The Pow Wow Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Pow Wow Forum

The Apache Pow Wow

2 posters

10 words Easter

christopherchen

10 words Easter Empty 10 words Easter

Post  christopherchen Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:51 am

Faberge Egg
    Beautiful, gem encrusted Easter eggs usually containing jewelry or other valuables
    “I’ve once dreamed of collecting Faberge eggs but I couldn’t afford it.”

Eastre
    An Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring and fertility, the English spelling pronunciation being of course “Easter”
    “Eastre is usually depicted with eggs or rabbits, both a symbol of birth and abundance.”

Lent
    The forty-day long religious celebration of Jesus ending on Easter Sunday
    “Though Lent is forty days long, my only interest was indulging in Fat Tuesday before the first day of Lent.”

Pysanka
    A Ukrainian Easter egg, decorated with wax
    “Jerry meticulously put layer after layer of wax on his Ukrainian egg for hours before he was finished.”

Oschter Haws
    The original Easter bunny that in German folklore would come to deliver colored eggs on Easter morning
    “As an Easter tradition, some kids will make nests on the eve of Easter in hopes that Oschter Haws would give them gifts of eggs and chocolate.”

Begonia
    An Easter flower that means beware
    “Dick was surprised and flattered when Jane had given him a red flower but hadn’t realized it was a begonia.”

Egg Roll
    A game where whichever player could roll his or her egg the farthest could win
    “Nineteenth president of the US Hayes was the first to implement the annual Easter Egg Roll in the White House front lawn.”

Octave of Easter
    The week from Easter Sunday to the following Friday where the newly baptized would wear white for purity and joy
    “After the baptism, Daniel couldn’t find any of his white clothing and wouldn’t p=walk past the church all of the Octave of Easter.”

Pesach
    The Hebrew word for Passover and Easter
    “The Jewish Pesach is celebrated for only seven years, apposed to the Christian, forty-day Lent.”
    hanarudolph

10 words Easter Empty Re: 10 words Easter

Post  hanarudolph Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:51 am

Faberge Egg
    Beautiful, gem encrusted Easter eggs usually containing jewelry or other valuables.

Eastre
    An Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring and fertility; the English spelling pronunciation being of course [del] “Easter.
    “Eastre is usually depicted with eggs or rabbits, both a symbol of birth and abundance.”

Lent
    The forty-day long religious celebration of Jesus, ending on Easter Sunday.
    “Though Lent is forty days long, my only interest was indulging in Fat Tuesday before the first day of Lent.” [try not to make fun of religion.]

Pysanka
    A Ukrainian Easter egg, decorated with wax.
    “Jerry meticulously put layer after layer of wax on his Ukrainian egg for hours before he was finished.”

Oschter Haws
    The original Easter bunny that in German folklore would come to deliver colored eggs on Easter morning.
    “As an Easter tradition, some kids will make nests on the eve of Easter in hopes that Oschter Haws would give them gifts of eggs and chocolate.”

Begonia
    An Easter flower that means beware.
    “Dick was surprised and flattered when Jane had given him a red flower, but he didn't realize it was a begonia.”

Egg Roll
    A game in which whatever player can roll his or her egg the farthest wins.
    “The nineteenth President of the U.S., [first name?] Hayes, was the first to implement the annual Easter Egg Roll in the White House front lawn.”

Octave of Easter
    The week from Easter Sunday to the following Friday where the newly baptized would wear white for purity and joy.
    “After the baptism, Daniel couldn’t find any of his white clothing and wouldn’t p=walk past the church all of the Octave of Easter.”

Pesach
    The Hebrew word for Passover and Easter [pesach has nothing to do with easter: i don't know where you got that definition...]
    “The Jewish Pesach is celebrated for only seven years, apposed to the Christian, forty-day Lent.” [isn't there something else to say about pesach? you make it seem like the two events are celebrating/in honor of the same thing, which they're not. they're radically different in history, tradition and culture....]
    christopherchen

10 words Easter Empty re: Easter 10 words

Post  christopherchen Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Faberge Egg
    Beautiful, gem encrusted Easter eggs usually containing jewelry or other valuables.

Eastre
    An Anglo-Saxon goddess of spring and fertility; the English spelling pronunciation being “Easter.”

Lent
    The forty-day long religious celebration of Jesus, ending on Easter Sunday.
    “During the forty days of Lent, Christians must give up an indulgence until Easter Sunday.”

Pysanka
    A Ukrainian Easter egg, decorated with wax.

Oschter Haws
    The original Easter bunny that in German folklore would come to deliver colored eggs on Easter morning.

Begonia
    An Easter flower that means beware.
    “Dick was surprised and flattered when Jane had given him a red flower, but he didn't realize it was a begonia.”

Egg Roll
    A game in which whatever player can roll his or her egg the farthest wins.
    “The nineteenth President of the U.S., Rutherford Hayes, was the first to implement the annual Easter Egg Roll in the White House front lawn.”

Octave of Easter
    The week from Easter Sunday to the following Friday where the newly baptized would wear white for purity and joy.
    “After the baptism, Daniel couldn’t find any of his white clothing and wouldn’t walk past the church all of the Octave of Easter.”

Pesach
    The Hebrew word for Passover and is the Jewish version of Easter
    “Because they are both based on the lunar calendar, Pesach and Easter falls on the same day: the Sunday following the first full moon of spring.”
    hanarudolph

Post  hanarudolph Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:56 pm

Pesach
    The Hebrew word for Passover and is the Jewish version of Easter
    “Because they are both based on the lunar calendar, Pesach and Easter falls on the same day: the Sunday following the first full moon of spring.”

[again, you have this wrong. SO many people would take insult at that definition. I'm Jewish. please believe that Passover has NOTHING to do with Easter. and you're also wrong about the date. TOTALLY wrong. lunar calendar means it has nothing to do with days of the week-- its based on the moon's cycle.... Easter inevitably falls during the week of Passover, but that's because Easter is based historically off of Passover. However, the two celebrate different things, and if you want me to go into it, I'm more than happy to. But back to the dates, Passover does not have to start on Sunday, so again I have no idea where you're getting this source of information.]

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 3:00 am