fives until my hand became red, but it didn’t matter because the two years of hard work from the returning members from last year had finally paid off. I’m just so proud of everyone because we all contributed to this group victory.”

Thus, OSB achieved first place and will be advancing on to nationals on April 23 [Apr. 23] to April 25 [Apr. 25] taking place in St. Petersburg, Florida. “First off, we really appreciate both advisors, Ms. Chow and Mrs. Cheryl Mynster for supporting us throughout the year, but I’d also like to thank all the OSB members for staying strong during a difficult transition year and ultimately, ending so well with this win. We’ve all gone through a lot of turmoil in OSB this year, but the hard work and effort we put in really paid off,” said Jason, “I don’t think a different combination of teammates would have worked as well as it did with us.” Good Job! AHS wishes OSB the best of luck at nationals in April!
    Joanna Liao

Post  Joanna Liao Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:39 am

OSB

On Mar. 6, OSB struggled their way up to victory at the regionals competition located at Mark Taper Hall in the University of Southern California (USC). Leading up to the competition, the team met twice a week, once in E-5 for one hour and again over the weekend for two hours. They studied a series of ocean-science relating topics and even worked on the minor worries such as buzzing skills. Prior to the competition, none of the competing members had ever competed in the OSB regional competition before so they went in without previous experience.

The night before the competition, each team member went to bed at 9 p.m., a direct order from Captain Jason Jong to keep his team well rested and ready for their approaching struggle. After their extensive slumber, OSB gathered together at the AHS south parking lot at 6 am. Being the first to arrive at the competition, the team eagerly checked in at 7:30 a.m and finally, the competition began at 8 am. The competition was based on a series of tests on topics ranging from biology, chemistry, physics, geology, geography, and social sciences to technology, marine policy and current events.

Thus, OSB achieved first place and will be advancing on to nationals on Apr. 23 to Apr. 25 taking place in St. Petersburg, Florida. “First off, we really appreciate both advisors, Ms. Chow and Mrs. Cheryl Mynster for supporting us throughout the year, but I’d also like to thank all the OSB members for staying strong during a difficult transition year and ultimately, ending so well with this win. We’ve all gone through a lot of turmoil in OSB this year, but the hard work and effort we put in really paid off,” said Jason, “I don’t think a different combination of teammates would have worked as well as it did with us.” Good Job! AHS wishes OSB the best of luck at nationals in April!
    lenakalemkiarian

Post  lenakalemkiarian Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:18 pm

OSB

On Mar. 6, OSB struggled their way up to victory at the regionals competition located at Mark Taper Hall in the University of Southern California (USC). Leading up to the competition, the team met twice a week, once in E-5 for one hour and again over the weekend for two hours. They studied a series of ocean-science relating topics and even worked on the minor worries such as buzzing skills. Prior to the competition, none of the competing members had ever competed in the OSB regional competition before so they went in without previous experience.

The night before the competition, each team member went to bed at 9 p.m., a direct order from Captain [grade?]Jason Jong to keep his team well rested and ready for their approaching struggle. After their extensive slumber, OSB gathered together at the AHS south parking lot at 6 am[a.m.]. Being the first to arrive at the competition, the team eagerly checked in at 7:30 a.m[a.m.] and finally, the competition began at 8 am [a.m.]. The competition was based on a series of tests on topics ranging from biology, chemistry, physics, geology, geography, and social sciences to technology, marine policy and current events.

Thus, OSB achieved first place and will be advancing on to nationals on Apr. 23 to Apr. 25 taking place in St. Petersburg, Florida. “First off, we really appreciate both advisors, Ms. Chow and Mrs. Cheryl Mynster for supporting us throughout the year, but I’d also like to thank all the OSB members for staying strong during a difficult transition year and ultimately, ending so well with this win. We’ve all gone through a lot of turmoil in OSB this year, but the hard work and effort we put in really paid off,” said Jason, “I don’t think a different combination of teammates would have worked as well as it did with us.” Good Job! AHS wishes OSB the best of luck at nationals in April!
    Joanna Liao

Post  Joanna Liao Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:01 pm

OSB

The night before the competition, each team member went to bed at 9 p.m., a direct order from Captain, Senior Jason Jong to keep his team well rested and ready for their approaching struggle. After their extensive slumber, OSB gathered together at the AHS south parking lot at 6 a.m. Being the first to arrive at the competition, the team eagerly checked in at 7:30 a.m. and finally, the competition began at 8 a.m. The competition was based on a series of tests on topics ranging from biology, chemistry, physics, geology, geography, and social sciences to technology, marine policy and current events.

sallychung

Post  sallychung Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:28 am

For most people, the ocean is a wonderful, large body of water in which marine animals live, swim, and play in. But for Ocean Science Bowl (OSB), the lovers of the ocean have merged their love with another common interest – science.
    On Mar. 6, OSB struggled its way up to victory at the regionals competition located at Mark Taper Hall in the University of Southern California (USC). Leading up to the competition, the team met twice a week, once in E-5 for an hour and again over the weekend for two hours. They studied a series of ocean-science relating topics and even worked on the minor worries such as buzzing skills. Prior to the competition, none of the competing members had ever competed in the regional competition before.
    The night before the competition, each team member went to bed at 9 p.m., a direct order from senior captain Jason Jong to keep his team well rested and ready for their approaching struggle. After their extensive slumber, OSB gathered together at the AHS south parking lot at 6 a.m. Being the first to arrive at the competition, the team eagerly checked in at 7:30 a.m. The competition finally began at 8 a.m.
    Like other academic teams such as Quiz Bowl and Science Bowl, OSB competes in buzzer-based Jeopardy-styled tournaments. The competition was based on a series of tests on topics ranging from biology, chemistry, physics, geology, geography, and social sciences to technology, marine policy and current events. The main part of the competition is the tossups – at which the members race to answer questions. After correctly answering the tossup, the team huddles together to discuss the answer of a bonus question. In addition, there are team challenges, in which the team takes a written test.
    Their first round and first game of the day was against University, and was won 110:43. The next was against Troy, with the final score of Troy leading 102:100. At the end, only Arcadia and Santa Monica were left. Senior Sherry Kuo said, “I remember I was gripping the buzzer like it was the end of my life.”
    In the end, Jason answered the last question correctly and led AHS to victory. Sherry reminisced the victory saying, “I screamed and we were all hugging each other and slapping high-fives until my hand became red, but it didn’t matter because the two years of hard work had paid off. I’m just so proud of everyone because we all contributed to this group victory.”
    Thus, OSB achieved first place and will be advancing to nationals on Apr. 23, taking place in St. Petersburg, Florida. “First off, we really appreciate both advisors, Ms. Christina Chow and Mrs. Cherryl Mynster for supporting us throughout the year, but I’d also like to thank all the OSB members for staying strong during a difficult transition year. We’ve all gone through a lot of turmoil in OSB this year, but the hard work and effort we put in really paid off,” said Jason, “I don’t think a different combination of teammates would have worked as well as it did with us.” For those interested, tryout info will be posted in the bulletin in late April, and tryouts will occur in mid-May. Good Job! AHS wishes OSB the best of luck at nationals in April.

jliao@apachepowwow.com
    Graphics courtesy of BLOGSPOT.COM and FREECLIPARTNOW.COM

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 15, 2024 11:37 am